Confirmed with Link: Darcy Regier Sr VP and Asst GM of AZ Coyotes

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They pull posts from that page quick. I criticized something they did that gave up a goal I think several years ago. I made the post from my phone while I was at the game. They deleted it and I posted something rude (I had one or 4 adult beverages in me) about them removing it and then they banned me. They are serious about being PC.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Im from Buffalo...let me tell you who Darcy is....

Of course he wont be making the calls so it will be different.

When he was in Buffalo as a GM:

1. He was strong in drafting.
2. He was strong when it came to the below the radar trades when its announced there were no rumors floating around about it.
3. He was very good when he was the seller and everyone was the buyer
4. He sucked when he was trying to buy and competing with others trying to buy. He didnt like to overpay for players
5. He tended to hold onto his players to long. An example of this was with Maxim Afinaganov. A player that rumors of being traded always floated around. He wouldnt trade him when his value was low, but when he got hot, he would then ask to much.
6. When he drafted he tended to be safe/conservative
7. He wouldnt roll the dice on trades and risk losing. He never bluffs--he is the player who bets only when they have 3 of a kind or better.

When he was an owner he dealth with all the sabres owners they have ever known. He was GM for a while in part because of this instability. When he came on board the original owners still owned (Seymour Knox and family), then adelphia cable owners (who are now in prison), then the NHL, then Galisano post bankruptcy, now Pegula.

When Galisano took over he gutted the scouting staff and only really cared about profit margins. During these years is when he lost Drury and Briere to UFA because the owner didnt want to spend.

He was one of the better Gms in drafting...especially in latter rounds. Outside the 2005-2007 period when the scouting staff was gutted, he drafted really well where Buffalo would usually get 2-3 NHL players per draft. He was good in getting players who could play in the NHL after the 3rd round.

He also was unique in that he didnt have to hire head coaches. When he came on board he hired Ruff because with him being new and didnt really know Ted Nolan he just wanted to give him a 1 yr contract. When Nolan wouldnt accept he hire Ruff. When it came time to hire a new coach....he didnt make an effort to interview coaches.

It was ironic to see when he was fired and Lafontaine came on board along with Nolan to be head coach.

Darcy was technically under contract through June 30 with Buffalo which is why he wasnt hired until now. I think technically he wasnt fired but reassigned just like the coach rolston wasnt fired but reassigned duties.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Another Sabres fan here:

Regier is very good at asset management. His draft record is usually only as good as his scouting department. When the ownership made the change the video scouting his drafts were alot of hit and miss. He also swung and missed at several 1st rounders, though, most of that was right when he signed on (Heistein, Kriukov, etc)

He tends to overvalue his own players, which meant he usually would get a good return whenever he traded one, which was rarely. The life span of most of the players that made the NHL was until their UFA year. He was often times TOO patient, citing 'costs' as to why he didn't make any deals.

Best example was 2006 when the Sabres were coming off the lockout. It was pretty clear they needed another top 4 defensemen. They kicked tires, but refused to get anyone at the deadline. The Sabres lost in the ECF to the Hurricanes? Why? Because the injuries on defense depleted their depth. Another was 2000-2001, when Micheal Peca was holding out for a new contract. The Sabres held tight to their asking price. So much so that the rumors of what they were being offered was astounding. The biggest rumor is that he was offered Jarome Iginla, just before he started scoring 50 goals a year, straight up for Peca, which he declined.

I honestly think he's learned alot since then, but he does need someone over him to guide him and push him to make good trades even if the cost is high. The one thing I would be worried about is that he is a yes man. He will do exactly what is asked. So, if Maloney is too overbearing, he will simply get a copy of himself rather than someone with different ideas who will argue a bit about value of players, team needs, etc.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Maloney made it sound like, with Darcy there, it will give DM a chance to get away from the team more, maybe to scout players himself or whatever. Said Darcy has pretty much seen and been through everything as a GM. I'm not sure how it's any different with Brad but I guess he wants to have a serious, experienced guy to handle things when he maybe can't. They know eachother from their NYI days so, they're close.

I always expected him to look for another.. up come comer, to replace Brad, not a guy who was once a top GM himself, going to assistant duties. But the way Don described it made a lot of sense to me. I guess because I still think of that time we got Muckler as a "special advisory asst. to the GM" or whatever the hell his role was. That press release came out and I never heard anything of him again.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think this good. Been around and has experience that is valuable. He seems very similar to DM so he will more than likely be onboard 100% with DM's plan for the future. Honestly I already think he is better than Brad T. As the new flames GM he has made some questionable moves and signings in my opinion.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As a Sabres fan, I can tell you Regier had a brilliant run under some pretty ridiculous restraints under old ownership here. He can be very good under bad financial circumstances. Also, he's a master at winning trades. His last trade for the Sabres -- the Vanek deal -- has been half-jokingly named "Sæhrímnir" on the Sabres board. Sæhrímnir is a pig from Norse mythology, who is slayed and eaten every night, and every morning is brought back to life to provide sustenance for the next day. He really set us up very well for our rebuild with the trades he made. He definitely has his weaknesses too. He can be very slow to react to things and often seems to let opportunities pass him by as a result, and his "vision" toward building a complete team seems to be lacking. In an AGM role, I don't think that should be a big issue for AZ since he won't be THE guy making the calls. I'm elated to have Murray here now, but am very happy that we had Regier as well. Good luck, hope he works out well for you guys.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Alright, what exactly is a Facebook? I get that it's for baby pictures and pictures of your lunch/dinner. But why would the Coyotes have a Facebook? What is the value of such a thing? Is ad space sold? What's the scoop?

Also, Instagram is for pictures of stuff. What the hell is Facebook for, then? Is it not for pictures of stuff?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But why would the Coyotes have a Facebook? What is the value of such a thing? Is ad space sold? What's the scoop?

It's just another style of twitter account for businesses, essentially. It's so easy that there's no reason to not have one. It's just one of the main ways you can interact with fans.

You can pay to advertise with Facebook but it's pretty much a scam.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Kinda swept under the rug, but the Coyotes hired former Sabres coach Ron Rolston as a professional scout.

Three things about Rolston:
1) He wears gardening gloves during practice. Please keep the Sabres board posted if he takes notes and types scouting reports with these puppies.
mGrlXCX.jpg

2) He is a big time drinker.

WnjhZ8L.gif

3) Zippers blow his mind.
SgkImTb.gif

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Three things about Rolston:
1) He wears gardening gloves during practice. Please keep the Sabres board posted if he takes notes and types scouting reports with these puppies.
mGrlXCX.jpg

2) He is a big time drinker.

WnjhZ8L.gif

3) Zippers blow his mind.
SgkImTb.gif

Like the guy already. Thanks for these. I will send any along of him in Yotes gear.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Oh God, he was as bad as Dallas Eakins.

He was a bad NHL coach but that doesn't mean he doesn't know hockey well enough to be a good scout. He was successful working with youngsters in the NTDP. He had no business being an NHL head coach when he hadn't yet proven himself as an AHL head coach. He seemed to have little idea how to properly manage professionals and the systems he installed were lousy. All I know is that he's going to come into this situation thirsty for success. So, so very thirsty.

To be fair, that had a lot to do with the farm team being in the backyard of the parent team. I assume he'll keep a house somewhere in NY state and will be able to drop in on Portland more often. It sounds like he will accompany the team on eastern conference trips which will allow Don to get in more scouting time.

I'd like to stack Portland at this point and not rush guys like Rieder, Lessio, and Gaudet. Get a winning environment back there.

I know this is an old comment, but I'll point out that Portland, not Rochester, was our affiliate from '08-'09- - '10-'11, and things didn't skip a beat. Those years were quite good developmentally under coach Kevin Dineen. Not that this really detracts from your point.

Darcy is a good, highly experienced hockey man with a keen mind for deals. We can question his ability to conceptualize and build a contending team, to know when to give up on someone he was high on, etc, but he would be an asset to any organization in the capacity he's been hired in. Getting plugged into a quality front office there in Arizona will pay off for the Yotes and probably serve to re-energize Darcy after spending so many years in the same position.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad