Danny McBride (Nelson) >>>> David Tennant (Eakins)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Nelson hasn't completely turned around a team in two games?

Unacceptable.

This place is really hard to bear sometimes.

Was anyone expecting that? I don't think so. But losing in a new way is no better than losing in the old way. I'd say the vast majority are really rooting for Nelson, myself included, but it's just odd to get too excited over the past two games when it's much of the same, both in the end result and the way they got there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Was anyone expecting that? I don't think so. But losing in a new way is no better than losing in the old way. I'd say the vast majority are really rooting for Nelson, myself included, but it's just odd to get too excited over the past two games when it's much of the same, both in the end result and the way they got there.

I would say this is an isolated opinion no one else has. The last 2 GP have been easy on the eyes, its been possible to get behind the club and cheer for them. I've actually been on the edge of my seat past couple games with the way the team is playing. Not the usual lethargic response to lethargic play.

Plus that the team has 3pts in last 2GP. Against Good WC teams. Yeah that's different as well and something that hasn't happened all year.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
This is all spin. Collosal collapses in both games like usual but because there is a new coach people think this is somehow different. Until this team starts actually winning games and not blowing leads and looking like a loser I won't be convinced of anything.

Is that cynical and unfair? Sure, okay. We've been fans long enough not to be fooled.

If "colossal collapse" is referring to winning the LA game, I hope we have 40 games of it.

Now the whining is "blowing leads", if you remember from the beginning of this year, we never had leads, tons of games were done in the first 10 minutes.

The team has looked totally different the last 2 games, their compete is the best its been in 2 years, individually every player looks better. Lets see what the remainder of the season brings.

Oct 15, 2008

Ive seen numerous posts complaining about how Nelson isnt adequate or the team hasnt changed.

The root of the problem remains, and until that is addressed, it likely doesnt matter who is behind the bench.

Its quite sad actually.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Nelson > Eakins. That's not difficult, tho.

Too early to judge Nelson. If he gets the most out of these players ( which Eakins never came close to doing), will they be much improved or just moderately improved? Hard to say.

How much of this team's woes can be blamed on mental depression from losing and just the whole Eakins Vortex, and how much is due to the poorly constructed roster? IDK, 50-50?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If "colossal collapse" is referring to winning the LA game, I hope we have 40 games of it.

Now the whining is "blowing leads", if you remember from the beginning of this year, we never had leads, tons of games were done in the first 10 minutes.

The team has looked totally different the last 2 games, their compete is the best its been in 2 years, individually every player looks better. Lets see what the remainder of the season brings.

The team is looking better for sure. They also coughed up big leads in typical Oiler fashion as well.

It's just strange that some of the biggest pessimists around are now suddenly feeling encouraged that the Oilers are playing 'great hockey' while at the same time getting outshot 15-1 in the third period, and 39-21 overall against the Kings, or letting Colborne and Jooris become heroes for the Flames.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I'm sorta with you on this.

I don't think it's odd to get excited over the last 2 games though. The play has been much more entertaining than before. But the end result is still the same.

I've given my 2 bits on which portion of the team needs to be changed as a top priority. Otherwise these OT and shootout loses, not to mention 3rd period give ups, will continue to haunt Oiler fans in the foreseeable future.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
The team is looking better for sure. They also coughed up big leads in typical Oiler fashion as well.

It's just strange that some of the biggest pessimists around are now suddenly feeling encouraged that the Oilers are playing 'great hockey' while at the same time getting outshot 15-1 in the third period, and 39-21 overall against the Kings, or letting Colborne and Jooris become heroes for the Flames.

What would make you happy?

We just got 3 points in 2 games, if we did that every 2 games through the year we would be #1 in the league. I have no reason to complain about that, along with the play of the players in those 2 games.

Its not strange to me that pessimists say "the team is looking better for sure" but still find reasons to complain about wins and ties. Thats why they are eternal pessimists. You can chose to swim in the doom and gloom, or you can actually hope things will get better as they seem to be doing. We aren't winning the cup this year, everyone knows it, but we are starting to look like a real team. So I am trying to be positive after seeing this change in the last 2 games, I hope it continues.

Like anyone should care who scores from the other team, I have no idea why that would bother you.

To each his own.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I'm sorta with you on this.

I don't think it's odd to get excited over the last 2 games though. The play has been much more entertaining than before. But the end result is still the same.

I've given my 2 bits on which portion of the team needs to be changed as a top priority. Otherwise these OT and shootout loses, not to mention 3rd period give ups, will continue to haunt Oiler fans in the foreseeable future.

Why is everyone treating the LA game as a loss?

Suddenly we are too good to like a point for a tie?

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I am actually quite shocked at how different they look.

The first thing that is notable is that there is SOME support coming out of our own end. It's the simplest hockey and it works.

For two years I've watched this team retrieve the puck in our own end and then do, I don't even know what to call it, get caught in there by turning their back to the opposing player and try to then get it out and have it intercepted and bam, we get scored on. It was like it was a set play for god's sake.

Secondly, we are shooting the puck on net instead of a constant cycle. From the point, from the slot, from behind the goal line. We aren't looking for a highlight reel goal every single time.

Most importantly, they look like they care. Whether or not it's Nelson himself or just getting rid of Eakins, I don't know. But I've enjoyed the last few games more than I have in two years so I'm okay with a loss if they try.

3 out of 4 points is nothing to get upset about. We haven't done that in two months.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

You have to walk before you can run. There is no switch to flip that turns a team from as bad as they were into contenders, you have to take the baby steps and be encouraged by them. Just because you have too lofty expectations and choose to ignore the obvious progress doesn't mean it's not there. There's still problems with the team, everyone sees that, but with the way they have started playing it's not likely you'll see the team get walked all over like they were under Eakins.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Teams tend to take on the demeanor of the coach and Nelsons quiet confidence really comes through.

It also appears that Nelson has simplified the message and given the team a direction. Nelson is not without his issues though...some of the minutes he is doling out to certain players are a little baffling.

Although the team will improve (how couldn't it) I still expect the success to be quite limited though...this roster still stinks.

this is the thing with nelson.... he is very likely going to benefit from some significant "regression to the mean" movement from the team.... the oilers simply were/are not as bad as their record indicates... yes, they are bad, but they have more skill than the current, almost historically bad, record would indicate... if they get even slightly below average goaltending the rest of the way (which is a very real possibility) then they might play something approaching .400-.425 hockey, which would be a massive improvement

i just don't think much, if any, of this improvement would be rightly attributed to nelson being the coach

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ive seen numerous posts complaining about how Nelson isnt adequate or the team hasnt changed.

The root of the problem remains, and until that is addressed, it likely doesnt matter who is behind the bench.

Its quite sad actually.

exactly.... until the cancer (lowe and macT) is removed, no real healing can begin... we're only treating the symptoms

Oct 15, 2008
exactly.... until the cancer (lowe and macT) is removed, no real healing can begin... we're only treating the symptoms

This comes with highly dubious caveat that Katz makes the right call on hiring their replacements or if he even fires them at all.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Why is everyone treating the LA game as a loss?

Suddenly we are too good to like a point for a tie?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when the Oil dropped the 2-0 lead in the third....well...more of the same old same old afaic.

Nothing to do with thinking we are too good for a tie.

We certainly are not good enough for a win though.

All this said though, I have mentioned that the last 2 games have looked quite a bit better as far as effort and puck support.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What would make you happy?

We just got 3 points in 2 games, if we did that every 2 games through the year we would be #1 in the league. I have no reason to complain about that, along with the play of the players in those 2 games.

Its not strange to me that pessimists say "the team is looking better for sure" but still find reasons to complain about wins and ties. Thats why they are eternal pessimists. You can chose to swim in the doom and gloom, or you can actually hope things will get better as they seem to be doing. We aren't winning the cup this year, everyone knows it, but we are starting to look like a real team. So I am trying to be positive after seeing this change in the last 2 games, I hope it continues.

Like anyone should care who scores from the other team, I have no idea why that would bother you.

To each his own.

If they can get badly outplayed and win games all year then that's fantastic. But they cannot. Because they won the game doesn't mean they played well.

What would make me happy is the team getting a 2 goal lead and then maintaining that 'Hey we're an NHL team!' look for the rest of the game as well. Obviously there is always going to be pushback from teams when they are down goals due to score effects and the like, but that's not what the Oilers did. They flat out collapsed and earned points due to unreal goaltending and luck. Just not sustainable.

However, I'm glad some fans are enjoying their current play. This is an entertainment industry, so if you're being entertained then mission accomplished.

I hope beyond all hope that this IS a sign of the team turning some kind of corner. I'll eat crow with a smile on my face if this carries forward into the some sort of semi-productive last half of the season. I don't want the Oilers to finish dead last. I feel its far better for them to win games, gain confidence, and learn to play as a team. McDavid can go to Phoenix/Carolina.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Losing is still losing, it doesn't matter how pretty it looks. They didn't even try to create some separation in the Kings game (15-1 the shots in the third period?) and again they collapsed in Calgary. Twice.

I don't expect the team to be completely turned around in a manner of days, but the Kings were in control of that game despite being behind for most of it. Never mind the fact they were in Calgary the previous night.

Regardless this management team has already dedicated themselves to Nelson no matter what they say. I'll be shocked if they actually go out and hire a head coach in the off-season.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Regardless this management team has already dedicated themselves to Nelson no matter what they say. I'll be shocked if they actually go out and hire a head coach in the off-season.

No head coach will be hired because Six-Rings will still be there, rotting in the corner.

That said with these last two game, I laugh less heartily when the Oilers screw up. That's a good feeling. Maybe one of these days, I get back to cheering.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I noticed the change the first game without Eakins.
Now without MacT on the bench the difference is even bigger.

I am very happy with Nelson so far. I think him putting Schultz out in overtime was a "show me what you've got" more then him thinking Schultz was the best player.
He is a brand new coach and decisions like that should be judged after he has had time to get to know his roster, inside out.

Well Schultz sure showed him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The whole MacT behind the bench thing was a huge joke so i'm not really counting those as games that Nelson was the coach.

Fair enough. MacT wasn't there to help Nelson coach. He was there to get a better feel for talent and team chemistry.

Today's trade of Perron was a baby step towards the elusive bold move MacT promised.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
The bolded part is a really sad state of affairs. The fact that the fanbase is encouraged by a new way of losing games is amazing.

"Visually" were playing better...And to distance myself, from Mac'T's optical aneurysm,
The team is playing much harder, and with much more drive..
Eventually that will equate to a stronger work ethic..Something sorely lacking in the Eakins era..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
this is the thing with nelson.... he is very likely going to benefit from some significant "regression to the mean" movement from the team.... the oilers simply were/are not as bad as their record indicates... yes, they are bad, but they have more skill than the current, almost historically bad, record would indicate... if they get even slightly below average goaltending the rest of the way (which is a very real possibility) then they might play something approaching .400-.425 hockey, which would be a massive improvement

i just don't think much, if any, of this improvement would be rightly attributed to nelson being the coach

I agree with most of what you're saying.

I think there is more to consider here than just the win/loss record like improvements in various facets of the game the team has struggled with for some time now.

I also think that there should be some tangible differences in style of play that would lend credence to Nelsons influence.

The next 40+ games should be quite revealing.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Let's not anoint him as our saviour just yet . I'd like to see what the team can do over the rest of the season but our effort level has definitely improved since Nelson took over as sole coach

At one point Ben Scrivens was our savior, after his unbelievable performance against the San Jose Sharks....
Things change..

Eakins couldn't motivate a fox in a Hen house...give Nelson a chance..

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Losing is still losing, it doesn't matter how pretty it looks. They didn't even try to create some separation in the Kings game (15-1 the shots in the third period?) and again they collapsed in Calgary. Twice.

I don't expect the team to be completely turned around in a manner of days, but the Kings were in control of that game despite being behind for most of it. Never mind the fact they were in Calgary the previous night.

A) I was on vacation and still made a few posts
B) that's why my post count is so high.

They blew a lead against the Kings and just for good measure they blew two against the Flames. Tell me how well this team is playing again?

If Nelson does a good job from here on in, why would they hire someone else?

Did they lose against the Kings?

So, the Oilers collapsed against the Kings, but the Kings were in control of the whole game?

Are you hearing voices? heheh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad