Post-Game Talk: Dank you very much (Canucks beat Sens 4-3 in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Excellent performance. Better team from start to finish and should have won comfortably. Felt like karma was going to pay us back for the SJ game but we pulled it out in the end.

- Hansen was absolutely awesome tonight ... if he was playing on the 3rd line. Skated miles and made things happen all night. Just such a poor fit on that top line. Once he's put back in a normal place in the lineup, his strong play bodes well, though. Hasn't skated this well in a couple years.

- Sedins create two goals and dominate possession despite playing with a square peg. Excellent performance.

- 2nd line terrific again. Unlucky to only score one goal. Burrows in particular was outstanding.

- Matthias is getting better every game and was outstanding tonight. Best game as a Canuck - dominated along the boards and scored a highlight-reel goal. Carried that line tonight.

- Vey picked up a point but struggled badly again defensively. Looked better on the 4th line in the first than with the 3rd line later.

- same story as the Duck game for Jensen. Starts on 3rd line, does nothing, demoted. Not exactly getting much of a leash, though.

- Horvat and Defazio both looked great in the 1st and then barely played again. Not sure if there's much point in keeping Horvat around if he's playing this little.

- Tanev and Edler were awesome. Controlled play all night.

- Bieksa has been a bit better the past couple games after his brutal start to the season. Hopefully the goal is a confidence builder. Stanton had a nice game tonight, rock solid.

- Hamhuis-Weber were very good as we'll save for some soft coverage on the 3-3 goal.

- Miller had a rough night. Had little to do but had poor rebound control and wasn't sharp.

- PP still sucks. About to fall out of the top 20.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
I agree. Miller had a rough game and some poor rebound control but these games will happen, just as they did to Lack and Luongo before.

I'm happy to see the tenacity.

.910 sv % is concerning for a goalie we have 3 years committed to though. Hopefully that can climb back up.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
It's getting extremely weird. People can't seriously have already forgotten how good those Canucks teams were a few seasons ago can they?

I hope people realize (especially the last two nights with guys out) this is essentially the exact same lineup as the last few seasons minus the cancer (Kesler/Luongo) replaced by better performing players.

The same "declining" players are able to beat good teams, with millions left in capspace and rookies littered in the lineup.

And their record against the 4 other top five teams is 2-2

Didnt see the Ducks game, but read that they outplayed them.
Was at the Lightning game and the Canucks deserved to win.
Outplayed Mtl.
Stunk against the Preds but still weren't dominated, also second night of a back to back :sarcasm:

Not bad...

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yes they led the league in goals scored, but could have scored so many more if AV cared about offense! Or if he would just play more Sergei Shirokov, then we'd beat Boston for sure. Not like this Willie D stud, he lets the kids play.

AV was phenomenal up until half way through the shortened season. All coaches have their shelf lives, he coached our team to some pretty phenomenal seasons.

I still irrationally dislike him but I won't ever slag on the success he had here.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Excellent performance. Better team from start to finish and should have won comfortably. Felt like karma was going to pay us back for the SJ game but we pulled it out in the end.

- Hansen was absolutely awesome tonight ... if he was playing on the 3rd line. Skated miles and made things happen all night. Just such a poor fit on that top line. Once he's put back in a normal place in the lineup, his strong play bodes well, though. Hasn't skated this well in a couple years.

- Sedins create two goals and dominate possession despite playing with a square peg. Excellent performance.

- 2nd line terrific again. Unlucky to only score one goal. Burrows in particular was outstanding.

- Matthias is getting better every game and was outstanding tonight. Best game as a Canuck - dominated along the boards and scored a highlight-reel goal. Carried that line tonight.

- Vey picked up a point but struggled badly again defensively. Looked better on the 4th line in the first than with the 3rd line later.

- same story as the Duck game for Jensen. Starts on 3rd line, does nothing, demoted. Not exactly getting much of a leash, though.

- Horvat and Defazio both looked great in the 1st and then barely played again. Not sure if there's much point in keeping Horvat around if he's playing this little.

- Tanev and Edler were awesome. Controlled play all night.

- Bieksa has been a bit better the past couple games after his brutal start to the season. Hopefully the goal is a confidence builder. Stanton had a nice game tonight, rock solid.

- Hamhuis-Weber were very good as we'll save for some soft coverage on the 3-3 goal.

- Miller had a rough night. Had little to do but had poor rebound control and wasn't sharp.

- PP still sucks. About to fall out of the top 20.

Well said. Send horvat back if you're not going to play him. I think willies concerned about losing one of the top 3 centers though.. He knows Very is not ready for big center minutes

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Yes they led the league in goals scored, but could have scored so many more if AV cared about offense! Or if he would just play more Sergei Shirokov, then we'd beat Boston for sure. Not like this Willie D stud, he lets the kids play.

Sarcasm, I presume?

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Miller was cheating A LOT. shortly before Ottawa scored their 2nd goal there was a shot where he was about 10 feet in front of the blue paint for no reason, and gave up a huge rebound.

I was listening to a radio show with Elliotte friedman the other day, and he said a source told him about Miller's cheating and how it's going to burn him. I hope he starts to take some of melanson's advice because its done great for Luongo. Look @ him in Florida right now.

Also: Miller's save % is a very pedestrian .910 now.

Agreed. Miller did steal a game, which is more than can be said for Luongo for the past several seasons, but he hasn't really been phenomenal. He's calm and collected and playing reasonably well, but the Canucks' success is more due to the fact that they can roll four lines and getting a massive contribution from the second line.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
My eyes and head hurt from rolling my eyes and shaking my head all game. Holy crap did we ever suck tonight. Either way, much :heart: to the Canucks fans, I hope you enjoyed that violation of our team. gg.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Hansen needs to be on the 4th line and nothing more.

Guy can't finish his dinner.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
What a shot by Dank and great awareness by Hammer finding Hank and as always sick pass by him.

We outplayed them the whole game it should have never been that close but I like the Sens so I'm glad they got a point ;).

Hopefully we tighten it up next game but not get away from scoring. :yo:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
My eyes and head hurt from rolling my eyes and shaking my head all game. Holy crap did we ever suck tonight. Either way, much :heart: to the Canucks fans, I hope you enjoyed that violation of our team. gg.

Hey, you guys pushed us to overtime. All the credit man, you guys held in it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

And look how Ballard's career has blossomed since being freed from AV!

Seriously, you'd have thought some of the idiotic criticisms of Vigneault would have stopped after the events of last year, but apparently not.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
There are bright spots all over this team, the Sedins, Bonino, Vrbata. But the one I'm maybe happiest about is Burrows. He's been working so damn hard and making a real difference.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Great game. Loved the energy, defence was pretty solid other than the goals for the most part. 4th line didn't get much ice-time we'll need a couple guys back.

Matthias was playing like a beast tonight, we gotta keep him and Richardson together. Speed, energy, grit and Matthias popped a goal, Richardson was on a hot streak earlier in the season aswell. I think Kassian is the winger, he's injured but that was a solid line before Kassian went down.

The 2nd line is playing amazing, Bonino is doing better than what I think Kesler could have done this season. Bonino has some slick hands and knows how to feed his two wingers who are gritty, workhorses and got good shots. This is an underrated 2nd line around the league.

4th line didn't play much, clearly no trust here. Hopefully we get a couple bodies back so we can roll 4 lines and send DeFazio and Jensen down. I hope one of those bodies is Vrbata because Hansen is not the winger for the Sedins.

I thought the defence over all was good, can't let those 3 goals after a lead in though. A couple times, Ottawa trailer would get the puck and almost score, we gotta pick those guys up. Pairings were solid, no big mistakes and I liked it. Weber is doing his job as a #7 stepping in.

#1 in the league, wow and it doesn't really seem like the Sedins are carrying this team. Secondary scoring is doing their job and it's something that we didn't have in the playoffs so hopefully it will continue. Crucial for our success.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
AV was phenomenal up until half way through the shortened season. All coaches have their shelf lives, he coached our team to some pretty phenomenal seasons.

I still irrationally dislike him but I won't ever slag on the success he had here.

I don't disagree that it may have been time for a change, but the criticism he takes here is bizarre. Was one game away from having a street in Vancouver named after him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

95% of the blame really should go to Rome IMO

:laugh:

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Hey, you guys pushed us to overtime. All the credit man, you guys held in it.

Haha well we'll take the point against great any western teams, trust me. But for real, we had absolutely no reason to be in that game. Right now we're one slick goaltender and a prayer for a lot of games.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
.910 sv % is concerning for a goalie we have 3 years committed to though. Hopefully that can climb back up.

And that's with an elite PK to boost his numbers. He's 25th among 30 starters in ES sv%.

It's still early though. Luongo always started like this and he always ended up well so hopefully it won't be an issue. Still, the Canucks have been winning a lot of games on a razor thin margin (9-0-0 in 1 goal games after taking out EN goals) so they're going to need their goaltending to step up when their offense inevitably hits a dry spell.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Game certainly picked up. Nice back and forth action there. Good game. :yo:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don't disagree that it may have been time for a change, but the criticism he takes here is bizarre. Was one game away from having a street in Vancouver named after him.

Actually he had 2 games to win it but 7uongo **** the bed in game 6 and we ran out of gas in game 7, where clearly he 'stuck to his gameplan' garbage where it didn't work in game 6 and it showed in game 7. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad