Dan Tencer Dismissed from 630 Ched

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Off air character aside, the guy was a complete tool on the radio.

As for media guys who are likeablein this city. It begins and ends with Rob Tychkowski or whatever his name is from the Sun.

Guy is not afraid to rip the team/management/owners and is genuinely hilarious on twitter and in his articles.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
First off, I doubt that being on the radio pays well at all, it's certainly not something that most people aspire to. Secondly money and career status mean nothing if you're not happy.

Well it certainly wouldn't be enough to make a guy rich I don't think, I don't think a radio hockey analyst would be paid poorly either. And while I agree that happiness is most important, to some people, being successful in their career is a key to happiness. To assume that he isn't happy without even knowing the guy is a bit of a stretch.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
First off, I doubt that being on the radio pays well at all, it's certainly not something that most people aspire to. Secondly money and career status mean nothing if you're not happy.

In fact, radio pays quite well, especially for the bigger names around the city (morning shows), and when you consider the bonuses and relatively short hours, it's a very desirable job.

That's not what happened. It wasn't amicable.

This.

However, when I met Tencer this summer he was a very nice guy and I wish him only the best of luck.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Well it certainly wouldn't be enough to make a guy rich I don't think, I don't think a radio hockey analyst would be paid poorly either. And while I agree that happiness is most important, to some people, being successful in their career is a key to happiness. To assume that he isn't happy without even knowing the guy is a bit of a stretch.

I never made that assumption. Don't know how you read that into what I wrote at all.
Also I know a lot of guys working in Fort Mac who are very well off, and miserable sobs.
I really wouldn't think that there was much money in radio, but I am completely uninformed on the subject. I do know though that there isn't much money in being a WHL scout.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Off air character aside, the guy was a complete tool on the radio.

As for media guys who are likeablein this city. It begins and ends with Rob Tychkowski or whatever his name is from the Sun.

Guy is not afraid to rip the team/management/owners and is genuinely hilarious on twitter and in his articles.

Agreed. His articles are usually spot on and he's very good at it. Only reason I ever wander over to The Sun to read anytihng.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
In fact, radio pays quite well, especially for the bigger names around the city (morning shows), and when you consider the bonuses and relatively short hours, it's a very desirable job.
This is an extremely misinformed opinion (made worse by the use of "In fact"). You'll get a few morning jocks or high profile "brand" types, and commission sales staff who make good money, but that's about it. The rest get dirt wages and take it like a champ, or else they'll get replaced by some squeaky voiced kid fresh out of school who's willing to live the dream on near poverty line pay. Every semester, schools crank out dozens of these low-on-talent/high-on-enthusiasm wannabes who will take anything to get their feet in the door, and the pay scale goes down with every fresh crop.

And the hours...I'll assume you're referring to on-air staff. The shift doesn't begin from the time they flick on the mic to when they hand off to Randy Radio's Afternoon Rockathon. There is pre-show and post-show prep, voicing for commercials and promos, internal meetings, client meetings, promotional appearances, etc. And in the case of many lean running companies, a lot of these people have additional tasks within the company (i.e. producing, writing, promotions).

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This is an extremely misinformed opinion (made worse by the use of "In fact"). You'll get a few morning jocks or high profile "brand" types, and commission sales staff who make good money, but that's about it. The rest get dirt wages and take it like a champ, or else they'll get replaced by some squeaky voiced kid fresh out of school who's willing to live the dream on near poverty line pay. Every semester, schools crank out dozens of these low-on-talent/high-on-enthusiasm wannabes who will take anything to get their feet in the door, and the pay scale goes down with every fresh crop.

And the hours...I'll assume you're referring to on-air staff. The shift doesn't begin from the time they flick on the mic to when they hand off to Randy Radio's Afternoon Rockathon. There is pre-show and post-show prep, voicing for commercials and promos, internal meetings, client meetings, promotional appearances, etc. And in the case of many lean running companies, a lot of these people have additional tasks within the company (i.e. producing, writing, promotions).

Ha, no kidding. I had a friend in radio who was paid a pittance. His fiancé (now his wife) who was a teacher supported him because he made so little money. They lived in different cities. The stars do well, most do not.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Ha, no kidding. I had a friend in radio who was paid a pittance. His fiancé (now his wife) who was a teacher supported him because he made so little money. They lived in different cities. The stars do well, most do not.

What's the difference between a radio DJ and two large pizzas?

Two large pizzas can feed a family of four. :laugh:

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
I liked Tencer.

Creating drama is a media guy's job. Sometimes they get under your skin.

He'll show up somewhere again. He has too much talent.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
I am not sure why we have a thread on here full of speculation about why a private citizen was terminated from his job that had absolutely nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers.

We need to collectively grow up and this thread needs to be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SchultzSquared*

I am not sure why we have a thread on here full of speculation about why a private citizen was terminated from his job that had absolutely nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers.

Dan bored in forced retirement I see...

sync

BECAUSE...REASONS!!!
Aug 1, 2007

Remotes! :yo:

i didn't even work a year before I left the industry.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey

Thanks for chiming in, Daniel.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

1) The person in question was a big part of the Oiler media culture for a number of years.
2) There is a feeling that a person should be held accountable for how they conduct themselves, how they act and how they interact with the public in relation to the hockey team.
3) The person in question hardly every showed any level of maturity and one could have said that they should 'grow up' almost every single time they were on air or commenting on the team in question.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
As much as i respect grose, he is just boring and safe. there are no hard hitting topics, no topics that require an opinion. thank got for podcasts because i can tune into the interviews i want to hear, but even then its a softball interview. ched has taken a major step back and i dont see them recovering anytime soon

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 33s33 seconds ago
1st star of the game was @TomGazzola for all the pictures he took with fans in the intermission. #RockStar #InHisOwnMind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad