Recalled/Assigned: Danny O'Regan and Scott Wilson recalled, Lawrence Pilut sent down (2/22)

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Without a doubt. Much less nonsense with the puck. More of a straight line approach. Better at finding space compared to the flat footed style we saw early.

It’s okay to acknowledge improvement, no matter how slight...we all know he has a ton of work to do and a ****load to improve upon. But there’s no need to be dramatic and imply he has regressed because you’re still salty about the bad trade.
More and more he’s putting himself in prime areas to score. Not burying, but I’ve noticed more Thompson scoring chances in the last two weeks than I did before the new year. He’s 20. People need to chill out.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Not exactly sure what you mean by project but it sounds you're saying he doesn't belong in the NHL atm which is flat-out wrong. Pilut essentially leads the team in 5v5 corsi while having more defensive zone starts than offensive..hes also the only player Risto is a positive corsi player with. He belongs on the roster over Scandella and Hunwick.
There's many reasons other than corsi to send a guy down to the minors .

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
You should try to separate the fact that we got hosed in the ROR trade when you’re trying to gauge Thompson’s progress. I see a different player who has improved a lot - but still has a long, long way to go.
Oh I do. But I will not eat the shit sandwich Bobblehead is serving that he is building an organization based on merit. According to published reports Murray lost his job because he had no answer to Tpegs question of how he would right the ship other than through maturation of the existing squad and draft picks. He also wouldn't fire Abylsma. Bobblehead sold himself on creating accountability, development and merit. So we stew plyers with more skill and potential while one of "HIS" guys gets a pass. TT is a potential bottom 6 one trick pony. He has no, and I mean no, hockey IQ. To be given the opportunity he has over others without any significant indication of being anything other than what he has always been, a bottom 6 player with a shot, over others who demonstrated more at the AHL Level, VO, or who has a higher hockey IQ, AN, is more than I will take. I hated the trade, but don't compound the damage by pretending this guy is anything but fodder. Maybe he is a solid 3rd liner someday. But he is not NHL ready. That's based on 50 years of playing, refereeing and watching hockey at all levels. YMMV.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
So when Wilson goes in and ORegan and Smith sit, how mad are we allowed to be?

At this point i've all but given up on playoffs.

Also o'regan and smith vs wilson is probably marginal. Hard to get up in arms about something like that while sobotka is on the ice. We know the lousy lineup setting, getting outraged about another less than ideal decision seems like a waste of time

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
At this point i've all but given up on playoffs.

Also o'regan and smith vs wilson is probably marginal. Hard to get up in arms about something like that while sobotka is on the ice. We know the lousy lineup setting, getting outraged about another less than ideal decision seems like a waste of time

Its more them sitting when they could be in Roch is what annoys me the mosr

Reactions: sabremike

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Earlier this year when we were paper tigers veryone is saying they do not want to trade for rentals that it isn't our year and to be patient but when it comes to certain players they only judge them based on this year and do not look at all ahead. Thompson is in his first full season. Pilut is a NA rookie. Things will get better with him, for Pilut and his ice time and Thompson and his on ice play. Trades made and players brought in and shipped out go further then this season. A trade is not declared a winner after one season. Or can you judge a return after 60 games.

Reactions: Mitts888

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
More and more he’s putting himself in prime areas to score. Not burying, but I’ve noticed more Thompson scoring chances in the last two weeks than I did before the new year. He’s 20. People need to chill out.
When he puts on 20 lbs and gets less
awkward he has great reach and is pretty strong on the puck and has decent hands. He has a chip two..Let him an Borgen take some boxing lessons and ...We need one less tough guy that can maybe score..

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Question.. reading posts ..

Did a trade to upgrade in January not happen .. Due to Eichel injury .. Team being exposed aa soft after Florida and right players werent avialable to warrant price. Or did he just decide team needed to find it wintin themselves and if not they get near a top ten .. soft tank? How purposeful is his lack of help ?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why does Olofsson never get a call-up?

Sure, JB can call up every favorite flavor of the month when they do well in Roch. as a “good boy” reward. OR for the most part, because the Amerks are doing well, keep most of the pieces in place in Roch. and help them by keeping them together as much as possible.
It’s not a crazy stupid thought. :dunno:

Injuries happen and so there were call ups. And some of those call ups were “good boy” rewards.
And pointing to Tage or even Mitts with some clenched fist rage, “he didn’t earn it” tag lines, and witty posts by fans, doesn’t or shouldn’t change that approach.

Olofsson will get his moment on the big club. Baring a major injury or extended cold streak, it’s impossible that he won’t get his chance.

Just one guys take ...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sure, JB can call up every favorite flavor of the month when they do well in Roch. as a “good boy” reward. OR for the most part, because the Amerks are doing well, keep most of the pieces in place in Roch. and help them by keeping them together as much as possible.
It’s not a crazy stupid thought. :dunno:

Injuries happen and so there were call ups. And some of those call ups were “good boy” rewards.
And pointing to Tage or even Mitts with some clenched fist rage, “he didn’t earn it” tag lines, and witty posts by fans, doesn’t or shouldn’t change that approach.

Olofsson will get his moment on the big club. Baring a major injury or extended cold streak, it’s impossible that he won’t get his chance.

Just one guys take ...
Or when our season was heading straight to hell he could've called up guys, put them in the lineup over guys who are terrible and useless and given them a shot. Instead we get our 8th consecutive season of total failure but on the bright side the Amerks might win a playoff round or two.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Or when our season was heading straight to hell he could've called up guys, put them in the lineup over guys who are terrible and useless and given them a shot. Instead we get our 8th consecutive season of total failure but on the bright side the Amerks might win a playoff round or two.
And if the callups struggled in the NHL... which I think is a largely realistic possibility... and the season headed straight to hell anyways? Then what, you feel a little better because they made some ancillary moves to validate you? Dismantling Rochester and disrupting the development of key players in the process?

Honestly, most here would probably just jump to the next wildly hyperbolic hot take regardless of what the Sabres do. Until the stars align and the team is good again.

EDIT: Even at their best this year, this team was always more than a few callups away from playing great hockey that was in any way sustainable. I get the idea of wanting to see the team on and off the ice as desperate to win as you are... but I think everyone would benefit from dialing it back a little.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And if the callups struggled in the NHL... which I think is a largely realistic possibility... and the season headed straight to hell anyways? Then what, you feel a little better because they made some ancillary moves to validate you? Dismantling Rochester and disrupting the development of key players in the process?

Honestly, most here would probably just jump to the next wildly hyperbolic hot take regardless of what the Sabres do. Until the stars align and the team is good again.
Key players? What key players?

The key players are here in Buffalo. Their development has been disrupted by Botts' inactivity.

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm gonna guess that tonight's lines are:

Skinner - Eichel - Rodrigues
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Thompson - Sobotka - Pominville
Smith - Larsson - Girgensons

O'Regan - Wilson

Our "third" line makes me want to puke.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Key players? What key players?

The key players are here in Buffalo. Their development has been disrupted by Botts' inactivity.
I'd consider Pilut and Olofsson... maybe guys like Smith, Borgen, to a lesser extent Guhle and Nylander, etc... as pieces on this team going forward just based on their AHL productivity and the fact Pilut looked the part fairly well in his callup despite a few missteps. If this team is going to succeed, the players in our system today and tomorrow developing into proper NHL depth is key.

Eichel and Reinhart having career years also kinda messes up the point of disrupted development. Mittelstadt and Dahlin are rookies and would look the part from time to time regardless of how many Amerks were called up.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

I guess they're disrupting the development of O'Regan with this call up then. :eyeroll:

You've got to guve up the notion that giving a guy a look in the NHL is somehow going to ruin him.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I guess they're disrupting the development of O'Regan with this call up then. :eyeroll:

You've got to get the notion that giving a guy a look in the NHL is somehow going to ruin him.
I don't think giving the guy a look would ruin him... but I think doing so selectively is good, especially since the big club is struggling and maybe not the best place to develop young talent, to give guys the max amount of time playing big minutes in a lesser league first and establishing a winning culture in Rochester.

EDIT: I can only imagine the triggering that occurred when I said the word 'culture'. Cue the passive aggressive one liners.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad