Salary Cap: Danault and Armia in arbitration

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
In what world is Danault NOT worth 3.5M$, exactly?

Boone Jenner only got 3.75M and he's got 30 goal season. Danault is coming off 25 points and concussions he still hasn't shown to have gotten over. Yes he has 40 point season but the risk is way too high to sign him 3.5 long term. If he gets 3.5M, it better be for 1 year IMO.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Danault is negotiating from a position of strength. We have no centers so of course he is going to ask for more than above market value.
Unfortunately for him he'll be compared in arbitration to deals other centers are signing. His most direct comparable would be Lars Eller who makes 3.5 as a better player and signed as an UFA. As an RFA Danault would get less.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Boone Jenner only got 3.75M and he's got 30 goal season. Danault is coming off 25 points and concussions he still hasn't shown to have gotten over. Yes he has 40 point season but the risk is way too high to sign him 3.5 long term. If he gets 3.5M, it better be for 1 year IMO.

Danault at 3.5 for 1yr is ... an overpayment.

I think Danault will, and probably should, end up with a deal similar to Bryan Rust. They aren't the same player, but one of them is a Center on a team that's lacking in centers.

Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
One of them is a Center, the other isn't.

Besides, 3.5mil implies a long-term deal and "eating" some UFA years. Domi is nowhere as close to UFA years and his deal doesn't "eat" any.

If you prefer.....
Riley Nash, he was a center and UFA and just came out of a 41pts season as a real 3rd line center....got $2.75M a year.
Derek Ryan produce just as much as Danault over the last 2 season, he's a center and UFA and sign for $3.125M a year

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Danault isn't worth a penny over 2.3, he can gtfo if he doesn't like it. Enjoy the rebuild boys!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Danault at 3.5 for 1yr is ... an overpayment.

I think Danault will, and probably should, end up with a deal similar to Bryan Rust. They aren't the same player, but one of them is a Center on a team that's lacking in centers.
Rust is coming off 38 points season. 3.5 with term is a high risk IMO. He just came off a season hampered with concussions and 25 points, what benefit is there to give him term? Not like we need him on a longterm sweetheart deal to contend. If he comes back this season healthy, produces 40+ points give him term. We don't need another Shaw. There's enough injury prone players on this roster taking up large amount of cap.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
He is a third liner in the league. In montral he is a top 6 center....lol. Good on him to try to extract as much as he can.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Some of you will be very disappointed with your "not a penny more than" talk though. Danault is a good, valuable player and will get paid like one. Hertl is a good comparison to use for Danault, IMO, and he got about 5M a year.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Some of you will be very disappointed with your "not a penny more than" talk though. Danault is a good, valuable player and will get paid like one. Hertl is a good comparison to use for Danault, IMO, and he got about 5M a year.

Hertl??? Danault can't hold Hertl's jock imo...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Similar numbers, similar age. Danault has the leverage.

Hertl has better numbers by 20% , is one hockey year younger but has also produced in the playoffs recently. Danault isn't chopped liver but also isn't worth over 4M yet , especially with his injury concerns.

Danault shouldn't get anything more then 3.5-3.75(imo).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
people are throwing out numbers but they need to put them in context. He's not going from 950K to 4 or 5M if you are just buying RFA years, but if you are buying UFA years it all depends on how many you are buying in terms of how much he's going to get paid. So if it's a 2 year deal it's going to be a good bit less then if it's a 4 or 5 year deal in terms of cap hit since you would be buying 2-3 years of UFA.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Danault isn't proven like Shaw was.
He has 1 season with over 30 points.
Shaw, on the other hand, had 5 good nhl seasons. He also had 2 stanley cups and was a playoff performer. He played almost twice the number of nhl games Danault did.

My guess would be Danault signs for around 3 mil.
Boone Jenner got 3.75 mil. Like it or not, but 30 point players are paid more nowadays due to the expanding cap. Danault could get 3.5 million.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Boone Jenner got 3.75 mil. Like it or not, but 30 point players are paid more nowadays due to the expanding cap. Danault could get 3.5 million.

Either way, the poster I quoted was talking about Danault getting paid 2nd line center money. 3.5 or 3.75 mil isn't that.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Sign him for 2 to 3 years max. There should be no room for him on this team by then. 3 years 2.75 to 3 million per year.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
With less than 200 nhl game under his belt, I think Danault is still in progression and that he can get to a another level, with the potential to become a smart and fast 50-55 points two way center.

Danault lives a dream every day he wakes up since he is playing for the Habs. He loves it in Montreal and wants to play there more than everything. You keep this kind of player as much as you can.

Without a doubt Bergevin is interested to sign him long term and if he can sign him at something around 3.5m for 5-6 years, I'm confident it will quicky become an excellent deal.

Reactions: dralaf

WG

Sep 9, 2008
With less than 200 nhl game under his belt, I think Danault is still in progression and that he can get to a another level, with the potential to become a smart and fast 50-55 points two way center.

Danault lives a dream every day he wakes up since he is playing for the Habs. He loves it in Montreal and wants to play there more than everything. You keep this kind of player as much as you can.

Without a doubt Bergevin is interested to sign him long term and if he can sign him at something around 3.5m for 5-6 years, I'm confident it will quicky become an excellent deal.
Given the Chicago pedigree, Bergy was there when he was drafted blah blah blah I am surprised that Danault hasn't already gotten the Shawzie Special 6 X 4M by now. I think 4 years at 3M is about as far as I'd go.

Perhaps Bergy will come out and state we don't really know enough about the player and offer a lowball contract, then the press can compare him to Del Zotto or something. But I doubt it. And I apparently don't see what you see in Danault, I don't see a 50-55 point player, especially if he goes to his correct chair at 3C he's about a 35 point guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad