Confirmed with Link: Daniel Cleary (1 year, $1.5 MM + $1 MM bonus potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If they bury Jurco, I hope he demands a trade.
Come on. He hasn't spent a ton of time in GR and he's only 21. If they 'bury' him it'll most likely only be for part of the season, as he'll be up as soon as there are injuries and probably permantly post-deadline at the latest. If they bury him because of CLEARY it will frickin' suck, but I don't think it would hurt him to play a bit more in GR, being the star there instead of playing 3rd line minutes in the NHL.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
tumblr_lsjwqh8Lv41qi5z3io2_500.gif

More Dan Cleary, my fan base couldn't get through to me

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
The problem is not Jurco, It's going to be Mitch and Lando!! If we loose Mitch for this pile I hope he goes to a different team and crushes the wings every time we play him.

Yeah, he'll wreak havoc on us from a 4th line or a press box :laugh:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yeah, he'll wreak havoc on us from a 4th line or a press box :laugh:

Hes, faster, strong, bigger, better shot, better net front, tougher, and has wayyy more hart than Danny boy!!! And he is just one of the guys we may loose for this dip **** being brought back! Spin it any way you want this was a BAD BAD MOVE on Kennys part.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
But see, that's where guys like Z and Dats are different. They think the game completely differently than anyone but similarly skilled players on other teams. They do and see stuff that other players just don't or can't... and not because they're faster or stronger.

All Cleary ever had was his grit and determination. He was a scrap heap pickup by the Wings and he made good for awhile because he just worked really really hard. He's always been a plugger who got by because he was going to work harder than the guy across from him. That's why people on the team love him so much. He's going to give 110%. The problem is that he's lost a step or two now, so his 110% is around a normal NHLers 60%.

It's kind of like Rudy, but instead of him graduating and going off into the sunset after the game everyone cheered for him, Dan Devine kept him around and made him the starting DE over the 5 star recruits they were bringing in.

You can believe that, but, I promise you that Zetterberg's game is just as much because he, for his size, is especially strong and is able to use that to keep positioning and move players off of pucks. And that Datsyuk's game has a lot to do with the fact he has really good burst speed and leg strength. They have the IQ to stay in the league, but once they start to decline physically they won't stay top line players for too long.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hes, faster, strong, bigger, better shot, better net front, tougher, and has wayyy more hart than Danny boy!!! And he is just one of the guys we may loose for this dip **** being brought back! Spin it any way you want this was a BAD BAD MOVE on Kennys part.

Wow. This site is ridiculous. First, there was the guy stumping big time for Thomas McCollum like the Wings were missing out on prime Dominik Hasek. Now, apparently Mitch Callahan is gonna go on and become some superstar that we'll regret ever losing.

I understand not wanting to resign a broken down Dan Cleary, but there are real issues like potentially not having Tomas Jurco (who actually has top 6 talent) in the NHL or having Gustav Nyquist (who is pretty much a top 6 winger right now) buried in the minors. Not potentially losing fourth line plugs that if they get called up will just get complained about.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We're so accustomed to this overripening theory, that we forget that there's more than one way to develop players.

Let's remember that our two best players played 0 games in Grand Rapids, and started out as bottom 6 players in Detroit. It's not as simple as 1st line in GR > 3rd line in DET. I mean, I guess Datsyuk and Zetterberg turned out kinda decent. And I see people saying Jurco still has things to work on... You can't work on things and develop in the NHL? I mean again, look at how well rounded D and Z turned out.

The whole issue with potentially burying out Jurco for a guy like Cleary is that it makes you a worse team. Jurco is one of the best 9 forwards in the organization; so he should be on the team; whether he needs to work on things or not.

Organizational depth is great. When guys get hurt and you can plug players in and not miss a beat, that is a true asset. The problem is when you are burying players in your organization behind players that are worse than them. That's what Detroit does, and has done the last couple years. It is truly a horrible way to manage a roster and your assets.

There are 1-2 players better than both Kindl and Quincey in Grand Rapids. There are at least 3 players down in Grand Rapids better than Cleary. It is just unacceptable to ice an inferior team because our GM is ultra conservative, and more concerned with friendships than building a competitive team.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're so accustomed to this overripening theory, that we forget that there's more than one way to develop players.

Let's remember that our two best players played 0 games in Grand Rapids, and started out as bottom 6 players in Detroit. It's not as simple as 1st line in GR > 3rd line in DET. I mean, I guess Datsyuk and Zetterberg turned out kinda decent. And I see people saying Jurco still has things to work on... You can't work on things and develop in the NHL? I mean again, look at how well rounded D and Z turned out.

The whole issue with potentially burying out Jurco for a guy like Cleary is that it makes you a worse team. Jurco is one of the best 9 forwards in the organization; so he should be on the team; whether he needs to work on things or not.

Organizational depth is great. When guys get hurt and you can plug players in and not miss a beat, that is a true asset. The problem is when you are burying players in your organization behind players that are worse than them. That's what Detroit does, and has done the last couple years. It is truly a horrible eat to manage a roster and your assets.

There are 1-2 players better than both Kindl and Quincey in Grand Rapids. There are at least 3 players down in Grand Rapids better than Cleary. It is just unacceptable to ice an inferior team because our GM is ultra conservative, and more concerned with friendships than building a competitive team.

Yeah, that sums up a lot of how I feel right now, too.If Jurco was looking at fourth line duties at best because we signed Alfredsson and/or someone like Moulson or another top forward, I'm fine with it. We would be filling the roster with a clearly superior player. To keep guys in GR for the likes of Cleary (and even Miller, Andersson, Glendening) and Kindl/Quincey seems like a bad move to me.

If Jurco can take a job in the top9, he should get it. Same with Marchenko and XO. If Kindl can't keep his spot, he should be moved at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, that sums up a lot of how I feel right now, too.If Jurco was looking at fourth line duties at best because we signed Alfredsson and/or someone like Moulson or another top forward, I'm fine with it. We would be filling the roster with a clearly superior player. To keep guys in GR for the likes of Cleary (and even Miller, Andersson, Glendening) and Kindl/Quincey seems like a bad move to me.

If Jurco can take a job in the top9, he should get it. Same with Marchenko and XO. If Kindl can't keep his spot, he should be moved at this point.

I have absolutely zero faith in roster spots being given out based on merit. I mean, we were just shown how contracts aren't given out based on merit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

they've already basically said that without multiple injuries, the kids on D will start in GR. no direct quote but khan said it so management must have told him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have absolutely zero faith in roster spots being given out based on merit. I mean, we were just shown how contracts aren't given out based on merit.

I don't really have faith in it, either, but I'm agreeing with you that these guys should have a spot if they earn it. I think we've goofed in recent years with Smith and Nyquist (less with Tatar), and probably goofing again with XO and Marchenko.

they've already basically said that without multiple injuries, the kids on D will start in GR. no direct quote but khan said it so management must have told him.

I've seen the posts around here about it. I think it's a mistake,and we're wasting time not promoting kids when they're ready. I think XO and Marchenko could handle the bump, and I'd be curious to see what Jensen could do with the right opportunity. I think his game will translate very well to the NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I've seen the posts around here about it. I think it's a mistake,and we're wasting time not promoting kids when they're ready. I think XO and Marchenko could handle the bump, and I'd be curious to see what Jensen could do with the right opportunity. I think his game will translate very well to the NHL.

of course it's a mistake. they have 5 players there who all could be NHLers and are out of waiver options in 2 seasons. it's idiotic to keep them all down there. trade some of them and get something useful to help the current roster bc there is no room for all of them in 2 years.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Organizational depth is great. When guys get hurt and you can plug players in and not miss a beat, that is a true asset. The problem is when you are burying players in your organization behind players that are worse than them. That's what Detroit does, and has done the last couple years. It is truly a horrible way to manage a roster and your assets.

Some really good points.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Not suprised at all.

He will play togheter with Zetterberg and Datsuyk.

Bertuzzi and Samuelsson is next in line to get resigned.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary
Franzen - Weiss - Bertuzzi
Samuelsson - Helm - Nyqvist
Miller - Andersson - Abby
Tatar

Kronwall - Quincey
Smith - Dekesyer
Kindl - Ericsson
Lashoff

Thats how it will look.

Btw, change your avatars to the same as I have.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Holland is the worst GM that has ever existed in the sports history.

He deserves prison imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Not trying to defend the Cleary resigning, but the bolded part is ridiculous. Cleary is tough as nails, and has the biggest heart on the team. Its why he's a broken down piece of junk now. He has given everything and more for this team.

As for Callahan and Ferraro, right now they are both borderline NHLers. We should be legitimately upset about Jurco and Mantha being denied a roster spot. Mitch and Landon.....not so much.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Wow. This site is ridiculous. First, there was the guy stumping big time for Thomas McCollum like the Wings were missing out on prime Dominik Hasek. Now, apparently Mitch Callahan is gonna go on and become some superstar that we'll regret ever losing.

I understand not wanting to resign a broken down Dan Cleary, but there are real issues like potentially not having Tomas Jurco (who actually has top 6 talent) in the NHL or having Gustav Nyquist (who is pretty much a top 6 winger right now) buried in the minors. Not potentially losing fourth line plugs that if they get called up will just get complained about.

Ummm Nyquist is on the team! you really think Jurco will stay down? get real! You can and most likely lose players like Mitch and Lando now! Yep damn those 6' 200lbs, right handed mean wingers! Oh and his 29 goals and 18Asst last year just suck as well. :shakehead:shakehead
And we really don't need any right handed shooting centers either! So lets just let let Ferraro walk as well. This crap of letting kids rot is no longer going to work! And it is the teams with the GOOD 4TH LINE PLUGS as you put that win!! That is called depth not plugs by the way. :shakehead:shakehead Keep backing Kenny and we are the dead wings again!!!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ummm Nyquist is on the team! you really think Jurco will stay down? get real! You can and most likely lose players like Mitch and Lando now! Yep damn those 6' 200lbs, right handed mean wingers! Oh and his 29 goals and 18Asst last year just suck as well. :shakehead:shakehead
And we really don't need any right handed shooting centers either! So lets just let let Ferraro walk as well. This crap of letting kids rot is no longer going to work! And it is the teams with the GOOD 4TH LINE PLUGS as you put that win!! That is called depth not plugs by the way. :shakehead:shakehead Keep backing Kenny and we are the dead wings again!!!

the Wings lack of good 4th liners isn't exactly a huge problem though

or at least it wouldn't be if the roster and lineup were actually properly constructed and Abdelkader and Helm were on the 4th line

losing Callahan and Ferraro without them getting a shot is gonna suck but it's not like the end of the world or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad