Danny McBride (Nelson) >>>> David Tennant (Eakins)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Nelson does a good job from here on in, why would they hire someone else?

Did they lose against the Kings?

So, the Oilers collapsed against the Kings, but the Kings were in control of the whole game?

Are you hearing voices? heheh

There's a difference between doing a good job and being better than Eakins.

No, they didn't lose against the Kings, but they might as well have. The ice was heavily tilted and they won in a shootout.

This team needs an experienced NHL coach and again they rely on a guy with almost no NHL experience. It's maddening.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
There's a difference between doing a good job and being better than Eakins.

No, they didn't lose against the Kings, but they might as well have. The ice was heavily tilted and they won in a shootout.

This team needs an experienced NHL coach and again they rely on a guy with almost no NHL experience. It's maddening.

So what is Nelson doing wrong in your opinion?

What do you mean "they might as well have lost" ?

WTF is your problem, quit whining about things that didn't even happen.

Cheer up.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013

Cheer up.

they are playing way better under Nelson. Only Keith and Replacement cant see that most of the gong show errors are down markedly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
they are playing way better under Nelson. Only Keith and Replacement cant see that most of the gong show errors are down markedly.

I was very positive about the changes until the team pulled another gongshow move trading Perron today. That kind of deflated any enthusiasm on my part. As it completely did in the team tonight that sleepwalked through two periods.

But more to the point every comment I've made re Nelson has been positive. But don't let that stop you.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Cheer up.

It's not so much that Nelson is doing things wrong (it's hard to do more wrong than his predecessor), it's just that he shouldn't be here.

This team needs a coach that has NHL experience, that's all there is to it.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It's not so much that Nelson is doing things wrong (it's hard to do more wrong than his predecessor), it's just that he shouldn't be here.

This team needs a coach that has NHL experience, that's all there is to it.

Why shouldn't he be here?

What is he doing wrong or not doing right?

You can't just say "team needs a coach with NHL experience", explain why.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why shouldn't he be here?

What is he doing wrong or not doing right?

You can't just say "team needs a coach with NHL experience", explain why.

Well the team is still losing for starters. They're visually better but again, compared to Eakins that's not saying much.

I don't think Nelson is teaching the Oilers how to win hockey games. Obviously it's easy to say that and much harder to do, but this team for years has had a lot of trouble maintaining leads (or even getting them) and often takes nights off, such as this one.

Again I'll give the Oilers credit for waking up in the third but they need to be ready to play from the drop of the puck. The entire top line was putrid (Hall in particular) and I think back to a pass Yak made in the second that was just head-spinningly terrible... I really hope he's trying to hammer the no-look passes out of their game (I saw at least 5 or 6)

Dallas Eakins should never have been hired as a head coach. As an assistant maybe, but as head coach? No. I feel the same way with Nelson. I'm okay with bringing him on in an associate role or something similar.

The main issue with the Oilers is actually quite simple and applies to basically the entire organization: They put people with no experience into roles they're simply not qualified to handle. The GM, the coach, the players.

I'm okay with bringing in Todd Nelson to coach the team on a full-time basis if this was an average-to-good team, but that's just not the case. They don't understand the fundamentals of NHL hockey and most nights would probably lose to AHL teams with their level of efforts.

It's one thing to be a bad team, it's another to be a bad team that doesn't try.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Well the team is still losing for starters. They're visually better but again, compared to Eakins that's not saying much.

I don't think Nelson is teaching the Oilers how to win hockey games. Obviously it's easy to say that and much harder to do, but this team for years has had a lot of trouble maintaining leads (or even getting them) and often takes nights off, such as this one.

Again I'll give the Oilers credit for waking up in the third but they need to be ready to play from the drop of the puck. The entire top line was putrid (Hall in particular) and I think back to a pass Yak made in the second that was just head-spinningly terrible... I really hope he's trying to hammer the no-look passes out of their game (I saw at least 5 or 6)

Dallas Eakins should never have been hired as a head coach. As an assistant maybe, but as head coach? No. I feel the same way with Nelson. I'm okay with bringing him on in an associate role or something similar.

The main issue with the Oilers is actually quite simple and applies to basically the entire organization: They put people with no experience into roles they're simply not qualified to handle. The GM, the coach, the players.

I'm okay with bringing in Todd Nelson to coach the team on a full-time basis if this was an average-to-good team, but that's just not the case. They don't understand the fundamentals of NHL hockey and most nights would probably lose to AHL teams with their level of efforts.

It's one thing to be a bad team, it's another to be a bad team that doesn't try.

So again, what is Nelson doing wrong?

What do you see that suggests he is a bad coach or not good enough?

Are they not playing better, is he not constantly coaching on the bench, has he not identified the practise problems, have they not had better starts since practise changed?

Does the team not play as a unit better with better puck support? Is the PP better?

I don't see anything technically that looks bad, we are losing because we have 1/2 a team.

Why would it matter if the team was average to good, concerning bringing in Nelson, either he is a good coach or not. He has a ton of experience in many leagues, he has worked with younger players the whole time.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I think ill always hate Dallas Elkins for the way hes butcheredthis club.

Last year he comes in and talked like he was so great but never really backed it up. Nelson seems to have come in talked little but is accomplishing more. Things that Eakins did that pissed me off

- swarm was so great
- with 3 firstoverall forwards saying we re not an offensive team
- trying to look smarter than everyone else by taking donuts away from the media
- destroying the confidence of almost every player. Not one player thrived under Eakins.
- again trying to look smart by taking pictures down of the glory years
- saying his 1-3-1 pleas impossible to defend
-promising competitiveness but showing the motoring oiled games ive ever witnessed including Renner quin krueGerman years

Nelson just goes about his business.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I think ill always hate Dallas Elkins for the way hes butcheredthis club.

Last year he comes in and talked like he was so great but never really backed it up. Nelson seems to have come in talked little but is accomplishing more. Things that Eakins did that pissed me off

- swarm was so great
- with 3 firstoverall forwards saying we re not an offensive team
- trying to look smarter than everyone else by taking donuts away from the media
- destroying the confidence of almost every player. Not one player thrived under Eakins.
- again trying to look smart by taking pictures down of the glory years
- saying his 1-3-1 pleas impossible to defend
-promising competitiveness but showing the motoring oiled games ive ever witnessed including Renner quin krueGerman years

Nelson just goes about his business.

Eakins did so many things before he coached an actual game that just made him so unlikeable, the bolded points in your last post were just so unnecessary, yet Eakins made a big deal about them. He came across as such an arrogant know it all during that first offseason, then talking about all his fitness accomplishments and tweeting players. Nelson has done almost no talking and has kind of flown under the radar which has me rooting for him. Eakins was always saying something stupid in the media (jersey tossing, Lars Eller, team doesn't understand basic defense)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad