Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I see one players that have a chance at being a top 6 center with serious questions about if they can stick at the position. One player with a chance to be a middle 6 center and a number of other players that I have questions about being NHL caliber. That’s a huge problem.
At 19 and 24 which centers were remaining that wouldn't also project in this range? Lambert maybe if he finds his game but most likely he ends up middle 6 at best. Only way would have been to package and move up. IMO they added more depth to our forward prospects in a draft that spread pretty even at that point. They could have drafted someone there with a C attached to their name that would project more as a wing in the NHL anyway. I honestly see a regression coming this year, and then going into a much stronger 2023 draft with potential opportunity to get a higher upside top 6 C there. The huge problem is that you were banking on a crop of volatile C prospects to fix a problem that has been an issue for a decade.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
At 19 and 24 which centers were remaining that wouldn't also project in this range? Lambert maybe if he finds his game but most likely he ends up middle 6 at best. Only way would have been to package and move up. IMO they added more depth to our forward prospects in a draft that spread pretty even at that point. They could have drafted someone there with a C attached to their name that would project more as a wing in the NHL anyway. I honestly see a regression coming this year, and then going into a much stronger 2023 draft with potential opportunity to get a higher upside top 6 C there. The huge problem is that you were banking on a crop of volatile C prospects to fix a problem that has been an issue for a decade.
I actually think the talent on winger prospects was sorely lacking coming into this draft. Ohgren and Yurov were great picks to remedy that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I actually think the talent on winger prospects was sorely lacking coming into this draft. Ohgren and Yurov were great picks to remedy that.
You're right. Beckman was disappointing last year in Iowa. Rau and Shaw were our best wings, and are fringe NHL'ers at best. Firstov is a longshot to be in the NHL.

We need C's AND wings. Boldy looks to be a legit top 6'er, and maybe Rossi, but after that things get pretty thin. Fiala is gone, Zuccarello will be coming back down to earth(or the trainer's room)...where's the top end talent?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I dont recall the dude on ESPN that said it but after listening to his selection video ( didnt have audio at the bar last night) they said he is smart enough defensively to play C. Anyone think that is even a shot or is Winger the no brainer spot for him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I dont recall the dude on ESPN that said it but after listening to his selection video ( didnt have audio at the bar last night) they said he is smart enough defensively to play C. Anyone think that is even a shot or is Winger the no brainer spot for him?

Don't force it. Same as Boldy, play him in the spot that led you to drafting him.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Huh? they're saying this kid sucks, and it was just a move to please Kaprizov. But...Yurov is a 1st round pick :huh:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Don't force it. Same as Boldy, play him in the spot that led you to drafting him.
I agree dont force it. Didnt even cross my mind to attempt him at C as he is already very good offensively so let him grow in his position of choice. I didnt know he was a very good defender though so it just peaks interest hearing that.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I actually had a post where I agree with you to some extent.

How do you fix the problem when you don't have high draft picks?

I guess at a minimum try to take shots to draft one instead of saying there’s no way to draft one because we don’t have those high draft picks. There isn’t a non-zero chance.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I guess at a minimum try to take shots to draft one instead of saying there’s no way to draft one because we don’t have those high draft picks. There isn’t a non-zero chance.
That’s exactly what Minnesota has been doing… In the last three drafts they’ve used 3-4 picks in the first two rounds on centers.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
That’s exactly what Minnesota has been doing… In the last three drafts they’ve used 3-4 picks in the first two rounds on centers.

Fair enough, it seems like in terms of overall assets they’ve prioritized it behind wing/D/Goalie given Wallestedt—but they seem to choose who they feel the BPA in the first and use 2nd/3rd round picks to take swings for position of need.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fair enough, it seems like in terms of overall assets they’ve prioritized it behind wing/D/Goalie given Wallestedt—but they seem to choose who they feel the BPA in the first and use 2nd/3rd round picks to take swings for position of need.
I would highly disagree they have prioritized winger over center. Coming into this draft, the wingers in the prospect pool were mediocre at best.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
this draft profile really hypes up yurov. 2022 Draft Profile: RW Danila Yurov
“Top line 200 foot scoring wing” id say that hype train is full of coal
Last updated back in November of 2021, though. I wish they'd kept updating it, because I'd like to see how their opinion would change throughout the year. That said, looking at the top of the page, it looks like they had him as their #2 rated prospect heading into the season, so I think they'd be high on him regardless.

They also had Alexander Prevalov as their 12 ranked prospect in January, and projected him as a "high scoring, 200-ft top line winger." Very bold prediction, that. Their other projections that I see aren't too crazy.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Bader's approach isn't exactly perfect, but if you want to see a model that really loves Yurov here it is.

I don't know who Patrick Bacon is, I only started seeing his tweets in the past month. But he seems not very bright. Suggest ignoring him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad