Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He’s got an elite shot and is a good skater. The organization knows his strengths and weaknesses but like a guy like Kessel he’s not a player that has a particularly long shelf life with teams just because they literally only bring one dimension.

I see his upside as 30-35 goals. Don’t think he’s got the vision or passing ability to put up huge assist numbers - to me he’s almost the same player as Kessel except without the vision and passing ability.

I agree Sprong is one-dimensional (or perhaps more accurately, not a complete player) at this point. The reason he was traded - and then periodically scratched by the ducks - was because he was bad in his own end and played without structure. I saw improvement in those areas (more still needed) and more importantly, I saw effort. He's 22 and was rushed to the NHL - it clearly stunted his development. Maybe he's forever ruined and uncoachable- I tend to doubt that. It seems to me Eakins is the perfect coach for a player like him.

He won't put up huge assist numbers because he's a shoot first guy (as well he should be). But last year he had 14g and 9 assists. Not exactly one dimensional offensively. When I watched him play - and I focused on him quite a bit - I saw a willing passer who had pretty good vision. That being said, goals are more valuable than assists, so I'm fine with a guy "who just scores goals" as long as he's adequate. You need players like that - the ducks especially.

Reactions: teddygmr

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I hope they don't trade him away because his potential in goal scoring is enticing. I don't usually like one dimensional players, except when it comes to goal scorers as you win games by scoring goals. Sprong has already shown that he can score so now it's time to find out, how many goals he can score. Put him on the 1st powerplay unit and give him some top 6 minutes with linemates who can create plays and pass the puck to him. Just don't put him on the 4th line with plugs.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I agree Sprong is one-dimensional (or perhaps more accurately, not a complete player) at this point. The reason he was traded - and then periodically scratched by the ducks - was because he was bad in his own end and played without structure. I saw improvement in those areas (more still needed) and more importantly, I saw effort. He's 22 and was rushed to the NHL - it clearly stunted his development. Maybe he's forever ruined and uncoachable- I tend to doubt that. It seems to me Eakins is the perfect coach for a player like him.

He won't put up huge assist numbers because he's a shoot first guy (as well he should be). But last year he had 14g and 9 assists. Not exactly one dimensional offensively. When I watched him play - and I focused on him quite a bit - I saw a willing passer who had pretty good vision. That being said, goals are more valuable than assists, so I'm fine with a guy "who just scores goals" as long as he's adequate. You need players like that - the ducks especially.

Sorry what I meant when I said he does t have the vision or passing ability to put up huge assist numbers I didn’t mean to say he was below average in those areas, just not that he’s elite in those areas like he is with his shot.

Reactions: duckpuck
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I hope they don't trade him away because his potential in goal scoring is enticing. I don't usually like one dimensional players, except when it comes to goal scorers as you win games by scoring goals. Sprong has already shown that he can score so now it's time to find out, how many goals he can score. Put him on the 1st powerplay unit and give him some top 6 minutes with linemates who can create plays and pass the puck to him. Just don't put him on the 4th line with plugs.
I feel like the best balance for a guy like Sprong is in a role similar to the one given to Perreault. Obviously, you put him on Getz's wing and give him 18 minutes a night, he'll produce, but he's a guy who can pretty easily be exploited by other teams' top guys, which he'd face in a role like that. Put him on a line with a pretty good playmaker and let him soak up some minutes against other teams' 5/6 pair and weaker lines, and I think you'd see a pretty good overall result.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
loving these sprong training vids. really hope he stays with us and we put him in a position to succeed

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Smart organizations look at their players through a lens of "what do they do well?" Then attempt to put them in positions/situations in which they are most likely to succeed. I have no idea about Sprong's attitude/cockiness/entitlement, but am only speaking of what I saw on the ice. To not have him getting a lot of offensive zone starts with capable line mates was not smart. To not have him (with the best shot on the team) on the first PP was insane. Unless you think the carrot and stick coaching style would be effective in shaping him up. Hopefully Eakins will be able to strike a balance and get the best out of him.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I think Sprong is one of many overrated, meh forwards we have who we are overattached to. Hopefully in a few years, some of the hotter prospects will turn into legit NHL big-time guys and we will laugh at all the time we spent trying to decide which 40-point back-6 wingers were the most important. Sure, you can put players in their best position to succeed, but the ones you really want are the ones who don't *need* that to be useful.

Now that said, he's still pretty young, so there's a chance he could break out and become better than this. But currently, I'm just not enamored.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
He has the best shot on the team (maybe outside Silf, but Sprong actually gets his off in-game at full-speed). I'd like to see him start the season with Getz and see how he does. These training videos are pretty cool!

Comtois/Jones - Getz - Sprong
Rakell - Steel - Silf
Ritchie - Henrique - Kase

are three lines who can threaten to score at any time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He has the best shot on the team (maybe outside Silf, but Sprong actually gets his off in-game at full-speed). I'd like to see him start the season with Getz and see how he does. These training videos are pretty cool!

Comtois/Jones - Getz - Sprong
Rakell - Steel - Silf
Ritchie - Henrique - Kase

are three lines who can threaten to score at any time.
I like those lines but i feel like terry will be on roster.

I think
Comtois getzlaf kase
Rakell steel silf
Ritchie henrique terry
Jones shore/rowney sprong

Grant and shore/rowney as depth.

I feel like putting ritchie with terry to protect him to start season. But swappin ritchie and comtois could work too

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

I think
Comtois getzlaf kase
Rakell steel silf
Ritchie henrique terry

I feel like putting ritchie with terry to protect him to start season. But swappin ritchie and comtois could work too
I don't think both Jones and Comtois will be on the team, at least to start.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kinda tend to agree.. i feel like shore or grant will be on 4th line...

But theres part of me that feels like comtois isnt going to play his way into opening night roster. Wouldnt be shocked if both are on roster in game 1

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015

I think
Comtois getzlaf kase
Rakell steel silf
Ritchie henrique terry

I think for the first time in ages, we may see them roll 4 solid lines (when uninjured). Keep the wear-n-tear on Getz/Henrique down, be a harder team to match up against than all our top-heavy years.

I'd expect to see a ton of different line combinations to start until Dallas figures out what works.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Sprong has only played the equivalent of 1 season. He still needs time/ more games played before you can expect a true break out IMO.

He lost a bit if time because of his injury so people need to be patient. Expect him to keep learning for a year or two.

Reactions: Dmang714

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011

I think
Comtois getzlaf kase
Rakell steel silf
Ritchie henrique terry

Putting Sprong on the 4th line with no high skill players to set him up would be a waste IMO. I'd prefer he were centered by one of Getzlaf or Henrique.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Putting Sprong on the 4th line with no high skill players to set him up would be a waste IMO. I'd prefer he were centered by one of Getzlaf or Henrique.
You could say same thing bout terry and kase.... silf on 4th line isnt gunna happen.

Good chane a rw is injured and sprong moves up

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Silfverberg led the team in goals (24) last season, he and Rakell are the the only players on the team to score 20+ goals 3 of the last 4 seasons, and is 3rd in points behind Getzlaf and Rakell for the time span. He’s not going to play on the 4th line.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Kinda tend to agree.. i feel like shore or grant will be on 4th line...

But theres part of me that feels like comtois isnt going to play his way into opening night roster. Wouldnt be shocked if both are on roster in game 1
Yeah I think expectations for Comtois are unreasonably high right now. To be honest I think it's more likely that neither will make the team than both.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Silfverberg led the team in goals (24) last season, he and Rakell are the the only players on the team to score 20+ goals 3 of the last 4 seasons, and is 3rd in points behind Getzlaf and Rakell for the time span. He’s not going to play on the 4th line.

I never said Silf should play there instead? I just think taking the only pure shooter we have in the entire organization and giving him sub 10 minutes of ice time with Jones/Grant/Rowney as his linemates is a f***ing horrible idea. Play someone on their off wing is need be, just give Sprong someone to work with.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I never said Silf should play there instead? I just think taking the only pure shooter we have in the entire organization and giving him sub 10 minutes of ice time with Jones/Grant/Rowney as his linemates is a ****ing horrible idea. Play someone on their off wing is need be, just give Sprong someone to work with.
I’d suspect Kase will open up a RW spot for him pretty quickly.

Reactions: Dmang714

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
I’d suspect Kase will open up a RW spot for him pretty quickly.

Most likely, but I'd like to have options other than relegating Sprong to the 4th line in the event that we are able to stay healthy for the first time in ages.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Most likely, but I'd like to have options other than relegating Sprong to the 4th line in the event that we are able to stay healthy for the first time in ages.
I’m in the camp that feels Comtois is starting in San Diego, and that Jones likely is too. There will be space.

Sprong can learn how to play the system on the 4th line, it’s nit like Grant/Rowney/Shore are typical 4th line grinders with no setup skills or speed. He should get PP time, and let him earn his ice time.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
I’m in the camp that feels Comtois is starting in San Diego, and that Jones likely is too. There will be space.

Sprong can learn how to play the system on the 4th line, it’s nit like Grant/Rowney/Shore are typical 4th line grinders with no setup skills or speed. He should get PP time, and let him earn his ice time.

PP time is a must for him. And I agree in regards to Jones/Comtois.

Shore wouldn't be too bad of a linemate, although I still think Sprong could be a 30 goal guy if he plays with Getz. If my math is correct (probably isn't lol) Sprong was on a 24 goal pace on our offensively Pejorative Slured team last season. With a better system and playing with Getz he could be our best goal scorer.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I could see Eakins start Jones and Comtois in San Diego next season until the inevitable injury hits.
Something like:
Sprong-Getz-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Shore-Rowney-Grant

This is especially if they're planning on running the top 3 lines fairly evenly. Maybe swap Terry and Kase?

It's too bad Jones and Comtois both play LW, would have eventually wanted to see the 2 of them with Steel to form the Max Steel line

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
PP time is a must for him. And I agree in regards to Jones/Comtois.

Shore wouldn't be too bad of a linemate, although I still think Sprong could be a 30 goal guy if he plays with Getz. If my math is correct (probably isn't lol) Sprong was on a 24 goal pace on our offensively ******ed team last season. With a better system and playing with Getz he could be our best goal scorer.
Agreed on the goal scoring potential, but I think he needs to be developed properly. Let him play on a sheltered 3rd line, and not get overwhelmed by the stacked defensive lines/pairings that Getzlaf gets. Learning bad habits because he’s getting frustrated with being overmatched is part of what got him where he is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad