Value of: Danault (with extension) to SJ or NYR

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean.... they do happen..... it's not some magic that WE fans invented, it happens......

Hockey's version of it is more the trade & sign but I think it's merely semantics. The process is though that the teams work out a trade then the acquiring team talks to the player about a new contract and if he comes to terms or they're at a point the team is okay with processing the deal, they will complete the deal. So that being the case, the team trading the player, will not get true signing value out of the trade. They're trading an expiring or a one year left player rather than a signed player. It's a distinction worth noting when gauging trade value.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I mean.... they do happen..... it's not some magic that WE fans invented, it happens......

OS also technically happen......but are uncommon. GM’s & players simply don’t do it often.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don't think "with extension" improves the value of a rental as much as HF thinks it does. The fact is, even if the player is willing to negotiate an extension in principal before the trade, the trading team is still only trading away 1 year. Because if that player is willing to negotiate an extension now, he'll be willing to talk to this team in 12 months when he's a UFA. The acquiring team may pay a bit more because of the certainty, but the trading team does not have a tremendous amount of leverage.

Stone, Pacioretty, were both reported to have discussed extensions beforehand and signed shortly after being traded. They both returned futures, typical of high end rentals. They returned good futures packages, yes, but futures packages nonetheless. (and yes I understand Pacioretty did return Tatar, who has become a key roster player for them, but at the time he was basically a throw away for Vegas).

I don't really recall the last time a player with one year left was traded in a pure "hockey trade" (unless the player coming back also had only one year, like Staal/Johansson)/

Reactions: Hunter368

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Move either to wing.

SJ has a big problem in their top 6. This helps. Whether they have the assets for it is a different question.
The question is not wether we have the assets, its if this is what we want to spend it on. Its like a kid in a toy store that gets one toy, you dont always want to pick the one at the front of the shop because you miss out on better ones.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
He’ll be a 28 UFA after next season looking for 7+ years. That doesn’t fit what Gorton has been building here in NY.
Exactly the same 1993 year as your #1 center. Both 27 years old. idk but imo it would fit amazingly

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes, career high 21G/46 points Buchnevich would be better than 60+ point Tatar and 30 goal Gallagher

Thats misleading. Buchnevich has never had a top 6 role before this season. This season he was on pace for 55 points. He doesn't play PP1, has consistently had great analytics throughout his career, and has consistently scored at a very high rate for the minutes he gets.

Tatar and Gallagher are nothing great. Gallagher is a career 50 point per 82 game guy, Tatar is a career 49 point per 82 game guy. Their numbers are a little inflated in recent seasons because they are first line, PP1, big minutes guys for Montreal due to their lack of depth. Buchnevich is also a career 49 point per 82 game guy, but unlike those others, has had much less of an opportunity to play a big role. There's no reason to believe he'd fare any worse than those guys as a top line winger for the Habs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The question is not wether we have the assets, its if this is what we want to spend it on. Its like a kid in a toy store that gets one toy, you dont always want to pick the one at the front of the shop because you miss out on better ones.

If the ask is a top six winger, it does nothing to help us. That's what it sounds like in this thread. Danault would be a fantastic player to have but we don't have available what Montreal would seemingly want so we'll likely have to look elsewhere. The most likely scenario for the Sharks is to pick off a top six forward at the expense of a draft pick mostly or sign one overpriced in the free agent market. There's only a long shot that we'd trade something else to get that sort of a player and we'd be looking at Burns to do it.

Reactions: themelkman

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’ll be a 28 UFA after next season looking for 7+ years. That doesn’t fit what Gorton has been building here in NY.

If he wants a reasonable ask, I don't see why he doesn't fit our window. If his ask is ridiculous, I agree. He's not that good that with a bad contract it'd make sense to trade for him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If he wants a reasonable ask, I don't see why he doesn't fit our window. If his ask is ridiculous, I agree. He's not that good that with a bad contract it'd make sense to trade for him.
He’s already stated he’s not happy in a 3C role. He sees himself as a top-6 Center.

I think you’re looking into the 5.5-6M territory which I dislike over the next 7 years. I’d rather re-up on Strome for a year or two and groom Chytil than move assets for Danault and sign him to that kind of contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s already stated he’s not happy in a 3C role. He sees himself as a top-6 Center.

I think you’re looking into the 5.5-6M territory which I dislike over the next 7 years. I’d rather re-up on Strome for a year or two and groom Chytil than move assets for Danault and sign him to that kind of contract.

I think Danault is a 2C. If he's looking for the same as Strome, I'm taking Danault.

I'm not against giving Chytil a chance as the 2C. What I don't want is to go much longer with Strome as the 2C. He's not a long-term solution. We need to start finding the solution at 2C immediately rather than punting it down the road.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I know Lafreniere speaks english just fine, but it would be nice for him to have a veteran from his province (also french speaker) with him for his first few seasons. When you have such a promising superstar, all the little details like this matter and it would give him someone with familiarity. Going from a small city in Quebec to New York City at 19 is hard for a kid.

I don't know what the Rangers can offer, but I'd be looking for a return similar to what they got for Stepan.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I know Lafreniere speaks english just fine, but it would be nice for him to have a veteran from his province (also french speaker) with him for his first few seasons. When you have such a promising superstar, all the little details like this matter and it would give him someone with familiarity. Going from a small city in Quebec to New York City at 19 is hard for a kid.

I don't know what the Rangers can offer, but I'd be looking for a return similar to what they got for Stepan.
Stepan was signed when he was traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad