Value of: Danault (with extension) to SJ or NYR

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So guys, i heard that NYR are actively seeking a 2nd line center. Also heard that SJ could be another team looking for the same kind of target.

Now, i think the Danault's situation is the same as Pacioretty 2 years ago. Traded with an extension in place with the new team. Altough the difference is Habs probably don't want more future. They want actual roster players to fill needs, which are primarly wingers with size, ideally that can play RW.

So are there deals that can possibly be made between those clubs??

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Can't speak for all Rangers fans but I'm not crazy about trading for Danault. He'll be 29 in the first year of his new deal and is looking to cash-in. We also have Chytil as the hopeful 2C of the future so if Danault is going to start getting grumpy if/when Chytil overtakes him, that's not a great situation.

Nothing against Danault. Solid player. Just not my preferred option.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I didn't really consider NYR as a destination for Danault, but I honestly kind of like it. Very interesting. Likely depends a lot on what $$ he's asking for, NYR wouldn't want to obstruct signing their young core down the road because of 30+ year old Danault.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Can't speak for all Rangers fans but I'm not crazy about trading for Danault. He'll be 29 in the first year of his new deal and is looking to cash-in. We also have Chytil as the hopeful 2C of the future so if Danault is going to start getting grumpy if/when Chytil overtakes him, that's not a great situation.

Nothing against Danault. Solid player. Just not my preferred option.

Agree with this.

From what I heard, Danault doesn't want to be a 3C. So, whether that means he doesn't want to be a 3C or doesn't want to be paid like a 3C, I don't think either fits in with the Rangers plans.

Reactions: slg1963 and Trxjw

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Age and contract-wise, I don't think Danault fits what the Rangers are building. Especially with a young guy in Chytil looking to take the next step

Danault to Rangers could be a fit, but ? is the currency.
Everyone wants our stud bluest blue chips, and we don't have surplus of those, all of whom are needed to help us manage salary cap as existing elcs->rfas and Zib to get $$$.

Methinks best we can stretch it is:
- Lindgren - LD elc our 1st pair w/Fox
- Deangelo - RD who can play left, available due to surplus
- Strome - fine at 4-4.5 next yr or 2, but not a fit long term, we have Morgan Barron arriving by then, if not much sooner.
and
- LD prospect Reunanen

for

Danault + Canadiens 2020 + 2021 2nds

something like that

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
So guys, i heard that NYR are actively seeking a 2nd line center. Also heard that SJ could be another team looking for the same kind of target.

Now, i think the Danault's situation is the same as Pacioretty 2 years ago. Traded with an extension in place with the new team. Altough the difference is Habs probably don't want more future. They want actual roster players to fill needs, which are primarly wingers with size, ideally that can play RW.

To the bolded, the Rangers don't have that give up. And they would be looking for the same.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

He doesn't make any sense for San Jose, who don't have much room under the cap and also already have Couture and Hertl.

Reactions: Groo

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
What would the ask be for Danault?

Hurricane's 1st 2020, Buchnevich and a 3rd for Danault and a 4th?

Maybe make some changes and put some conditions on stuff so that if Buchnevich re-signs and Danault doesn't the Rangers get an extra compensation like a 2nd in 2021?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
He doesn't make any sense for San Jose, who don't have much room under the cap and also already have Couture and Hertl.
I don't know where this center depth narrative for SJ came from, but yeah, Couture and Hertl are fine. That said SJ needs legit forwards, and if Danault where someone who could be reasonably attained, I imagine moving one of them to wing would make the team better, so it would be worth exploring, but there are probably fits out there that are better.

His cap hit next season is only 3m though, which SJ would have no issue with. (14 million for Labanc, 2 defense, a goalie, 2-3 more forwards) An extension could be problematic though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Maybe make some changes and put some conditions on stuff so that if Buchnevich re-signs and Danault doesn't the Rangers get an extra compensation like a 2nd in 2021?

That's an easy no from the Rangers. Buchnevich is equally productive and 2 years younger, and you want us to add a 1st and a 3rd on top of that? You added a 4th coming back though, like that helps lol.

Reactions: Kupo and UnSandvich

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I don't know where this center depth narrative for SJ came from, but yeah, Couture and Hertl are fine. That said SJ needs legit forwards, and if Danault where someone who could be reasonably attained, I imagine moving one of them to wing would make the team better, so it would be worth exploring, but there are probably fits out there that are better.

His cap hit next season is only 3m though, which SJ would have no issue with. (14 million for Labanc, 2 defense, a goalie, 2-3 more forwards) An extension could be problematic though.
Who do you think Habs fans are going to want back in return? He's a 3C here, How much are you willing to pay?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
That's an easy no from the Rangers. Buchnevich is equally productive and 2 years younger, and you want us to add a 1st and a 3rd on top of that? You added a 4th coming back though, like that helps lol.

If the basis of your value on Danault is his offensive production then it is best you don't ask or comment about his value any more :sarcasm:

Danault is one of the best shutdown two-way centers in the NHL, his offensive production is not why you want him; and he is significantly more valuable than even Domi (assuming contracts were even).

You could put a player like Kakko on his wing, and Danault will soak up all the defensive responsibilities and make Kakko just better inherently by not having to worry about backchecking as much.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
How many teams actually pull off the trade + extension? Patches didn't want to extend with LA. Stone would not talk extension with any other team. NYI did this with Pageau but he knew his value was at its highest.

Danault would be a hot commodity as a UFA next offseason.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
How many teams actually pull off the trade + extension? Patches didn't want to extend with LA. Stone would not talk extension with any other team.

Danault would be a hot commodity as a UFA next offseason.

Very fair point, but there is no doubt that if there is a GM who will go find a trade/sign it is Bergevin. If Danault is not in our plans in the future, the one thing Bergevin is good for is ensuring he gets maximum value out of his assets (Subban/Weber is the one outlier to this rule at the time, but he wanted PLD so I think Weber was the best offer out there at the time)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I thought Danault wants top line minutes? If that's the case, he's going to settle for a 2c role with NYR. I see them swapping Chytil and Danault through-out the year depending on line chemistry and the need to provide more offense, so I can't see NYR giving up the pieces Montreal would want for Danault coming with an extension. Danault probably wouldn't be happy in that role with us. We're short on RW.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So here's the thing...
Since the Rangers wrote "the letter" they don't have a ton of veterans anymore. Everyone is either A) Old and expensive (Hank, Staal, Smith)
B)Beloved Star (Mika, Panarin, Kreider) Or C) Viewed as part of "the Future" (Everyone else plus prospects) which as we all know, are THE MOST PRECIOUSLY VALUED OF ALL on this board.
Because of this, you can't make a hockey proposal here. Just not allowed. Not even really possible. You will never get a positive reaction. Ever.

Reactions: Tanknation

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Wait, you think we're giving that up with the chance of Danault not re-sgining?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

I am not sure what center depth narrative you're talking about. Couture and Hertl are 1C and 2C in whichever order you prefer. Danault is not better than either of them. So he would be a 3C on the Sharks. The Sharks are also not going to push Thornton, the greatest player in franchise history, out the door. Add to that the Sharks poor farm system and lack of draft capital and it just seems like a bad fit.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Wait, you think we're giving that up with the chance of Danault not re-sgining?

If Buch re-signs and Danault doesn't, Habs add a pick.

If Buch re-signs and Danault gets traded, Habs add a lesser pick

If Buch re-signs and Danault re-signs, nobody adds anything.

Obviously a 1st and RFA Buch who re-signs for 1 year of Danault is a lot; so Montreal would add things back to compensate. Danault is still worth a 1st + at the TDL as a rental, so the value isn't that far off if the Habs add.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Who do you think Habs fans are going to want back in return? He's a 3C here, How much are you willing to pay?
I'm not great at these theoretical equivalencies, but yeah it would probably be difficult. Mainly, in terms of NHL players, Montreal wants wingers, and we would be attaining him so we can move other centers to wing, so trading wingers would defeat the purpose. Maybe Labanc would be workable, but I don't think he is the type of guy Montreal wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad