Player Discussion Danton Heinen V (re-signed 2 years, $2.8M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I would like a player who over the last six years averaged this and I think Heinen is that player (or better)

77gp 19-30-49, 63hits, 48tka, first unit pp, first unit pk, averages over 1.0ppg in 28 play-off games

who am I?

No idea who it is Lou....but if Heinen could average 19 goals and 1.0 ppg in the playoffs, instead of his 13 goals and .28 ppg in the playoffs or whatever, it would be a nice change.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what's so tough about a clown like Scott Steven's hiding behind his defensive partner and then launching himself at the head of an unsuspecting player. Ending the career of a five foot nine hundred and 185 pound guy like Paul Kariya, while being six two and having 40 pounds on him. Seems really tough to me. :laugh:

I'd say that's opposite of tough. In fact it's downright cowardly. Just because predatory head shots were legal back then doesn't make it okay or tough. It makes it a dirt bag move because he should have known better and shown his fellow players respect enough to not end their careers with shit like that. But he was a complete asshat, so it's not surprising.

As for Heinen, again, I'm not even a big fan, but applying a mythical toughness factor using criteria from 30 years ago is nonsense. Back when I started watching hockey in the 70s, guys were tough and the fights were cool because they were out of actual anger from things that happened in the game. The players policed themselves and it worked. Today it's a polite invitation to a staged fight that is more grabbing of the jersey than throwing punches with bad intentions. It's the way the league is now, and it's why this vaunted toughness some people continue to long for is so off base. In yesterday's NHL, Heinen would not be a viable player. In today's game though, he is and he's absolutely worth that contract. End of story.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I want a player that is going to make opposing team fans lose their minds like they did when Lucic, McQuaid and Thorton were here. a few tough guys will make a big difference, and is a huge benefit when playing the more physical teams.

Back to Heinen, I'd like him to stay but at an affordable cap hit.

I love tough guys but we are shipping them all out not going after them.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what's so tough about a clown like Scott Steven's hiding behind his defensive partner and then launching himself at the head of an unsuspecting player. Ending the career of a five foot nine hundred and 185 pound guy like Paul Kariya, while being six two and having 40 pounds on him. Seems really tough to me. :laugh:

I'd say that's opposite of tough. In fact it's downright cowardly. Just because predatory head shots were legal back then doesn't make it okay or tough. It makes it a dirt bag move because he should have known better and shown his fellow players respect enough to not end their careers with **** like that. But he was a complete asshat, so it's not surprising.

As for Heinen, again, I'm not even a big fan, but applying a mythical toughness factor using criteria from 30 years ago is nonsense. Back when I started watching hockey in the 70s, guys were tough and the fights were cool because they were out of actual anger from things that happened in the game. The players policed themselves and it worked. Today it's a polite invitation to a staged fight that is more grabbing of the jersey than throwing punches with bad intentions. It's the way the league is now, and it's why this vaunted toughness some people continue to long for is so off base. In yesterday's NHL, Heinen would not be a viable player. In today's game though, he is and he's absolutely worth that contract. End of story.

Maybe Stevens was the wrong example.

I just fail to see the toughness in doing something that everyone in the league does.

Everyone can’t be tough.

Also I’ll contend that if the Bruins had a little more toughness up front we might have had the chance to attend a parade in June.

Not saying Heinen was their only issue...they just weren’t tough enough as a whole.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I'd say that's opposite of tough. In fact it's downright cowardly. Just because predatory head shots were legal back then doesn't make it okay or tough. It makes it a dirt bag move because he should have known better and shown his fellow players respect enough to not end their careers with **** like that. But he was a complete asshat, so it's not surprising.

As for Heinen, again, I'm not even a big fan, but applying a mythical toughness factor using criteria from 30 years ago is nonsense. Back when I started watching hockey in the 70s, guys were tough and the fights were cool because they were out of actual anger from things that happened in the game. The players policed themselves and it worked. Today it's a polite invitation to a staged fight that is more grabbing of the jersey than throwing punches with bad intentions. It's the way the league is now, and it's why this vaunted toughness some people continue to long for is so off base. In yesterday's NHL, Heinen would not be a viable player. In today's game though, he is and he's absolutely worth that contract.

Stevens was dirty, like a lot of guys back then and I despised him but he was tough because he would fight when challenged for his hits. Ulf....not so much.

Regarding fights in general. I’d have agreed with you 20 years ago but the staged fights have gone away. Today’s fights aren’t like that anymore. They’re definitely not as vicious but that’s because they respect the linesmen and don’t fight through or over them.

As for the overarching point about toughness in general.

I guess I’ll have to ask, if Danton Heinen is tough, who isn’t?

I’m really not being a smart***. I just don’t understand how people so easily use the same word to describe him and McQuaid or Chara or even Bergeron for playing with the injuries he did.

There has to be a distinction in people’s minds.

If I just run down the list of Bruins I have to go 20 deep before I get to a guy that I think maybe Heinen could be tougher than.
And that’s Kuhlman but only because I’ve only seen the handful of games he’s played and don’t know much about him prior to that.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins get run out of the finals by the Blues and some are saying Danton Heinen is tough.

Yup they needed another Heinen to counteract the Blues D plastering them all series, makes sense:sarcasm:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The 5 centers traded for or drafted that are in the mix are all between 6’2”- 6’4”

Coyle
Kuraly
Frederic
Studnicka
Beecher

Looks like a pattern
Yes and a good one. As I have said I dont think any of them besides Studnicka are top 6 players but Frederic and Beecher I expect to have really good careers as bottom 6 guys with size who are willing to hit and fight. Add in Beechers speed and possibly having some offensive upside I like what I see here.

Sweeney really overestimated the speed and skill part being more important than having a mix with some size and toughness, he seems to be trying to make up for that in the last couple drafts.

He still gets a D- for not getting Ferland and never showing enough urgency in upgrading the team, oh and 2015

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yes and a good one. As I have said I dont think any of them besides Studnicka are top 6 players but Frederic and Beecher I expect to have really good careers as bottom 6 guys with size who are willing to hit and fight. Add in Beechers speed and possibly having some offensive upside I like what I see here.

Sweeney really overestimated the speed and skill part being more important than having a mix with some size and toughness, he seems to be trying to make up for that in the last couple drafts.

He still gets a D- for not getting Ferland and never showing enough urgency in upgrading the team, oh and 2015

You're underestimating what Sweeney has done ( and attempted to do ). Each year under Sweeney, the Bruins have improved and have gone all the way to the brink of winning the Cup. So how can you say he's overestimated his franchise crafting? Every year, he's tried to add either size, toughness, or both and those players have been a mixed bag. Still, the attempt was made and the onus of failure falls mostly on the players. Beleskey was suddenly determined to eat his way out of the league. Injuries and father time caught up to Backes. Jimmy Hayes was too sensitive to play the hometown crowd. Rinaldo was a headcase. Wagner and Coyle so far have been his biggest adds in the toughness and moxy department. Same with Kuraly.

So slow this bullshit of blah blah blah moar toughness blah blah blah already. We just saw a great Bruins team last season that showed heart, determination and toughness all year, despite your hyperbole over the Blues. You're looking for overestimating? Look no further than your description of the Blues play in the Finals, holy cow.

Last edited:

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I'm getting some ROR vibes when I look at the way Heinen is trending. Not stylistically, but more towards production and flexibility in his use throughout the lineup. Defensively sound, showing flashes of offensive ability at times. I get Carlo and Mac aren't signed yet, but if one disregards that, it's a nice contract for a guy who could have a breakout year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad