Dano

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
In regards to needing a lw. I think Hossa might be the solution on the top line moving TT to the rw (I know I keep harping on this). PD should fill the 3c role but I think we need a short term wing for the 3rd line while Dano develops. I think Morin or McNeill could work but who knows.

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
Nobody is saying that Dano sitting in the press box is better than him playing in Rockford. Playing hockey, no matter where, is always better than not playing hockey.

My contention was that Dano's game is not going to measurably improve by him spending time in Rockford. If they send Dano down now, if and when they decide to call him back up, they are going to get the same Dano and the same game (with all the issues that are currently keeping him off the roster).

For Dano to grow as a player he needs to play in the NHL.

Disagree. Look at players like Nuquist, Tatar and TT, to name a few who have benefited from not being rushed. The players don't like it much but there are precious few who are truly ready for the NHL at Dano's age. And Q is not one to let a kid develop in the NHL. We all know that.

I don't know enough about Nyquist or Tatar (were they tried at the NHL level, then sent down, and then brought back up during a season? [*] ), but in my eyes TT's sting in Rockford last season didn't really help him much. Just like this season, he needs to play through his ups and downs and maybe he'd be in a better place now (more consistent) if he already had one full season under his belt.

[*] I know the Wings did that to Jurco when they had him play two seasons ago in the NHL when the team was ravished by injuries, but once they were out of the playoffs they sent him back to Grand Rapids rather than allow him to play for Team Slovakia at the IIHF World Championship. But that doesn't really count since the Wings' NHL season was over already.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In regards to needing a lw. I think Hossa might be the solution on the top line moving TT to the rw (I know I keep harping on this). PD should fill the 3c role but I think we need a short term wing for the 3rd line while Dano develops. I think Morin or McNeill could work but who knows.

I'd rather see Hossa on the LW at this point than TT. All of TT's best plays have come from his off-wing (ie, the right side). Including his two latest goals.

Hossa's not putting much in the net right now anyway. Maybe swapping sides will be a shock to the system.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'd rather see Hossa on the LW at this point than TT. All of TT's best plays have come from his off-wing (ie, the right side). Including his two latest goals.

Hossa's not putting much in the net right now anyway. Maybe swapping sides will be a shock to the system.

So you agree with me?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
We could try Hossa at LW, while it should be easier in our zone on LW I'm not sure it will be. He has been so good on the RW for so long, I don't know how he'll be. On offense it will definitely limit him,. but he's not lighting it up anyweay.

Very mixed feelings on this one. I've been told that I usually have pretty strong opinions.:sarcasm:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nobody is saying that Dano sitting in the press box is better than him playing in Rockford. Playing hockey, no matter where, is always better than not playing hockey.

My contention was that Dano's game is not going to measurably improve by him spending time in Rockford. If they send Dano down now, if and when they decide to call him back up, they are going to get the same Dano and the same game (with all the issues that are currently keeping him off the roster).

For Dano to grow as a player he needs to play in the NHL.

Supposedly the systems in RFD mirror those in Chicago. But I am suspect of the coaching competence there, as are others - but we keep hearing good things from Stan and Q about Dent and company... so who or what do you believe? What works for Wings may not work in this organization. Not without good coaching/teaching.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We could try Hossa at LW, while it should be easier in our zone on LW I'm not sure it will be. He has been so good on the RW for so long, I don't know how he'll be. On offense it will definitely limit him,. but he's not lighting it up anyweay.

Very mixed feelings on this one. I've been told that I usually have pretty strong opinions.:sarcasm:

I agree with the risk but I think the offensive upside of TT is higher than Hossa at this point. I think Hossa would do just fine with the move plus TTs passing might jumpstart Hossa and Toews.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Visiting non Hawks fan here:

I've read up on what you guys post on Dano, and he's certainly adjusting to the Hawks system, which is worlds different than that of CBJ.

Despite his adjusting and learning, it seems he's had more solid moments than not. Sounds like a keen guy that wants to become a good player.

However, it's really bothering me that he's sitting in the press box instead of 1) getting top minutes in the AHL (where I don't think he has much to prove) or 2) play minutes with CHI and develop his play and learn.

I know Q has a short leash for young guys like Dano especially, but a player won't getting better by sitting him up in the press box 3/4 games in a row. Unless I'm missing something and he's been neglective to learn.

What do you Hawk fans think of this handling of Dano so far? I just don't see what good this does for his development.

Last edited:

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Visiting non Hawks fan here:

I've read up on what you guys post on Dano, and he's certainly adjusting to the Hawks system, which is worlds different than that of CBJ.

Despite his adjusting and learning, it seems he's had more solid moments than not. Sounds like a keen guy that wants to become a good player.

However, it's really bothering me that he's sitting in the press box instead of 1) getting top minutes in the AHL (where I don't think he has much to prove) or 2) play minutes with CHI and develop his play and learn.

I know Q has a short leash for young guys like Dano especially, but a player won't getting better by sitting him up in the press box 3/4 games in a row. Unless I'm missing something and he's been neglective to learn.

What do you Hawk fans think of this handling of Dano so far? I just don't see what good this does for his development.

playing 5-8 minutes in a different line, with different linemates and not on his natural RW spot every next game definitely didn't help him in the progress.Sitting in the pressbox last 2-3 games even less.As I know he had about 15 min average TOI in Columbus, played RW and had enough time to build some chemistry with linemates.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hossa doesn't want to Play as LW. He's a RW and always has been.

Dano just Needs a consistent line, his spot in the lineup and is better than Garbutt, Desjardiens or Bickell.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hossa doesn't want to Play as LW. He's a RW and always has been.

Dano just Needs a consistent line, his spot in the lineup and is better than Garbutt, Desjardiens or Bickell.

Do you actually know this or just speculation because there is a huge difference?

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Do you actually know this or just speculation because there is a huge difference?

Yes when bubba speculates, he states it like it is fact.

It seems to me that Hossa could play any position but goal. When it comes to LW vs RW, if Hawks need to cater to he or TT, it is TT every time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
:handclap: He's a kid and needs the ice time. I would have hated to see him in the press box for much longer.

The Hawks might have been doing him a solid by letting him collect an NHL paycheck before the holidays. If that is the case I am fine with it. Now it is time for him to godown and round out his game so he can be a factor when we need him to be.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Right move. He needs to work on his game at least a tad and he couldn't be given enough time up here to do so. He'll be back.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Dano sent down for now. Right move.

I still think about that "bad" shift. Others on here use "bad". It still bothers me. I went ballistic during the game thread lol.

but it was worse than bad. It was unprofessional. I don't know the kind of ship they were running in CBJ, but he needs to learn from Hossa how to conduct himself.

I think they started off in-line with HF board expectations. He started training camp with #1 line. Then the more Mgt sees of this guy, the worse it gets for him.

I know he is young, i like his upside, but boy he is farther away then most here want to believe. I got crucified for saying he was a one-way player. I changed my mind, he is a no-way player. He isn't effective in either zone right now.

Glad they went him down. I can still remember Q with the backhanded comments about him, I posted those. Then Traci Meyes online echoed the same thing that day with "not exactly a ringing endorsement" of Dano.

Anyway, I think he is deep in Q's doghouse at this time. He still hasn't played since he wouldn't get off, and then sulked and slammed his stick on the ice as he glided to bench. Too many men they score, it's not professional.

Dano reminds me of Patrick Poulin, who we got from Hartford. I remember him getting ROBBED in Toronto in a playoff game. Just sick save against him. He was never the same and never panned out.

Dano with that bad luck early, 2 monster saves against him already with us. I hope he can fight thru it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I still think about that "bad" shift. Others on here use "bad". It still bothers me. I went ballistic during the game thread lol.

but it was worse than bad. It was unprofessional. I don't know the kind of ship they were running in CBJ, but he needs to learn from Hossa how to conduct himself.

I think they started off in-line with HF board expectations. He started training camp with #1 line. Then the more Mgt sees of this guy, the worse it gets for him.

I know he is young, i like his upside, but boy he is farther away then most here want to believe. I got crucified for saying he was a one-way player. I changed my mind, he is a no-way player. He isn't effective in either zone right now.

Glad they went him down. I can still remember Q with the backhanded comments about him, I posted those. Then Traci Meyes online echoed the same thing that day with "not exactly a ringing endorsement" of Dano.

Anyway, I think he is deep in Q's doghouse at this time. He still hasn't played since he wouldn't get off, and then sulked and slammed his stick on the ice as he glided to bench. Too many men they score, it's not professional.

Dano reminds me of Patrick Poulin, who we got from Hartford. I remember him getting ROBBED in Toronto in a playoff game. Just sick save against him. He was never the same and never panned out.

Dano with that bad luck early, 2 monster saves against him already with us. I hope he can fight thru it.

I somehow missed all that, but yeah, Q has no tolerance for immaturity like that. Q said just the other day that there were others playing RFD who will get a chance. Dano may have an uphill battle trying to get back. He'll need to earn it.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

Poulin seemed to get robbed every game. It was so frustrating.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they are keeping Bickell up here, this is the right move. We can debate whether keeping Bickell up is the right move or not, which I don't think it is, because he is awful. At least Dano gives us a spark of hope that he can score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad