Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Putting Sprong on the 4th line with no high skill players to set him up would be a waste IMO. I'd prefer he were centered by one of Getzlaf or Henrique.
I actually totally disagree. Sprong is one dimensional right now. Putting him with Getzy just hurts Getzy's output. Most of what Sprong does is take it into the zone and then shoot. He's a break out threat and not a whole lot more right now. Until he rounds out his game and can contribute to the other 2 players on a top line, he shouldn't be playing on it. Why not put him with 2 defensive players that will spring him for breakaways? That's all he does 50% of the time right now anyway.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I actually totally disagree. Sprong is one dimensional right now. Putting him with Getzy just hurts Getzy's output. Most of what Sprong does is take it into the zone and then shoot. He's a break out threat and not a whole lot more right now. Until he rounds out his game and can contribute to the other 2 players on a top line, he shouldn't be playing on it. Why not put him with 2 defensive players that will spring him for breakaways? That's all he does 50% of the time right now anyway.
I agree that is probably the best role for him currently but if we want him to develop his game he would benefit by playing alongside of someone like getz. I'd rather throw Terry up there with getz and leave Sprong on the 4th but that would definitely stunt his development. We could even give him stints in the AHL to work on his game.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011

Don't see how pairing Getzlaf (a guy that loves to pass the puck), with Sprong (a guy that loves to shoot the puck) hurts Getzlaf's production at all. I also don't see how limiting Sprong's minutes and giving him linemates that aren't nearly as offensively gifted as he is does anything other kill his confidence and stunt his already compromised development. I don't think it's fair to ask a player to prove themselves and then put them in a position to fail.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Don't see how pairing Getzlaf (a guy that loves to pass the puck), with Sprong (a guy that loves to shoot the puck) hurts Getzlaf's production at all. I also don't see how limiting Sprong's minutes and giving him linemates that aren't nearly as offensively gifted as he is does anything other kill his confidence and stunt his already compromised development. I don't think it's fair to ask a player to prove themselves and then put them in a position to fail.
Getzlaf is slow and prefers a cycle game, whereas Sprong hasn’t shown much ability to cycle to this point. Getzlaf will pass Sprong the puck, Sprong will likely not score, Getzlaf will get to the offensive zone just in time to hoof it back down the ice to try to get it back, rinse, recycle, repeat.

Steel, Terry, Kase, Silfverberg, Henrique are all at least if not (easily) arguably more gifted offensively than Sprong. Sprong has a shot. That doesn’t mean he reads the play well or uses his teammates well. Let him play with those players, against easier competition, with lighter responsibilities. Beating his head into the wall of top pairing D/shutdown forwards is hardly going to build his confidence.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Getzlaf is slow and prefers a cycle game, whereas Sprong hasn’t shown much ability to cycle to this point. Getzlaf will pass Sprong the puck, Sprong will likely not score, Getzlaf will get to the offensive zone just in time to hoof it back down the ice to try to get it back, rinse, recycle, repeat.

Steel, Terry, Kase, Silfverberg, Henrique are all at least if not (easily) arguably more gifted offensively than Sprong. Sprong has a shot. That doesn’t mean he reads the play well or uses his teammates well. Let him play with those players, against easier competition, with lighter responsibilities. Beating his head into the wall of top pairing D/shutdown forwards is hardly going to build his confidence.

I agree with this, but I also think much of what is said here could go for Terry as well. Obviously Terry and Sprong have different strengths, but ideally both players on the 3rd line, that's more of a scoring line. I'm torn on what to do with Terry and Sprong in the lineup. Last year the coaches seemed to think Terry and Getzlaf would do well together. That makes no sense to me personally. Seems like a terrible fit. I'd probably put Kase with Getzlaf, Silf with Steel, Terry with Rico, and Sprong with Rowney/Grant. For what it's worth, Stephens was projecting to see Terry with Getzlaf again.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I agree with this, but I also think much of what is said here could go for Terry as well. Obviously Terry and Sprong have different strengths, but ideally both players on the 3rd line, that's more of a scoring line. I'm torn on what to do with Terry and Sprong in the lineup. Last year the coaches seemed to think Terry and Getzlaf would do well together. That makes no sense to me personally. Seems like a terrible fit. I'd probably put Kase with Getzlaf, Silf with Steel, Terry with Rico, and Sprong with Rowney/Grant. For what it's worth, Stephens was projecting to see Terry with Getzlaf again.
I agree with much of what you said, except that I think Terry is much less one-dimensional than Sprong. In a few games last year Terry was practically running the power play he was on. His vision and creativity alone put him in a multi dimensional category. Paired with the fact that he can also score goals, I'd say Terry is one of our most promising young players. I think Terry could produce with Getz. But the lines you posted are in line with the lines I'd like to see to start the year.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think Terry is second only to Getzlaf as far as his on-ice vision. He needs more weight and more confidence, and I don’t think ANY of the rookies belong on the top line. I’d like to see Silfverberg with Getzlaf and Kase, because I think those are the parts that would be best used in a cycle with Getzlaf.

If Jones makes the team, I thought that Jones/Grant/Rowney was a very effective 4th line.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Saying all Sprong has is a shot is not really fair. The dude can skate and is creative with the puck on his stick. Little awareness of others, he is focused on shooting and scoring. Terry plays like a center, is always looking to pass. Wish he looked for the shot more, especially on the PP. Both have talent, just in different areas.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sprong is gonna be a beaut!!
...if he learns to adapt those skills in game situations and more importantly - plays well without the puck. He is showing off some nice skills there but that is nowhere close to game situations. But definitely good to see he is putting in some serious work, he`s still an exciting player.
I know it doesn`t feel like it but he`s the same draft year as Troy Terry. He is just half a year or so older than Troy who was one of the youngest that year.

PS
NHL posted some of the Sprong videos on their Insta and Andrew Shaw responded that he should be that sharp on Fortnite :laugh: Just found it funny. Didn`t knew they were friends or acquaintances at least.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
...if he learns to adapt those skills in game situations and more importantly - plays well without the puck. He is showing off some nice skills there but that is nowhere close to game situations. But definitely good to see he is putting in some serious work, he`s still an exciting player.
I know it doesn`t feel like it but he`s the same draft year as Troy Terry. He is just half a year or so older than Troy who was one of the youngest that year.

PS
NHL posted some of the Sprong videos on their Insta and Andrew Shaw responded that he should be that sharp on Fortnite :laugh: Just found it funny. Didn`t knew they were friends or acquaintances at least.
Was Sprong known to have a 'Elite Shot' in his draft year ? If he did then he fell in the draft for the similar reasons as Kaliyev, being a more linear player that doesn't play defense. Except i would say Sprong can skate well while Kaliyev skates more like 2003 Corey Perry.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Was Sprong known to have a 'Elite Shot' in his draft year ? If he did then he fell in the draft for the similar reasons as Kaliyev, being a more linear player that doesn't play defense. Except i would say Sprong can skate well while Kaliyev skates more like 2003 Corey Perry.
I think it was thought to be great, but not elite. On his EP page, there is a scouting report from 2014 (D-1 season) and it is said he is an all around player basically :laugh:
Daniel Sprong at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think it was thought to be great, but not elite. On his EP page, there is a scouting report from 2014 (D-1 season) and it is said he is an all around player basically :laugh:
Daniel Sprong at eliteprospects.com
Yeah just now reading that, their scouting report gave me an lmao. That would be like someone saying Fowler has a Cannon of a shot & plays physical, delivery bone crushing Pronger style hits to opposing players.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah just now reading that, their scouting report gave me an lmao. That would be like someone saying Fowler has a Cannon of a shot & plays physical, delivery bone crushing Pronger style hits to opposing players.
Lol, yeah.

But anyway, there must be some truth to that scouting report, so Sprong probably was playing like that in juniors.

Looking back at his EP page, after he graduated from juniors, he basically played full year in the AHL and was very successfull there, slightly above PPG. Then came the last year (18/19), he got a one way contract and got to play in the NHL only, which probably screwed him over. (I`m still pissed we didn`t use an option to send Ritchie down to AHL more but that`s another story).

Will see how it goes, but it won`t be easy for Sprong. Potential is all there though

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Lol, yeah.

But anyway, there must be some truth to that scouting report, so Sprong probably was playing like that in juniors.

Looking back at his EP page, after he graduated from juniors, he basically played full year in the AHL and was very successfull there, slightly above PPG. Then came the last year (18/19), he got a one way contract and got to play in the NHL only, which probably screwed him over. (I`m still pissed we didn`t use an option to send Ritchie down to AHL more but that`s another story).

Will see how it goes, but it won`t be easy for Sprong. Potential is all there though
I don't know that he was screwed over by the Pens. I know Pens fans were bitching about it, as they do, complaining about him being given limited ice time and being played on lower lines. I didn't watch him in Pittsburgh, but I know he's pretty poor defensively. Clearly that's where he has the most to learn, and so it's plausible to me that that's what was happening over there. We did the same thing here, and I don't think we screwed him over at all.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't know that he was screwed over by the Pens. I know Pens fans were *****ing about it, as they do, complaining about him being given limited ice time and being played on lower lines. I didn't watch him in Pittsburgh, but I know he's pretty poor defensively. Clearly that's where he has the most to learn, and so it's plausible to me that that's what was happening over there. We did the same thing here, and I don't think we screwed him over at all.
I think from the developmental standpoint he`d benefit from being able to go to AHL last year if only for short stints.
Not that anyone screwed him over yeah. Just a unlucky situation. He`d have been better off playing only 9 games after draft and let the ELC slide, but everyones smart now so...

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Pens fan, I do think Sprong's development was hurt by the Pens some. Burning a year of ELC where he should have been in the AHL really hurt, more then likely he would still be a Penguin if that didn't happen.

He really reminds me of a young phil kessel in many ways. If he can reach that level, do you cater to his strengths by putting the right line mates around him? Or do you hammer him down that he must be a 200 foot 2-way player no matter what? Phil was pretty close to winning a Conn Smythe playing his game. Having someone who can break open a game with just one look at the net is very important to have.

He is an intriguing prospect because he has the potential to be a 80+ pt player and he is still cheap. I know I'll be interested to see how he pans out.

Reactions: teddygmr

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think Terry is second only to Getzlaf as far as his on-ice vision. He needs more weight and more confidence, and I don’t think ANY of the rookies belong on the top line. I’d like to see Silfverberg with Getzlaf and Kase, because I think those are the parts that would be best used in a cycle with Getzlaf.

If Jones makes the team, I thought that Jones/Grant/Rowney was a very effective 4th line.

I agree with much of what you said, except that I think Terry is much less one-dimensional than Sprong. In a few games last year Terry was practically running the power play he was on. His vision and creativity alone put him in a multi dimensional category. Paired with the fact that he can also score goals, I'd say Terry is one of our most promising young players. I think Terry could produce with Getz. But the lines you posted are in line with the lines I'd like to see to start the year.

I agree whole heartedly about the PP. That to me is an example of how Terry is still adjusting to the NHL. He shines on the PP because there's way more space. 5 on 5, he looks like a guy who's adjusting. I agree with both of you that Terry is much further along than Sprong is because his game is more complete. Though Sprong is more physically ready for the game. My point was that I see a similar situation with both. Ideally we bring both along slowly and let them both play against weaker competition, and not put either of them on the top two lines.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Saying all Sprong has is a shot is not really fair. The dude can skate and is creative with the puck on his stick. Little awareness of others, he is focused on shooting and scoring. Terry plays like a center, is always looking to pass. Wish he looked for the shot more, especially on the PP. Both have talent, just in different areas.
Thinking about it, Terry might be the first real playmaking winger we've had since Paul Kariya.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I never said Silf should play there instead? I just think taking the only pure shooter we have in the entire organization and giving him sub 10 minutes of ice time with Jones/Grant/Rowney as his linemates is a ****ing horrible idea. Play someone on their off wing is need be, just give Sprong someone to work with.
Hopefully we are now beyond the idea of a 6 minute a night 4th line. Wasn't that something Bob told us was changing last summer? I would expect us to roll 4 lines pretty regularly and look for production from all of them. To varying degrees of course.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Hopefully we are now beyond the idea of a 6 minute a night 4th line. Wasn't that something Bob told us was changing last summer? I would expect us to roll 4 lines pretty regularly and look for production from all of them. To varying degrees of course.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that were the case, however I have a feeling it'll be more like 3 lines with relatively even ice time and then the 4th line with very limited ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad