Dano

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Biased much? If Saad, the 23 year old with 47 and 52 point seasons, returns to his 50-60 point peak you take the 40-50 point center who has had one season over 40 points, is 27 years old and that peak season was 5 years ago.

As we've seen before, figures don't lie but liars figure.

In a cap system, you very obviously take the greater value for dollar, and value is always decided in large part by the needs of the team and the rarity of the coveted item. You can find a 50 point winger for less than 6 million.

Finding a 2-way center that can bring up the possession of the 2nd line has been far more difficult to find for the Blackhawks, let alone at 1.5 million dollar savings over the alternative winger.

I was in favor of the trade the moment I heard that Saad was asking for 6x6, and voiced as much immediately, even before Anisimov proved he fit like a glove.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
In a cap system, you very obviously take the greater value for dollar, and value is always decided in large part by the needs of the team and the rarity of the coveted item. You can find a 50 point winger for less than 6 million.

Finding a 2-way center that can bring up the possession of the 2nd line has been far more difficult to find for the Blackhawks, let alone at 1.5 million dollar savings over the alternative winger.

I was in favor of the trade the moment I heard that Saad was asking for 6x6, and voiced as much immediately, even before Anisimov proved he fit like a glove.

I get the $$ argument of course but you're skewing the stats big time. You seem to have 22 year old Saad as at his peak production yet think that AA will exceed his career highs established 5 years ago.

Absolutely false comparison.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I get the $$ argument of course but you're skewing the stats big time. You seem to have 22 year old Saad as at his peak production yet think that AA will exceed his career highs established 5 years ago.

Absolutely false comparison.

If Saad takes off and Anisimov craters, I'm willing to admit I was wrong and it was the wrong deal.

But Saad was playing on the wing with Toews, Hossa, Kane, and in front of Keith, Hammer, etc. Columbus has to build up the key pieces around him if he's going to get the same spring-board to points as he had here. Right now, they don't even have a D-man that can reliably hit him through the neutral zone in stride.

Might they get him one?

Sure.

But #1D are even harder to find than great 2-way 2Cs.

Anisimov is in the opposite situation. He's never played with the pieces he has or will in Chicago. Even if Panarin and Kane cool off completely and Q jumbles the lines, he'll be alongside combinations of Hossa, TT, and hopefully Dano if he develops.

I have greater faith in Chicago continuing to find and develop strong component pieces around Anisimov and company than I do Columbus doing so for Saad.

Hell, if rumors are true, they're actually listening to offers on Johansen, which is INSANE.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's certainly no coincidence that Kaner is having a career season. It took years to find him that center and permanent line, and it didn't come cheaply. Dare I say that our second line is one of the most feared in the NHL. The price tag was right.

I guess the bottom line is that trade is good for Hawks short term - with Toews/Kane entering their prime, Keith/Seabs/Crawford in their prime and Hossa not getting any younger, the time is now! If Hawks are to go anywhere this season, the 2nd line is paramount to their success.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It's certainly no coincidence that Kaner is having a career season. It took years to find him that center and permanent line, and it didn't come cheaply. Dare I say that our second line is one of the most feared in the NHL. The price tag was right.

I guess the bottom line is that trade is good for Hawks short term - with Toews/Kane entering their prime, Keith/Seabs/Crawford in their prime and Hossa not getting any younger, the time is now! If Hawks are to go anywhere this season, the 2nd line is paramount to their success.

I believe Kane led the league in scoring last year before his injury too.

KanetoToews2883

Sep 14, 2011
If Saad takes off and Anisimov craters, I'm willing to admit I was wrong and it was the wrong deal.

But Saad was playing on the wing with Toews, Hossa, Kane, and in front of Keith, Hammer, etc. Columbus has to build up the key pieces around him if he's going to get the same spring-board to points as he had here. Right now, they don't even have a D-man that can reliably hit him through the neutral zone in stride.

Might they get him one?

Sure.

But #1D are even harder to find than great 2-way 2Cs.

Anisimov is in the opposite situation. He's never played with the pieces he has or will in Chicago. Even if Panarin and Kane cool off completely and Q jumbles the lines, he'll be alongside combinations of Hossa, TT, and hopefully Dano if he develops.

I have greater faith in Chicago continuing to find and develop strong component pieces around Anisimov and company than I do Columbus doing so for Saad.

Hell, if rumors are true, they're actually listening to offers on Johansen, which is INSANE.

Ryan Murray has #1 D written on him. Is he there yet? No, but if they allow him the ability to develop further, he has that type of potential.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
If Dano was going to be really good the Columbus gm wouldn't have traded him. I believe that gm knows more about Dano than anyone.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I believe Kane led the league in scoring last year before his injury too.

He was on an 80-90 point pace through 82 games when he was leading the league in scoring. Not a 120 point pace.

Which isn't to say he'll actually hit 120 this year, or he would have hit his previous career peak last year. But there's no doubt that this is the best line Kane has played on, and the best Kane has played, since 2009/2010 when he was flanking Toews.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Dano was going to be really good the Columbus gm wouldn't have traded him. I believe that gm knows more about Dano than anyone.

Dano, at 19/20 years old, perhaps, but what about at 23? There is no real hurry. Some young players change a lot over 3 years. The onus is on Dent and company to get Dano up to speed. Hopefully he'll make enough progress this season to get another shot with Hawks before the PO's.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U

Except all indications pointed to Dano becoming a very solid player long-term; he had an exceptional 30-odd games in Columbus and the team was generally trending upward at that time. He still could very well turn out to be a Saad-level player, and he only just turned 21. If you give him two years of solid playing time and solid development (which I hope Q is willing to give him) then he could be something special.

Not everybody's a Connor McDavid. Almost no players fully bloom as soon as they step onto NHL ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad