Confirmed with Link: Darcy Regier Sr VP and Asst GM of AZ Coyotes

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
A pretty savvy guy with good contacts and experience working with a budget team. I like it a lot, I'm impressed, the only thing is that he could easily be recruited away.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Why did we wait till after the draft is my only question

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He was the guy who pried Danny Briere from us for Chris Gratton. So he can't be totally stupid. :D Plus, he played 16 games for the Roadrunners so it's almost a homecoming.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why did we wait till after the draft is my only question

To avoid any potential conflict of interests, real or perceived. Teams always wait until after the draft and the opening of UFA to make new hires official.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Because they see a guy who got fired, not one of the longest tenured small market GMs ever. They will endlessly recite all of his weaknesses without praising his strengths. He's the AGM, not the GM. He's there to offer ideas and for Don to use as a sounding board, not cure cancer. Treliving was much less qualified when he took the job.

I would have liked to see someone Don hadn't worked with previously. Perhaps a younger name that could offer some radical ideas.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because they see a guy who got fired, not one of the longest tenured small market GMs ever. They will endlessly recite all of his weaknesses without praising his strengths. He's the AGM, not the GM. He's there to offer ideas and for Don to use as a sounding board, not cure cancer. Treliving was much less qualified when he took the job.

I would have liked to see someone Don hadn't worked with previously. Perhaps a younger name that could offer some radical ideas.

If the Coyotes don't make the playoffs, you will probably see many radical changes and ideas.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The Yotes fans on Facebook are ripping this apart.

The average coyotes FB fan is a complete moron. There's more demands for Yandle's head than this board on it's most emo day, amongst other stupidity.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
For those wondering, here's his trade history: http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Darcy_Regier/68

Most impressive is the returns he got for guys that were being shown the door. A lot of the Sabres depth today is owed to Darcy. If it ever came to cracking open the roster after another bad year this season, he's a guy I want leading the charge.

Hodgson trade is a particular favorite of mine.

From the Sabres board:
OUT:
Miller
Halak (came in from Miller trade)
3rd round pick in 2015
Vanek
Pominville
Roy
Gaustad
Juuse Saros (2013 4th with the Goose trade)
Patrick Sieloff (2012 2nd rounder to trade up in 2012)

IN:
Chris Stewart
William Carrier
2015 1st (STL)
2016 3rd (STL)
Michal Neuvirth
Josh Gorges
Matt Moulson
Torrey Mitchell
Eric Cornel
Brycen Martin
Vaclav Karabacek
NYI 2015 1st
NYI 2015 2nd
Johan Larsson
Matt Hackett
Nikita Zadorov
Zemgus Girgensons

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The development system he built in Rochester was excellent. That was critical given the Sabres' shoe-string budget. Hopefully Regier can have a similar impact here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The development system he built in Rochester was excellent. That was critical given the Sabres' shoe-string budget. Hopefully Regier can have a similar impact here.

To be fair, that had a lot to do with the farm team being in the backyard of the parent team. I assume he'll keep a house somewhere in NY state and will be able to drop in on Portland more often. It sounds like he will accompany the team on eastern conference trips which will allow Don to get in more scouting time.

I'd like to stack Portland at this point and not rush guys like Rieder, Lessio, and Gaudet. Get a winning environment back there.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
To be fair, that had a lot to do with the farm team being in the backyard of the parent team. I assume he'll keep a house somewhere in NY state and will be able to drop in on Portland more often. It sounds like he will accompany the team on eastern conference trips which will allow Don to get in more scouting time.

I'd like to stack Portland at this point and not rush guys like Rieder, Lessio, and Gaudet. Get a winning environment back there.

I have to agree with this. With our new scout, new AGM, and their resumes, it just appears we are looking to the future. Let the young kids grow and mesh together. We might have a couple bumpy years here in the desert, but if all these kids pan out we could do great things.

Desertdog214

Feb 18, 2009
AZ
Ill say this....the Yotes could have spent what little money they have a lot more wisely if we could have gotten A "marquis" player....this budget crap is gonna get us NOWHERE.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I really do think, given all his comments, GMDM is trying to get younger. But I think he's trying to do that while remaining competitive, and that's a tall order.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I really do think, given all his comments, GMDM is trying to get younger. But I think he's trying to do that while remaining competitive, and that's a tall order.

I think the only issue here in the desert is you have to put a product on the ice to keep people going to games. We are in a position where we have to lose only a certain amount or ownership could move the team. All signs point to ownership wanting to stay here and want it to work. But that being said, I'd rather not give them a choice of opting out.

I would love to get younger, and a few years down the road, who knows, these young kids could grow and we could be a force to be reckoned with. I'd prefer home grown talent than buying rentals each year to stay competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad