Daniel Sedin's Struggles

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I think we can all see he has struggled to score goals since Duncan Keith's cowardly head hunt. It could be many things. And it's obvious his struggles go back to last year.

1.keiths hit
2. General decline due to age.

And il just throw this out there.. Maybe the point of contention in the sedin twins contract talks is the organization is telling them Daniel should be paid less than hank. Maybe it's bothering Daniel and affecting his play. Puting pressure on himself.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I hate duncan keith. I still can't believe our spineless team still hasn't dealt with him.

Dan hasn't been the same since. Seriously, who viciously cheapshots a Sedin? Two of the kindest people on this planet.

The only thing that disgusted me more than the hit was the pathetic suspension handed down by shanahan and co. screw you shanahan!!!! That should have been a very long suspension, but i guess they couldnt let sweet little boy duncan keith miss the playoffs.

honestly, if they really want to do something with headshots, let players serve longer suspensions during the regular season AND suspend them for at least half of that length during the playoffs. That will stop at least a few clowns from pulling off this nonsense. It lets them know that even if they pull some stunt early on in the regular season that they will still be punished when it counts. I know some teams don't make the playoffs, but I still think it could act as a deterrent.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
It's definitely worrying and as time goes on it seems less and less likely Daniel will break out of his funk.

I hadn't thought about a potential difference in contracts between them, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah, this is really concerning, because Hank looks as dominant as ever. I doubt they get different amounts, but I would do 7 for Henrik and 5 for Daniel.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Can we please stop blaming Duncan Keith for Daniel Sedin's decline in play? It's absurd, and completely ignores the fact that Daniel had a 12 game stretch prior to that hit where he scored 2 goals and 4 points. He had been struggling prior to that hit.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Historically, playmakers play at a high level much longer than goalscorers do. Have to wonder if this is what is causing Daniel to fade in relation to Henrik. Probably has more to do with this than the Keith elbow...

I would hold off on re-signing the twins until we see where Daniel's game is at later in the season. If he doesn't pick it up, I don't think you can entertain the $7.5mil, 5 year deal we've seen bandied about. You would probably just find yourself in another Naslund situation 2 years from now. That was ugly.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, this is really concerning, because Hank looks as dominant as ever. I doubt they get different amounts, but I would do 7 for Henrik and 5 for Daniel.

6 for each, call it a day. At this point its a bit much for Daniel but a discount for Henrik so whatever.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Historically, playmakers play at a high level much longer than goalscorers do. Have to wonder if this is what is causing Daniel to fade in relation to Henrik. Probably has more to do with this than the Keith elbow...

I would hold off on re-signing the twins until we see where Daniel's game is at later in the season. If he doesn't pick it up, I don't think you can entertain the $7.5mil, 5 year deal we've seen bandied about. You would probably just find yourself in another Naslund situation 2 years from now. That was ugly.

I don't think twins will go up to 7.5. This is their last contract and they take another home town discount so around 5 to 5.5 million

Lundface*

Can we please stop blaming Duncan Keith for Daniel Sedin's decline in play? It's absurd, and completely ignores the fact that Daniel had a 12 game stretch prior to that hit where he scored 2 goals and 4 points. He had been struggling prior to that hit.

Henrik had a dry spell at the same time, yet he looks as good as he did in his Art Ross season. Daniel looks like a shell of his former self, weak along the boards, weak on his skates and doesn't look threatening at all. Whereas Hank is carrying this dead weight team as far as he can for the second straight year. We had a crutch in Schneider that we no longer have and the premier players of the past for this team in Daniel, Kesler, Hamhuis and Luongo continue to sputter around. Henrik and Garrison can only take them so far, right now the only support they have is Santorelli, Richardson, Tanev and Stanton. Ie low cost players, all our big money guys are underperforming at the moment.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'd rather not be paying Daniel Sedin $6M to produce like crap. $5M for him max, and if they insist on matching contracts then Henrik should go down to $5M too.

Produce like crap is an overstatement. He's been a 65-75 point player over the last 2-3 years.

Term is where I would be careful, not so much the dollar figure. A lot of players fall off significantly at 34-36 years of age and locking the twins in to a 4-5 year deal with a big cap hit is risky. The fact they haven't been re-signed makes it pretty clear Gillis is concerned with term as well IMO. Especially when you consider how willing Gillis has been to let other veterans walk when they appraoch the twilight of their careers - Naslund, Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, Samuelsson, Demitra etc...

Gillis doesn't seem to like players approaching their mid-thirties. This could be an interesting negotiation. Probably not out of the realm of possibility we see the twins pull an Alfredsson if Gillis balks at giving them term.

John Bender*

I'd rather not be paying Daniel Sedin $6M to produce like crap. $5M for him max, and if they insist on matching contracts then Henrik should go down to $5M too.

It must kill you to see how dominating Henrik has been.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
You risk alienating the entire fanbase if you lose the Sedins however. It's not as even bad as Naslund as we had the Sedins coming up at that point. Gillis is shrewd and calculative and he's definitely cautious of signing the Sedins long term but with the cap going up and the fact that we have no absolute stars coming out of the systems (Horvat and Shinkaruk don't count yet) it puts Gillis in a really difficult position in the direction of this franchise.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Hmm so in your opinion Daniel Sedin and David Clarkos are worth roughly the same? Interesting.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Produce like crap is an overstatement. He's been a 65-75 point player over the last 2-3 years.

Term is where I would be careful, not so much the dollar figure. A lot of players fall off significantly at 34-36 years of age and locking the twins in to a 4-5 year deal with a big cap hit is risky. The fact they haven't been re-signed makes it pretty clear Gillis is concerned with term as well IMO. Especially when you consider how willing Gillis has been to let other veterans walk when they appraoch the twilight of their careers - Naslund, Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, Samuelsson, Demitra etc...

Gillis doesn't seem to like players approaching their mid-thirties. This could be an interesting negotiation. Probably not out of the realm of possibility we see the twins pull an Alfredsson if Gillis balks at giving them term.

Yeah I agree. I don't want the Sedin's to be signed too high for a long contract. Maybe 2-3 years 6M?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.900m)
Hunter Shinkaruk ($1.138m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($1.775m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Jeremy Welsh ($1.000m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.200m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Chris Tanev ($1.700m)
Yannick Weber ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($2.000m)

OTHER

Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,295,833; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,066,667

I don't know who I would exactly add for another defenseman or forward but we can still afford both for depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00