Player Discussion Daniel Carr

Status
Not open for further replies.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
Personally, I'm currently more concerned about player development in both leagues rather than upside.

In an effort to learn a system, we've hamstrung a lot of our skilled players by not emphasizing their offensive growth as well as defensive play. I feel it's setting it's us back substantially.
I feel like that's been our problem going way back to Perezhogin and the Kostitsytns.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally, I'm currently more concerned about player development in both leagues rather than upside.

In an effort to learn a system, we've hamstrung a lot of our skilled players by not emphasizing their offensive growth as well as defensive play. I feel it's setting it's us back substantially.

anyone that is a regular in the Hamilton thread for the past 3 years knows my feelings on our issues with development. But I do think it's important to have our skilled guys learning how to play in their own end.

I feel like that's been our problem going way back to Perezhogin and the Kostitsytns.

along with asset management, both have been big problems over the years, not always at the same time.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have never hidden the fact I'm not Sly's biggest fan either. His inability to make the playoffs and to form an even passable powerplay are big detriments to the development of our kids. That being said, i do think true talent generally ''finds a way'' so to speak. I don't like the way some of our most gifted prospects have been handled at times but I don't think it kept the very best from rising above the rest in a visible way. Guys like Hudon, Carr, DLR and Pateryn have stood out and I think they would have regardless of who the coach would have been.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have never hidden the fact I'm not Sly's biggest fan either. His inability to make the playoffs and to form an even passable powerplay are big detriments to the development of our kids. That being said, i do think true talent generally ''finds a way'' so to speak. I don't like the way some of our most gifted prospects have been handled at times but I don't think it kept the very best from rising above the rest in a visible way. Guys like Hudon, Carr, DLR and Pateryn have stood out and I think they would have regardless of who the coach would have been.

best not to go down that road in this thread, there's a thread around somewhere that discussed Lefebvre in detail.

Really ? I thought he had good size.

yea he's got some height but skinny.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I saw him live once (bell center). He looked fast, he has some tools. His finishing wasn't up that night though. He was missing the net alot but I guess he has 2nd line player ceiling.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
So is Hudon. i guess Gally has become the bench mark to which we measure excellence and heart now. Hard bar to reach imo.

I don't think Hudon is even remotely comparable to Gallagher. Not the same drive on the ice. He gets by on smart play, not hard work. Which should turn into a longer career if he can stay healthy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think Hudon or Carr compare to Gallagher at all. Gallagher is all heart, all motor and no fear. Hudon is smarts and skills, he can slow the play down and uses his vision/playmaking abilities to get the puck to the open spots on the ice. He knows where to be and what to do with the puck. He does have a bit of sandpaper to his game ala Gallagher but that's about it. Carr seems smart and hard working but not a guy that drives the net like Gallagher.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think Hudon is even remotely comparable to Gallagher. Not the same drive on the ice. He gets by on smart play, not hard work. Which should turn into a longer career if he can stay healthy.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-hudon-impresses-at-development-camp/

It’s a promise you expect Hudon to deliver on, especially when he says he models himself after Brendan Gallagher—another diminutive fifth-rounder, known as well for his tenacity and edginess as he is for his skill.

“I like to talk on the ice like Gally does,†joked Hudon.

If the Canadiens give him a chance to show what he can do come October, he might just prove he can score like Gallagher at this level, too.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Daniel Carr just gets it done

I couldn't find a previous thread on this prospect please merge if one exists.

The guy has my complete attention this year. He just seems to get it done.
I sense he is the best hockey player out of our forward group currently.
I will leave McCarron and Sherbie out of the picture for now.
He seems to have a little Doug Gilmour in him with regards to reading the play.

I know some folk were very high on him going back as far as two years ago.
I'm just wondering how good can this kid be.
I'm assuming some of you folks have seen a more in depth sampling of his play.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Well he's already 23 so he has an upper hand on most of the other guys in the preseason. The veterans just go through the motions while the younger guys lack the physic and experience that he has. That's probably why he's stood out so much.

He seems to have improved a lot since the last time I saw him though. Maybe he has some untapped potential that nobody knew about. The habs should keep a very close eye on him and maybe call him up if an injury occurs or to stir the pot.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I haven't been overly impressed. He has been one of the better rookie forwards but he is not good enough yet to play regularly in the NHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I haven't been overly impressed. He has been one of the better rookie forwards but he is not good enough yet to play regularly in the NHL.

It may be a coincidence but he did spark Plecky and Gallagher.
Maybe the contrast between him and Flynn last night has me fooled. :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I wasn't overly impressed with him last year and so far that hasn't changed but we'll see how he does this year. He's about to turn 24 in 30 some days, but if he keeps improving he could be a call up at some point as he has a good shot and can put the puck in the net.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wasn't overly impressed with him last year and so far that hasn't changed but we'll see how he does this year. He's about to turn 24 in 30 some days, but if he keeps improving he could be a call up at some point as he has a good shot and can put the puck in the net.

We are or at least were missing that finish on this club.
It remains to be seen just how much impact our new acquisitions can make in that regard.
What I do like about Carr in the games I've seen is he's not sitting back waiting for things to come to him, he's going out there to make things happen.
He was good with Mac and DSP and he was also good with Plecky and Gally.

He led Hamilton in goals last year which is why I was asking if someone saw him in a larger sample size.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-daniel-carr-is-a-canadiens-prospect-to-watch/

Good read on this kid by Eric Engels. His highlights look pretty great to me, yet no one in here is really talking about him being a viable option. What's the deal? Is Engels overhyping him or or we underrating him?

Interesting read on Carr. Thanks for sharing.

His pre-season games don't do justice to the type of player he has shown he can be. Love the comments about his tenacity and work ethic. Also, very encouraging to see how he upped his game last year when entrusted with greater responsibilities. Are we as fans underestimating him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad