Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Think the Kuraly thing is more because he’s a 4th loner. Anything you actually get offensively is a bonus. I do agree he’s been poor this year though. As has Wagner.

Heinen in the top 9 though is expected to produce something. He’s just....unpainted drywall. Does the job fine. But there’s better options out there at this point.
"unpainted drywall" is the best analogy I've seen for him yet lol.

I'm still on the fence about Heinen. He's so goddamn boring to watch, but he is fairly productive and rarely hurts you. I think the fact that he gets worse in the playoffs is probably why I'd part with him if necessary, but I could also see him being a guy who surprises and goes on a tear at just the right time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You stated: At this rate, I just want Heinen to be traded so he can have success somewhere else....then I can listen to those people who ***** about him, turn around and complain he was traded.

Never said you did. My reply was simply pointing out that many of the people who are down on Heinen do not have a track record of complaining about a trade they once championed. In fact most of our past analysis turned out to be correct, and there was no chance of hypocrisy on mine or others part.

So then your post was just to post yourself on the back, got it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Funny to see this thread so active after yesterday's game. I thought he played really well. Disruptive and skilled. He made some plays.

I think he's going to be dealt. And I think he's going to be a very good player for his new team for many years. We'll hear "where was this guy when he played for the Bruins?" And he'll be the same guy in a system more suited to him.
I think he'd be very good with Coyle & Bjork down the stretch, but until the Bruins get a legit 2nd line RW like a Palmieri to take some heat off of Heinen he's going to continue to have more spotlight on him than he deserves.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I wouldn't call this patting myself on the back seeing as it hasn't happened. But hey to each their own.

Are you not looking forward to taking a victory lap for something that hasn't happened yet?

Now please explain how that is somehow better than me pointing out where I and others were correct in the past.

Reactions: Mpasta

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Are you not looking forward to taking a victory lap for something that hasn't happened yet?

Now please explain how that is somehow better than me pointing out where I and others were correct in the past.

No, not really. If he's traded I hope I'm dead wrong TBH. If I'm right it means we'll have lost a good player. Lets just hope if he's traded its in a package for someone like Palmieri and it propels us to a cup.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No, not really. If he's traded I hope I'm dead wrong TBH. If I'm right it means we'll have lost a good player. Lets just hope if he's traded its in a package for someone like Palmieri and it propels us to a cup.

Sorry if I took you wanting him to be traded and succeed elsewhere so you can listen to the hypocrisy of his detractors as you actually wanting him to be traded and succeed elsewhere so you can listen to the hypocrisy of his detractors.

My bad. I often miss the subtlety of these things. :huh:

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sorry if I took you wanting him to be traded and succeed elsewhere so you can listen to the hypocrisy of his detractors as you actually wanting him to be traded and succeed elsewhere so you can listen to the hypocrisy of his detractors.

My bad. I often miss the subtlety of these things. :huh:

I want to see him succeed here, but I don't know that'll happen (or he'll ever live up to other expectations). But don't get me wrong, it would be entertaining as hell to listen to folks bitch if it happened. Would everyone? no, but there is a select group that would.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For the first time in recent memory, Danton's thread had slipped to the second page! We can't have that, as we all know he is the ultimate hero or the ultimate goat for the Bruins :naughty:

However, Fluto had a nice piece in the Atlantic today about the recent scratches, and this ought to settle the question about Danton's recent benching, from the coach's mouth:

Benchings, meetings, dismissals: The inside story of the...

Danton Heinen is a good player. His sweet spot is as a third-liner. But Heinen’s smarts, dependability and skating have allowed Cassidy to shift him from left to right and up and down the top three lines. Heinen’s seen time as the net-front presence on the No. 1 power-play unit. He’s killed penalties in a pinch.

But Heinen’s competitiveness on the puck had slipped. After being banged up for the Bruins’ 6-1 win over Minnesota on Feb. 1, Heinen was a healthy scratch against Vancouver on Feb. 4. Sean Kuraly, told to take a seat against the Wild, replaced Heinen as No. 3 left wing. As usual, Cassidy gave it to Heinen straight.

“Now you’re showing a guy losing battles,” Cassidy said of a video session he had with Heinen. “That’s a little more difficult. Players can take that either way. That wasn’t an easy one with him.”

Cassidy likes Heinen. The 24-year-old has gained the coach’s trust. In that way, Cassidy did not want to stretch out Heinen’s sitdown. But Cassidy also liked how Kuraly played with Charlie Coyle and Anders Bjork.

So Cassidy scratched Heinen for two more games. Cassidy explained the situation to Heinen. He also asked assistant coaches Joe Sacco and Jay Pandolfo to reinforce positive messaging and help Heinen uplift his game.

“It’s better to have guys sitting out that you feel can help you,” Cassidy said, “than guys who are sitting out that you’re like, ‘Well, even if I change it, we’re no better.’ It’s a good problem to have. I’ll take it any day of the week.”
Cassidy gave Heinen the green light against Detroit on Feb. 9 and Montreal on Wednesday.

“It sucks not playing and not helping the team,” Heinen said. “I’m not trying to change anything. I kind of know what’s made me successful. Just try to keep on working, keep getting better and keep trying to improve and help the team any way you can. When you do get in, you just stick to your roots and work as hard as you can.”

Cassidy thought Heinen was better against the Canadiens. It is not to say, however, that Heinen’s job is guaranteed. Blidh and Par Lindholm, scratched against Montreal, do not want to remain out of uniform for long.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
I wonder about Heinen detractors. would they prefer a team full of minuses that score a lot? "I am tired of winning -- I want to see our effective players stop playing well and just score more goals." like rock AND roll, the slash punctuation is the ass of the plus/minus; I suspect that a lot of haters have no grasp of the balance. they'd probably love a team of
Spooner/Seguin/Pastrnak
Vatrano/Savard/Ryder
all flash, no wins. yay? the Bruins would be dumb to move Heinen. simple math. now... somebody please quote the rest of that article elsewhere; we have the Heinen stuff here and the Grzelcyk stuff in the thread about the article itself -- what is left remaining to read?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I wonder about Heinen detractors. would they prefer a team full of minuses that score a lot? "I am tired of winning -- I want to see our effective players stop playing well and just score more goals." like rock AND roll, the slash punctuation is the ass of the plus/minus; I suspect that a lot of haters have no grasp of the balance. they'd probably love a team of
Spooner/Seguin/Pastrnak
Vatrano/Savard/Ryder
all flash, no wins. yay? the Bruins would be dumb to move Heinen. simple math. now... somebody please quote the rest of that article elsewhere; we have the Heinen stuff here and the Grzelcyk stuff in the thread about the article itself -- what is left remaining to read?
I wonder if the cult members realize that his detractors would like a defensive third line winger to show some passion, maybe, just maybe, throw a hit once in a while, not get knocked off the puck frequently and score once in a while.

Maybe the detractors are tired of hearing nonsense like he should be put in top 6 to "extend" the line up?

He is too soft to play fourth line, not talented enough to be a top 6 so he is only viable as the third line LW. I can think of a number of players I would rather have in that spot.

He will hopefully be gone in a few days.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Spooner/Seguin/Pastrnak
Vatrano/Savard/Ryder

I could be wrong, but last time I checked, Spooner isn't even in the NHL anymore. I'd say Boston dodged that potential bullet. :laugh:

I appreciate that Danton came into the league with a defensive-minded prowess. It's one reason I was hoping he'd pan out and become a two way guy for sure. I just don't know if it's gonna happen. If he can be part of a trade that does in fact bring a guy like Kreider or Palmieri or even Toffoli in, I make that trade 8/10 times.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I wonder if the cult members realize that his detractors would like a defensive third line winger to show some passion, maybe, just maybe, throw a hit once in a while, not get knocked off the puck frequently and score once in a while.

Maybe the detractors are tired of hearing nonsense like he should be put in top 6 to "extend" the line up?

He is too soft to play fourth line, not talented enough to be a top 6 so he is only viable as the third line LW. I can think of a number of players I would rather have in that spot.

He will hopefully be gone in a few days.

I'll still never stop shaking my head at the image of Kuhlman fighting the much larger Sbisa in a pretty intense game, while Heinen is there in the background, just skating away, without even taking a glance at the fight.

He's just the worst case example of 20 something college kids in the NHL. A freaking vanilla cookie, with the emotion of a palace guard and the intensity of a beagle puppy.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'll still never stop shaking my head at the image of Kuhlman fighting the much larger Sbisa in a pretty intense game, while Heinen is there in the background, just skating away, without even taking a glance at the fight.

He's just the worst case example of 20 something college kids in the NHL. A freaking vanilla cookie, with the emotion of a palace guard and the intensity of a beagle puppy.

I see no future for Heinen in Boston, however servicable. Par Lindholm, John Moore, the same. That's just me. Sweeney and Neely may feel differently. To me, there JAGs.

I would package Matt Grzelcyk in a deal, too, perhaps including the above. I like Matt, but the B's need to add inexpensive, young, size and strength on the backend (Lauzen) while keeping Tory Krug.

Find some more size and physicality, and a wing for DK, and I'm a bit more confident come playoff time.

The Bruins have played much better since the break. With physicality and for one another. They're still undersized. With Sweeney and Neely, not certain this need will be addressed.

Reactions: sarge88

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I see no future for Heinen in Boston, however servicable. Par Lindholm, John Moore, the same. That's just me. Sweeney and Neely may feel differently. To me, there JAGs.

I would package Matt Grzelcyk in a deal, too, perhaps including the above. I like Matt, but the B's need to add inexpensive, young, size and strength on the backend (Lauzen) while keeping Tory Krug.

Find some more size and physicality, and a wing for DK, and I'm a bit more confident come playoff time.

The Bruins have played much better since the break. With physicality and for one another. They're still undersized. With Sweeney and Neely, not certain this need will be addressed.

Lindholm's not going anywhere. He's the team's reserve center and the Bs must have a reserve center in the playoffs. They won't call up Studnicka again this season unless things get really desperate, and if we see Frederic being dressed for a playoff game that's the time to be afraid. Gryz is staying too. Boston born and bred, well and truly earned his spot in the team as the play-maker for the 3rd pair, makes zero sense for him to go or be sent anywhere else at this point. We just re-signed Lauzon for peanuts so there is no issue with retaining both of them plus Krug.

I agree on Moore and Heinen though. Moore is done here - the guy is NHL quality and would easily make the top 6 D of at least half the teams in the league, but he's just depth on the Bruins and wasted cap space. So let him go somewhere where he can get a lot more TOI. Heinen has more of a role but he doesn't do much that the improving Bjork can't and if I had to choose which one to keep it would be Anders. If they both stay I'm fine with that as long as we can still afford to acquire the extra piece/s we need, and Heinen and Kuhlman can then fight it out for the 3RW spot. But if Heinen can or needs to be traded as part of a package for a legit 2nd-line in return then Sweeney needs to make that move.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Taken from the last Trade Rumors thread;

“Heinen has 22 points in 55 games while Nordstrom has 7 in 42 games. Heinen is bringing 3 times the production Nordstrom is.” -Arider

Interesting to note Heinen has 7 goals in 55 games, Nordstrom has 4 in 42. 3 of Heinen’s goals have come on the PP. Pretty certain Nordstrom has seen no PP time. Now factor in that Heinen has seen more offensively advantageous 5 on 5 time on L3...and more games played...earning more than twice as much...that 3x crappy production...is, you guessed it, still crappy.

Look, the point is they are both dog **** offensively. Yes, comparing Heinen to Nordstrom is glaring...that’s my point. Based on current production they both fall into the category of poor offensive players. But only one of them has trade value greatly exceeding his current production. Sell DS, sell! Let some other team that’s looking long term take him on. That’s not us, right now.
I need players with a offensive clue on L3. A inkling.

Last edited:

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Taken from the last Trade Rumors thread;

“Heinen has 22 points in 55 games while Nordstrom has 7 in 42 games. Heinen is bringing 3 times the production Nordstrom is.” -Arider

Interesting to note Heinen has 7 goals in 55 games, Nordstrom has 4 in 42. 3 of Heinen’s goals have come on the PP. Pretty certain Nordstrom has seen no PP time. Now factor in that Heinen has seen more offensively advantageous 5 on 5 time on L3...and more games played...earning more than twice as much...that 3x crappy production...is, you guessed it, still crappy.

Look, the point is they are both dog **** offensively. Yes, comparing Heinen to Nordstrom is glaring...that’s my point. Based on current production they both fall into the category of poor offensive players. But only one of them has trade value greatly exceeding his current production. Sell DS, sell! Let some other team that’s looking long term take him on. That’s not us, right now.
I need players with a offensive clue on L3. A inkling.
Then Bjork should be called out also since he only has 18 points this season in 52 games. Also looking at the 2 biggest threats talked about here to the Bruins, Tampa and Washington. The leading scorer between both teams 3rd lines is Tyler Johnson with 28 points in 55 games. The next closest is Pat Maroon with 20 points in 55 games. I guess both of those teams have shitty 3rd lines in that case.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Then Bjork should be called out also since he only has 18 points this season in 52 games. Also looking at the 2 biggest threats talked about here to the Bruins, Tampa and Washington. The leading scorer between both teams 3rd lines is Tyler Johnson with 28 points in 55 games. The next closest is Pat Maroon with 20 points in 55 games. I guess both of those teams have ****ty 3rd lines in that case.

Bjork has received basically no PP time while Heinen received plenty, a lot of it on the top unit. Give Bjork the PP time that Heinen received this year and his numbers would jump considerably.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Apologies to those I said you shouldn't deal Heinen for Wood or Virtanen. My mistake.

Rangers and Devils are both going to want Bjork over Heinen, so I am assuming he's here to stay, unless they need the money to work, which means they will have to add more value to a Heinen deal IMO.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bjork has received basically no PP time while Heinen received plenty, a lot of it on the top unit. Give Bjork the PP time that Heinen received this year and his numbers would jump considerably.

Perhaps, but isn't it telling that the coaching staff believes he doesn't deserve/wouldn't thrive if given PP time?

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Perhaps, but isn't it telling that the coaching staff believes he doesn't deserve/wouldn't thrive if given PP time?
Marchand had to wait a while to get regular pp minutes and had seasons where he put up more points sh than on the pp. We can look back and think that was dumb. Bjork should be getting pp time over Heinen

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not so sure that`s true, it`s clear that Butch puts him on the PP for one reason and almost exclusively one reason only, to plant himself right in front of the net and be a pain in the arse and while he won`t get any credit for doing so on here, he`s done that very well, if he did what I see too many do and that is subtly shift to the side of the net rather than plant his feet and make it difficult for the goalies to see or follow the puck, one could argue that those one timers we see from Pasta might not go in with the frequency they have.

He`s done a solid job on the PP, I don`t have the skills nor the time to go back and review the PP goals but if I did, I`ll wager we`d see a ton of goals that Heinen standing where he should be often resulted in goalies not being able to track the puck quickly enough to slide from one side to the other nearly quick enough

Has it resulted in pts on the PP? Nope, he`s also not being asked to play the perimeter and feed pucks to Pasta/Bergy or whomever, he has essentially being asked to do what Backes did

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad