Value of: Danault (with extension) to SJ or NYR

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I am not sure what center depth narrative you're talking about. Couture and Hertl are 1C and 2C in whichever order you prefer. Danault is not better than either of them. So he would be a 3C on the Sharks. The Sharks are also not going to push Thornton, the greatest player in franchise history, out the door. Add to that the Sharks poor farm system and lack of draft capital and it just seems like a bad fit.
I agree it doesn't make sense, but I have read it a number of places, and I get the impression that the OP thought that as well.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm not great at these theoretical equivalencies, but yeah it would probably be difficult. Mainly, in terms of NHL players, Montreal wants wingers, and we would be attaining him so we can move other centers to wing, so trading wingers would defeat the purpose. Maybe Labanc would be workable, but I don't think he is the type of guy Montreal wants.
I agree that it make little sense to pay a premium only to re-shuffle the deck chairs so to speak
I also doubt Lebanc is who they'd demand back

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hurricane's 1st 2020, Buchnevich and a 3rd for Danault and a 4th?

Maybe make some changes and put some conditions on stuff so that if Buchnevich re-signs and Danault doesn't the Rangers get an extra compensation like a 2nd in 2021?

Very bad for NYR. Easy pass.

Honestly, don’t see a fit between NYR and MTL for Danault who probably wants a long term deal into his mid 30s. Buch is younger and plays on NYRs top line. Plus a 1st? No thanks.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If the basis of your value on Danault is his offensive production then it is best you don't ask or comment about his value any more :sarcasm:

Danault is one of the best shutdown two-way centers in the NHL, his offensive production is not why you want him; and he is significantly more valuable than even Domi (assuming contracts were even).

You could put a player like Kakko on his wing, and Danault will soak up all the defensive responsibilities and make Kakko just better inherently by not having to worry about backchecking as much.
Who's carrying the puck up since that's an area of weakness for Kakko? You want more production out of your top 6, so if Danault is going to be a 2c and paid like one, you need more than just defensive responsibilities. For an extension to work, he will want to be paid and have a guaranteed top 6 position. We all know Danault is a good player to have on the rink. With that said, it's not like Danault can't produce on the score sheet, but if he's truly unhappy with his current position and wants to be paid and given more minutes like a higher tier center, I don't think the value coming back to Montreal will match that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Very fair point, but there is no doubt that if there is a GM who will go find a trade/sign it is Bergevin. If Danault is not in our plans in the future, the one thing Bergevin is good for is ensuring he gets maximum value out of his assets (Subban/Weber is the one outlier to this rule at the time, but he wanted PLD so I think Weber was the best offer out there at the time)

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Wilson gave up significant assets for Danault.

Reactions: Mackiaveli

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Buch is younger and plays on NYRs top line. Plus a 1st? No thanks.

I understand the rest of it, but this point is kind of moot.

Danault is our 1C, and constantly shuts down franchise quality players (Matthews, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Eichel, Barkov)

Buchnevich plays on your first line (could be replaced by Kakko)

Neither of them would play on the top line of their new team; so its kind of moot. Being on your 1st line doesn't make Buch inherently more valuable; you guys just have really bad RW depth.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If the basis of your value on Danault is his offensive production then it is best you don't ask or comment about his value any more :sarcasm:

Danault is one of the best shutdown two-way centers in the NHL, his offensive production is not why you want him; and he is significantly more valuable than even Domi (assuming contracts were even).

You could put a player like Kakko on his wing, and Danault will soak up all the defensive responsibilities and make Kakko just better inherently by not having to worry about backchecking as much.

I know Danault is a good defensive player. He's also 1 year away from being a UFA. The difference between him and Buchnevich isn't a 1st and a 3rd.

Reactions: Kupo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would definitely acquire Danault for the Sharks and move Couture to wing but we don't have the available pieces to fill the need described. That would basically be Meier, Hertl if moved to RW which he could, or Kane who does play it in the flow of play sometimes but is mostly an LW. Those guys simply aren't available from the Sharks at this time.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
If Buch re-signs and Danault doesn't, Habs add a pick.

If Buch re-signs and Danault gets traded, Habs add a lesser pick

If Buch re-signs and Danault re-signs, nobody adds anything.

Obviously a 1st and RFA Buch who re-signs for 1 year of Danault is a lot; so Montreal would add things back to compensate. Danault is still worth a 1st + at the TDL as a rental, so the value isn't that far off if the Habs add.
The CBA now forbids any trades where draft picks are exchanged for signing considerations.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Danault is our 1C, and constantly shuts down franchise quality players (Matthews, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Eichel, Barkov)

Neither of them would play on the top line of their new team; so its kind of moot. Being on your 1st line doesn't make Buch inherently more valuable; you guys just have really bad RW depth.

So trade from poor RW depth? It may not make him more valuable to MTL but it makes him more valuable to NYR since he’s a big part of their top line. I’m actually not a huge Buch fan, and I still think is poor value. Danault is an improvement as a 2C or 3C but I don’t want to give him his rich next contract and I’d be paying a premium to do it. Strome has great chemistry with Panarin so better off staying with that until Chytil hopefully takes over.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
So trade from poor RW depth?

Danault replaces Strome, and then you sign Dadonov to replace Buchnevich.

Danault is a PERFECT player for Seattle; they would probably pay New York a mid draft pick to have his rights, which buys Chytil a year. Danault likely ends up being the most valuable center on the market at that time (for Seattle's purposes) so everyone wins.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah not likely he signs any extension, so I would treat the trade as a one year rental and for that im not willing to drop anything significant. The sharks arent really struggling with forwards who play defense, we need more offense.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The Danault trade talk is certainly the dumbest rumor of the summer. Once the Habs trade him, they will automatically be in need of a good 2 way center who can play hard minutes against the top lines, and who can play top 6 in case KK and Suzuki are not ready.

Well, Danault is exactly that, so trading him would be pointless, unless we are in full rebuild mode. Which we aren't. Or unless we are tight against the cap. Which we aren't.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Adding Danault to team teal, as a one year rent to own, makes some sense. He would be a top five fwd for us, much needed. His defense is great, and we will need that to compete. We just don't have the pieces the OP wants, which goes triple if he were already signed to an extension.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Can't speak for all Rangers fans but I'm not crazy about trading for Danault. He'll be 29 in the first year of his new deal and is looking to cash-in. We also have Chytil as the hopeful 2C of the future so if Danault is going to start getting grumpy if/when Chytil overtakes him, that's not a great situation.

Nothing against Danault. Solid player. Just not my preferred option.

Totally fair but chytil is nowhere close to danault. Its gonna take him 2-3 years to overtake him imo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hurricane's 1st 2020, Buchnevich and a 3rd for Danault and a 4th?

Maybe make some changes and put some conditions on stuff so that if Buchnevich re-signs and Danault doesn't the Rangers get an extra compensation like a 2nd in 2021?

Way too much. A straight up deal of Danault with a good extension for Buchnevich is something to consider, but I’m not even sure I’d do it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Buchnevich would be your best winger.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Danault is a PERFECT player for Seattle; they would probably pay New York a mid draft pick to have his rights, which buys Chytil a year. Danault likely ends up being the most valuable center on the market at that time (for Seattle's purposes) so everyone wins.
So you figure the best course of action for the Rangers is to - 1. Trade for Danault, give up Buch, 1st, +
2. Sign Dadonov, 31 - for whatever a free agent contract costs ($5, $5+) to replace Buch, 25 ($3.25) then RFA control
3. After 1 season trade Danault's UFA rights to Seattle for a mid round pick
4. 1 year after trade you have no Buch, no Danault, no 2020 first round pick, a 32 year old winger for the rebuild and a mid round pick from Seattle.

This is a well thought out post! Are you an actual NHL GM with a HF account.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You’ve lost the plot. Now we are signing Dadonov, as well? There’s this thing called the salary cap. No thanks to the offer. We’ll keep our players then.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
For those of you unfamiliar with Buchnevich, or who don't watch the Rangers and think he might be getting carried by his linemates:

5v5 Stats, per Natural Stat Trick
CF%FF%SF%GF%xGF%SCF%HDCF%HDGF%
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich52.82%54.24%55.07%64.29%53.79%57.94%54.17%63.16%
Kreider-Zibanejad-Other51.06%50.38%52.24%47.62%39.92%47.98%41.25%42.86%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Kupo

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Can't speak for all Rangers fans but I'm not crazy about trading for Danault. He'll be 29 in the first year of his new deal and is looking to cash-in. We also have Chytil as the hopeful 2C of the future so if Danault is going to start getting grumpy if/when Chytil overtakes him, that's not a great situation.

Nothing against Danault. Solid player. Just not my preferred option.

I would have no interest in Danault. If the Rangers trade for a second center he should be 21-24 so he can grow with Kakko and Lafreniere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad