Denmark: Danes in NHL 2015-16

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
A massive night..really nice to see Eller play a great game at center too...

He looked so confident before taking that shootout.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Looks like another great night. Two periods in and already a hattrick for Nikolaj Ehlers!

He had it coming....has been the best Jets player the last few games maybe except the mighty Byfuglien. I hope we can expect much more from his hands in the next few months. To bad the all star break is on now....

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
That's like what... the fourth hattrick by a Dane this year? WTF?

It got me looking at the score totals for Danes. Eller's been left behind in Montreals utter collapse. But four Danes are in striking distance of a 20 goals season(Only Frans done that. Once.)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Kid is getting hotter and hotter...And like Bagge said, this has been coming..

And what a hatty it was...3 great goals.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I should complain about players more often!

Ever since i declared my discontent with Ehlers performance, he has really been playing well, and that hattrick last night was a proper shut the **** up to me :D

I like it, good on Ehlers, great game!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
About Ehlers I think he should stay on the Winnipeg roster and learn. He has the talent he just needs the confidence. He is not even close to a "Niederreiter year" (1G 0A in 55 games in 2011-12) and he still turned out a good season last year - so I'm sure Ehlers will bounce back eventually.
He probably just have "mental fatigue", because of all the tension up to debuting in the NHL.
He could likely get a new boost either in December and January......
Some time ago I wrote this. Seemed it took until January to have him flare up again!
Congratulations to him on his first hat trick in NHL. :handclap:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Ehlers won his first fight last night...bench went craaaazy.

Im not in general a very big fan of hockey fights in hockey, but that must really help with earning the respect of his team mates.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Im not in general a very big fan of hockey fights in hockey, but that must really help with earning the respect of his team mates.

Yeah weird - one should think that playing well and working hard for the team would do that trick, but fighting surely is massively valued in NHL.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yeah weird - one should think that playing well and working hard for the team would do that trick, but fighting surely is massively valued in NHL.

It would for me but you know how they are over there.

I will however add that Wheeler was being attacked by two guys, so we was sticking up for a teammate. They showed a longer clip of it during the game.

heres the fight btw

Last edited:

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014

I like fights, if they have clear purpose or reason. I absolutely hate those showcase matches in first seconds of the game between two goons. But if your team mate is hurt by questionable hit, you will need to respond.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think that when you enter a "playing field" you are bound to act accordingly to the rules and show self control and discipline.
I find fighting in a "playing field" essentially goon-like and on the same level as politicians, who physically assault other members of parliament if another party member say something they don't like. A Parliament is also a verbal "playing field" with rules.
It degrades them in my eyes into those unpredictable individuals who cannot control their own emotions.

Funny enough South Korea that normally have very self controlled lives seems to totally lose it when it comes to politics.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHMrgwAuJ_U
South Korea Parliament where even the women brawl with each other.
Use of excellent martial arts technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahY7A0zDkeU

In Japan you had a politician run through with a samurai sword on live television in 1960:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEx7uCFX_nA

I think most Danish people at least would be horrified to see politicians physically assault each other (the last one was off course extreme also for Japanese people).

That referees accepts this behavior in ice hockey is really weird, when you yourself have tried multiple sport cultures. If you started punching or hitting other players in field hockey (where you also have a lethal stick in your hand and almost no safety equipment) you would probably face a lifetime ban.
Some sports have honour codes based on self control. NHL have an honour code based on fighting the opponents and to make retaliation attacks against those that harmed on from our team (even if they did do it legally within the rules!).
I know that professional physical sports sometimes have a higher degree of acceptance towards fighting than amateur non-physical sports, but the bottom-line is that the more dangerous sport tools you carry around (like wooden clubs and razor sharp skates) the more the safety need to really make sure those playing have absolute control over themselves.

Acceptance of fighting is a cultural element, that can easily appear if sanctioned and also easily be removed if they are strictly enforced against. Humans are adaptable.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I think that when you enter a "playing field" you are bound to act accordingly to the rules and show self control and discipline.
I find fighting in a "playing field" essentially goon-like and on the same level as politicians, who physically assault other members of parliament if another party member say something they don't like. A Parliament is also a verbal "playing field" with rules.
It degrades them in my eyes into those unpredictable individuals who cannot control their own emotions.

Funny enough South Korea that normally have very self controlled lives seems to totally lose it when it comes to politics.
Use of excellent martial arts technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahY7A0zDkeU

In Japan you had a politician run through with a samurai sword on live television in 1960:

I think most Danish people at least would be horrified to see politicians physically assault each other
(the last one was off course extreme also for Japanese people).

That referees accepts this behavior in ice hockey is really weird, when you yourself have tried multiple sport cultures. If you started punching or hitting other players in field hockey (where you also have a lethal stick in your hand and almost no safety equipment) you would probably face a lifetime ban.
Some sports have honour codes based on self control. NHL have an honour code based on fighting the opponents and to make retaliation attacks against those that harmed on from our team (even if they did do it legally within the rules!).
I know that professional physical sports sometimes have a higher degree of acceptance towards fighting than amateur non-physical sports, but the bottom-line is that the more dangerous sport tools you carry around (like wooden clubs and razor sharp skates) the more the safety need to really make sure those playing have absolute control over themselves.

Acceptance of fighting is a cultural element, that can easily appear if sanctioned and also easily be removed if they are strictly enforced against. Humans are adaptable.

Depends on the politicians:naughty:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

I think most Danish people at least would be horrified to see politicians physically assault each other (the last one was off course extreme also for Japanese people).

Come on, have you never played a team sport??

Sticking up for your teammates, even if that means getting your ass kicked getting humiliated etc., is essential to any teamsport. Teamspirit is what makes teams great or bad. It is what holds them together when everything else fails and what can bring mediocre players to stardom. Just look at Euro92 as a prime example of what teamspirit can bring you.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

Sticking up for your teammates, even if that means getting your ass kicked getting humiliated etc., is essential to any teamsport. Teamspirit is what makes teams great or bad. It is what holds them together when everything else fails and what can bring mediocre players to stardom. Just look at Euro92 as a prime example of what teamspirit can bring you.

I've played team sports and like in Euro92 we didn't need fighting :)

Re fighting: In hockey I think there's reason to pick up a fight. If you think a hit on one of your teammates is reckless you go make the guy that made the hit know that. I think it has to do with the speed and the surface and danger of the sport that's unlike most other sports. There's a just cause for loosing your temper. On a football pitch for instance it's rare that your team mates general health is at stake.

But most fights in lower league NA-sports that's all about getting the crowd and your team get excited... That's just boring. Nobody cares who wins those fights.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Team spirit can be channelled into a spirit of winning and not a spirit of fighting. One could even argue that fighting takes away the focus of playing your best to win the game and divert it instead to go after the opposing players [with correct refereeing you would end up sitting in the penalty box all the time and most likely lose].

I have actually played many team sports, but never had fights.
Even physical sports with safety equipment like lacrosse, without equipment like handball and non-physical sports but with "dangerous instruments" like field hockey.
For instance in handball you see (and feel yourself) absolutely insane things being done during play, that very rarely results in players fighting. I always shouted angrily at the referee if the opposing player got away with it - he is after all to blame if players get away with infractions. [And I accept here later the cards I got from shouting :laugh:]

Fighting is in my opinion the end-result of sub-standard refereeing (punishment not being hard enough), that allows players to react in a way that seem to have little consequence for their winning chances.
Physical play beyond the rulebook ONLY pays off if the players know that the referee will for instance try to give equal number of penalties to each team, so to diminishing your physical level of play have no benefits and to increase it have no penalties.
Probably why certain teams often win the Stanley Cup and others falter as the acceptance of physical play increases. This is only the result of bad refereeing where they don't even follow their own rulebook.
If I see a game where each team got an equal number of penalties it looks very suspicious. If a referee manage to do this match after match he is clearly under outside influence (= fear of not being considered "fair"). A physical team should probably get 10-20*2 penalties and a non-physical team 0-1*2.
A penalty is a penalty no matter when, where or who. Rules are rules for all alike.
If a world star player makes a penalty in a tense Stanley Cup final 18 min into the third period, it is a penalty, period (failure to call it, is the result of fear of the aftermath from the referee - "oh no what will people say").
We need referees that are "Authorities" out there, that assert themselves as leaders and clearly draws the line - a man like Collina! Then you will get respect also from the players as they know you are immutable and cannot be influenced!
The worst refereeing is where the referee sees the star players as the "authority" (star struck?) and so ignore penalties done by elite players and/or call easy penalties against them -> seems to happen quite often in football with certain players diving left and right constantly complaining they didn't get a penalty. Here the referee should react with authority immediately and stop it, so send the signal that this kind of behavior will only be a huge disadvantage for him and his team.

Diving is for me among the worst kind of unsportsmanlike cheating, that could be sanctioned on the level of doping offenses. I would be disgusted if my team won a match because a team-mate had cheated by diving and to me it says a lot about the mentality of fans that are OK with it; making it even more pathetic when they whine about it being done against them.
Sadly diving seems to have spread from football to become much more prevalent in ice hockey and is beside "head-hunting" something that really needs to be stopped and not "accepted as part of the game".
We saw how doping for decade was "part of the game" in cycling (basically everyone taking amphetamine and cocaine in the 60's and 70's, EPO didn't start it) and how hard and long it is to change a cultural behavior once it has taken root.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Freddy seems to be getting back in form, and seems to have a shot at getting his net back, at least temporary after Gibson is beginning to stumble.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Freddy seems to be getting back in form, and seems to have a shot at getting his net back, at least temporary after Gibson is beginning to stumble.

Yeah he has been grabbing the few chances he got lately!
Frans Nielsen with both an assist and shootout backhand-goal and Lars Eller with an assist as well.
Jannik Hansen has apparently hit a slump lately. Ehlers point streaking of late ended last night.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Another 2 goals for Hansen. :handclap: He is now 5th in the league in combined even strength and shorthanded goals. If he could ever figure out this power play thing, he'd be a superstar in this league. :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Another 2 goals for Hansen. :handclap: He is now 5th in the league in combined even strength and shorthanded goals. If he could ever figure out this power play thing, he'd be a superstar in this league. :laugh:

Jannik Hansen's like a dancefloor after 2 AM... All grind and score. No finesse :laugh:

Would be the first Danish player to hit 30 goals right? Or did Frans do it a couple of years back?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Jannik Hansen's like a dancefloor after 2 AM... All grind and score. No finesse :laugh:

Would be the first Danish player to hit 30 goals right? Or did Frans do it a couple of years back?

30 seems out of reach. Would require an incredible goalscoring pace the rest of the regular season.

Frans' best season goalscoring-wise is 25 goals in 2013-14. Bødker's best total is 19, also in 2013-14... At this pace Jannik could top Frans' Danish goalscoring mark.

Frans is at 16 goals this season, Bødker and Ehlers are at 13...

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
30 seems out of reach. Would require an incredible goalscoring pace the rest of the regular season.

Frans' best season goalscoring-wise is 25 goals in 2013-14. Bødker's best total is 19, also in 2013-14... At this pace Jannik could top Frans' Danish goalscoring mark.

Frans is at 16 goals this season, Bødker and Ehlers are at 13...

Don't know why I thought he was well up in the 20's already. Oh well I guess a hot streak with the Sedins could make it possible.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Arizona has withdrawn their contract offer to Bødker. So, barring a major U-turn, Bødker will be playing for a different team no later than next season. In fact, it would surprise me if he isn't traded before the deadline. This could be a major boost to his career. This season feels like a waste - basically having to wait patiently for this season to be over so he can become an UFA.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Arizona has withdrawn their contract offer to Bødker. So, barring a major U-turn, Bødker will be playing for a different team no later than next season. In fact, it would surprise me if he isn't traded before the deadline. This could be a major boost to his career. This season feels like a waste - basically having to wait patiently for this season to be over so he can become an UFA.

It could also be the final conclusion that Bødker is no more than just a third liner. Where has he been the last 15 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad