Tribute Daniel Alfredsson VS Erik Karlsson

Greatest Sen

• Total voters

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah EK doesn’t touch Alfie in this particular regard, kind of a Federov vs Yzerman situation.

EK was amazing for us, legend really, but like Spezza should probably never been captain of the team. I would have liked for us to have just let EK be the free and clear superstar, and let a guy like Stone be the guy where the buck stopped.

As I’ve stated I see us building up in this vein again now. Stu will be our care free superstar, Brady will be the warrior captain, and Chabot and Sanderson will be the twin towers on the back end (Neids and Pronger).

One of the Euro tenders will be our Scandinavian super star.

It’s Lord of the Sens adventure in the making.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
The chance was there for Karlsson to take the mantle, but it didn't happen for various circumstances. Definitely the greater talent at his peak, but not the 'greatest' Sen in the wider sense.

Had it not been for injuries, the front office woes, and everything else - I think he could've taken the crown.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Had it not been for injuries, the front office woes, and everything else - I think he could've taken the crown.
I think the potential was there, Alfredsson didn't grow into the legend he became until his 30s.

Kalsson was probably the most exciting player we ever had, he was the one who looked most like a sure fire Hall of Famer, he was the only guy to be a consistent favourite little lone threat for a major award, but two things held him back, consistency and health.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Can I vote EK for having the worst + -????

Alfie wins hands down, EK was never a leader.

Come on. The two most incredible shows of heart and resilience by the team were shown when EK was captain and leading the way by example. There was the Hammond run as a first year captain and there was the ECF run on one leg. Not to mention the Pesky Sens identity. I doubt there are many players who have accomplished more with less.

And can you imagine Karlssons +/- if he played on the 2005 Senators?

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Chara-Karlsson

That's a +50 season lol

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Come on. The two most incredible shows of heart and resilience by the team were shown when EK was captain and leading the way by example. There was the Hammond run as a first year captain and there was the ECF run on one leg. Not to mention the Pesky Sens identity. I doubt there are many players who have accomplished more with less.

And can you imagine Karlssons +/- if he played on the 2005 Senators?

Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Chara-Karlsson

That's a +50 season lol
It's hogwash how a team that can't spend near the cap consistently still has detractors that place the blame on the players as if they weren't operating with a significant handicap.

EK was incredible and clearly did about the best that could possibly be expected considering the roster around him. He basically destroyed his career to help carry a team as far as it would go, I don't know if you get better "leadership" than that.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
For a player of Karlssons caliber the fact that the best we could do is Kuba and Methot as his partners is sad. Methot didn't make Karlsson better, Karlsson made Methot look like a top pair d. Karlsson was gonna do Karlsson things regardless.

I guess they could have done worse than Meth, but they could have done a lot better too.

When Methot was healthy, he was a solid shut down. Karlsson definitely did make him look better regarding puck movement. But Methot covered Karlsson's ass when it came to the dirtiest parts of the game. We got the best Methot and the best Karlsson as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Back in Black

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When Methot was healthy, he was a solid shut down. Karlsson definitely did make him look better regarding puck movement. But Methot covered Karlsson's ass when it came to the dirtiest parts of the game. We got the best Methot and the best Karlsson as far as I am concerned.
Methot is criminally underrated sometimes.

The year Karlsson went down, Methot was hands down our best dman all season and was clearly head and shoulders above anyone else on D other than Karlsson for his entire time in Ottawa.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

The year Karlsson went down, Methot was hands down our best dman all season and was clearly head and shoulders above anyone else on D other than Karlsson for his entire time in Ottawa.

He was fantastic on a pairing with Gryba.

Assen na yo!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
What a shaft that Norris BS was.

He was arguably the greatest offensive defenseman of all time, let alone our time. Injuries tore him down early, but he was one of a kind.

Party time and “bulking up” in the summer tore him down also.
He became a movie star “the Karl don’t need to practice”

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Party time and “bulking up” in the summer tore him down also.
He became a movie star “the Karl don’t need to practice”

idk was probably because of 3 major lower body injuries as well as being ridden into the ground carrying the Senators for 27 mins a night. What player doesn't break down going through that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You know who was criminally underated that year, Gonchar. Guy was playing all situations, nearly led the team in scoring. Probably would have if he hadn't missed 3 games.

Pretty much every body pulled a over their weight that year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You know who was criminally underated that year, Gonchar. Guy was playing all situations, nearly led the team in scoring. Probably would have if he hadn't missed 3 games.

Pretty much every body pulled a over their weight that year.
That is for sure. He was a beast too. Earned that contract in the one season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah EK doesn’t touch Alfie in this particular regard, kind of a Federov vs Yzerman situation.

EK was amazing for us, legend really, but like Spezza should probably never been captain of the team. I would have liked for us to have just let EK be the free and clear superstar, and let a guy like Stone be the guy where the buck stopped.

As I’ve stated I see us building up in this vein again now. Stu will be our care free superstar, Brady will be the warrior captain, and Chabot and Sanderson will be the twin towers on the back end (Neids and Pronger).

One of the Euro tenders will be our Scandinavian super star.

It’s Lord of the Sens adventure in the making.

I think this analogy makes Kleven an Ent.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If Karlsson signed that big ticket and his play trended downwards how many of us would turn on him? How much would that tarnish his reputation amongst you guys?

Hypothetically if his tenure was extended I’d still take Alfie but with how things turned out I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Who knows though? Maybe EK throws another Norris with us in his trophy case banking shots from the point off Tkachuk.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Two things I’d say with certainty:

• Erik Karlsson is the most talented Senator in history (Spezza is a close 2nd)
• Daniel Alfredsson is the best Senator in history

Looking back on their careers though, you really notice how times have changed. With the rise of social media, 24/7 analysis of everything from everyone, the introduction of the salary cap, etc... there’s far less patience.

Consider that both Karlsson and Stone both left the team when they were 27, and many fans were on the “it’s too late for these guys to be part of the future, if they haven’t done it by now they’ll never do it, we need to move on and get younger” train.

Well, when Daniel Alfredsson was 28 years old, we had just been swept by the Leafs for our 3rd loss to them in 3 years, and had won just 1 playoff round in 5 seasons. Alfredsson was criticized for being a bad leader, a choker, and callers to post-game shows on Team 1200 wanted to trade him for players like Craig Conroy or Brenden Morrow.

Imagine if that had happened?

Alfredsson didn’t really become “Alfie” until 06/07, when he was 34 years old.

Crazy to think about. People on here are already saying the Stone contract will be a disaster by the time he turns 31. In reality, the “legend” of Mark Stone might not start until he’s 31.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad