Dan Tencer Dismissed from 630 Ched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah I don't get it either. Its taking it too far. At worst Tencer is no more than from the Bryan Hall school of broadcasting and online radio.
One of his developed shticks, and that he's probably told to do more often is being intentionally catty, rude as people say, and dismissive.

The Complaining about this is like people dialing up Howard Stern and then *****ing that there was an offensive comment.

Or like reading all my posts and complaining about the user experience.:p:

Hate to tell you this, but I was complaining about the user experience after reading just one of your posts.

:naughty:

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
after a couple shows without tencer, i find my interest in the morning show fading fast. its has been so vanilla with nothing really concrete. i appreciate the grose is doing his best but it is missing something. ched no longer has a young radio host that i can relate to (im 26) and i feel its going to lose a lot of its younger listeners with this move

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
after a couple shows without tencer, i find my interest in the morning show fading fast. its has been so vanilla with nothing really concrete. i appreciate the grose is doing his best but it is missing something. ched no longer has a young radio host that i can relate to (im 26) and i feel its going to lose a lot of its younger listeners with this move

I doubt they have that many younger listeners to lose. Young people don't listen to talk radio.

dobiezeke*

Yeah I don't get it either. Its taking it too far. At worst Tencer is no more than from the Bryan Hall school of broadcasting and online radio.
One of his developed shticks, and that he's probably told to do more often is being intentionally catty, rude as people say, and dismissive.

The Complaining about this is like people dialing up Howard Stern and then *****ing that there was an offensive comment.

Or like reading all my posts and complaining about the user experience.:p:

As you stated Tencer's schtick was to be antagonistic - he revelled in that role much like Stern. He looked for people to disagree with his comments.

The problem for him was in the past year he was no longer providing anything significant in his opinions of the Oilers and NHL hockey in general. He appeared to simply be looking to play the "lightening rod" role for negative comments.

In regards to your posts - you are given a pass on your age and senility.:)

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Meh, Tencer was always a little twerp on the radio; easy to dislike. Funny though seeing people talk highly of Gregor in this thread when I consider him just as bad. A know-it-all who cries like a baby when people don't agree with him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Meh, Tencer was always a little twerp on the radio; easy to dislike. Funny though seeing people talk highly of Gregor in this thread when I consider him just as bad. A know-it-all who cries like a baby when people don't agree with him.

I've always kind of liked Tencer for the way he twisted the knife in Gregor during the Heatley saga, it was hilarious.

Gregor is the worst though - all of Tencer's arrogance, backed by less actual hockey knowledge. He's proposed that the Oilers trade a 1st overall pick for an impending UFA, and recently stated that the Oilers have been bad over the last 5 years because there already isn't enough NHL talent in the league(recent anti-expansion article of his), for example.

Hopefully some poorly run Junior team comes knocking at Gregor's door soon too :laugh:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
For my radio sports talk listening I would choose Gregor over Tencer all day every day.

While both are arrogant (not the worst thing in my books) and therefore prone to agitating listeners, Gregor worked his way up from 2nd string producer on John Short's Anysport Anytime webcasts to a prime drivetime slot on TSN 1260 hosting a show that was built on his determination and salesmanship. The guy was given next to nothing along the way. Tencer, on the other hand, was basically handed a prime spot on talk juggernaut 630 CHED's Oilers broadcasts as well as an evening show on non-game nights due to his obvious potential. You can bet that the fact that his youth made him come cheap at first was a huge factor as well. He certainly earned his spot replacing Rutherford but overall the road to that point was a much easier one than what Gregor faced. My personal bias makes me prefer Jason's arrogance over Dan's mostly because my perception is that Gregor did more to earn the right to be that way- if that makes any sense.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Most people dislike Tencer probably because of his age. Since moving to Edmonton I people have referred to him as "that young guy at CHED". I think CHED needs to hire more young people though. It is painful to listen to sometimes.

Overall I don't think Tencer deserves the attacks in this thread.

I don't mind Gregor, but he really is one of the worst interviewers I have listened to. He always asks a question and then says "because..." before the guest has a chance to answer. Just ask your questions and shut up.

I also remember he had Josh Bailey on his show last year. For the first 10 minutes all he did was ask questions about Tavares. It was terrible.

Stauffer - well when I first moved here it was strange because I thought it was crazy that there was a lunch time Oilers show in the first place. Then when I started listening I was blown away by how big of a homer he really is. Now he has grown on me and I accept that he is a cheerleader for the team. He is passionate about the team, which I appreciate. I know he is a homer, but he is tolerable now.

Struds - I agree he is probably the best in town.

I also don't mind Wilkins.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Most people dislike Tencer probably because of his age. Since moving to Edmonton I people have referred to him as "that young guy at CHED". I think CHED needs to hire more young people though. It is painful to listen to sometimes.

Overall I don't think Tencer deserves the attacks in this thread.

I don't mind Gregor, but he really is one of the worst interviewers I have listened to. He always asks a question and then says "because..." before the guest has a chance to answer. Just ask your questions and shut up.

I also remember he had Josh Bailey on his show last year. For the first 10 minutes all he did was ask questions about Tavares. It was terrible.

Stauffer - well when I first moved here it was strange because I thought it was crazy that there was a lunch time Oilers show in the first place. Then when I started listening I was blown away by how big of a homer he really is. Now he has grown on me and I accept that he is a cheerleader for the team. He is passionate about the team, which I appreciate. I know he is a homer, but he is tolerable now.

Struds - I agree he is probably the best in town.

I also don't mind Wilkins.

I sort of liked Tencer sometimes-- but he often grew a bigger ego then he should have because he sufffered what I think Terry Jones or Matthieson called "transference" fame--because he is around people who were actually famous--he assumed it made him as well

Ogopogo*

When Tencer started, I liked him. As he got older he developed an arrogance about him that I found somewhat distasteful. Then, of course, he received some great advice that he could further his career by giving up his sports show and doing the morning show on Ched. Tencer loves sports, you can tell because almost all of his tweets are about sports - it appeared he was prostituting himself to further his career based on poor advice. Apparently the Tencer sports arrogance didn't play well with the morning crowd and he is now looking for work.

Best sports radio show in town? There really isn't one - they all have their flaws. I liked Stauffer in the pre-Oiler days but, he talks too much about US college football and other things I don't care about. Wilkins is decent. Struds is OK. Gregor is full of himself. Neilson and Chase are meh - nowhere near as bad as those idiots Griffiths and Taylor but, they aren't great. Guy Flaming does a good job of the pipeline show. Lowetide is OK. Millard is decent. Nobody really stands out as THE show you must listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
When Tencer started, I liked him. As he got older he developed an arrogance about him that I found somewhat distasteful. Then, of course, he received some great advice that he could further his career by giving up his sports show and doing the morning show on Ched. Tencer loves sports, you can tell because almost all of his tweets are about sports - it appeared he was prostituting himself to further his career based on poor advice. Apparently the Tencer sports arrogance didn't play well with the morning crowd and he is now looking for work.

Best sports radio show in town? There really isn't one - they all have their flaws. I liked Stauffer in the pre-Oiler days but, he talks too much about US college football and other things I don't care about. Wilkins is decent. Struds is OK. Gregor is full of himself. Neilson and Chase are meh - nowhere near as bad as those idiots Griffiths and Taylor but, they aren't great. Guy Flaming does a good job of the pipeline show. Lowetide is OK. Millard is decent. Nobody really stands out as THE show you must listen to.

To you that is.

For those who care about it this topic is never-ending because it is so subjective.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
As an 18 year old who listens to too much talk radio here's my take.

Tencer was a guy you either love or hate. He came across as arrogant quite frequently, and spoke as though he knew everything there was to know. However, I applaud him for the fact that at 26 (I think) he has achieved a lot more than most people and has made a name for himself. I won't miss him, but I hope he finds a gig soon.

Since were on it I'll go through all the radio hosts.

Stauffer - Love his show, not the biggest fan of him though. I'd say Oilers Now is the best 2 hours of radio per day.

Gregor - Meh. Seems like a good guy, but like most at 1260 the show lacks consistency.

Fraser and Nielson - They have fun, and it's not bad listening to them at times, but most of the time I have to ask myself if this is even a sports show anymore.

Strudwick - Good host for a guy who starts at like 9. Is fairly consistent with content, and when he gets off track he's quick to jump back on topic.

Lowetide - Love the show because it's 80% hockey and he actually mentions and discusses proposals.

Guy and Dean - Provide a show that discusses everything that the other hosts don't.

Bottom line sports radio in Edmonton is a joke for the most part. There is rarely serious and informative discussion like you'd hear in the US.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Message board/internet discourse is likely already the common incubator for new (last 5 - 10 years) media members. Tencer is a perfect example and, in my opinion, this message board is basically Tencer writ large.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sorry, did we ever hear officially what happened with Tencer? Maybe I missed it.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I shouldn't love the fact that someone lost their job but in Tencer's case I can't help but laugh. Always great to see someone with a giant ego get knocked down a peg. Calling himself a celebrity all the time or posting up YouTube videos of making a girl sign a guest book on his vacation and hoping she didn't get offended of all the others who signed it.

I saw him at Starbucks downtown one time, in line behind him - the girl asks his name for the cup like they do for everyone and he was genuinely offended "Umm, I'm Dan Tencer" he says with disdain like she's an idiot for not knowing who he was. What a jackass.

Good riddance.

Last edited:

oilz89*

lol well if some dude came on the radio and said we should trade Schultz for a injury prone out of his prime 35 year old ( i forgot the players name) wouldn't you wanna agree with Gregor as well?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Bottom line sports radio in Edmonton is a joke for the most part. There is rarely serious and informative discussion like you'd hear in the US.

What makes it a joke? It was a joke back in 2002 prior to the launch of TEAM (now TSN) 1260 when Edmonton sports talk radio consisted of Bryan Hall on CHED and a fading John Short sometimes on the radio and sometimes not.

Having recently acquired TuneIn Radio on my phone, I've listened to a fair amount of US local sports talk radio this summer. Let's just say I've been underwhelmed by the quality of programming I've heard in comparison to what we have here.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
What makes it a joke? It was a joke back in 2002 prior to the launch of TEAM (now TSN) 1260 when Edmonton sports talk radio consisted of Bryan Hall on CHED and a fading John Short sometimes on the radio and sometimes not.
This is the truth. Edmonton was an absolute wasteland for sports radio before the Team 1260 launched. They gave us options and forced CHED to raise their game, which they did. It's not a perfect situation, but I somehow doubt we'll ever think it is.

dasivon

Jul 29, 2004
Spruce Grove, AB
When Tencer moved to the morning show I thought it was a short-sighted move. Sure someone likely advised him that it was a career step-up, but when you enjoy what you do (which he seemed to relish in) that sometimes it's best to take that step back and realize how good you have it.

As much as I agree that he has an ego (which hurt him in this case), it also allowed him to move up the ranks fast. But I think some humility might have made him realize how good he had it. And sadly I never saw that from Dan.

I don't mind him on the radio, and I wish him the best. Getting fired is never fun. But I think he somewhat made his own bed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad