Confirmed with Link: Dan Lacroix joins coaching staff, Rob Ramage replaces Brisebois, Mellanby promoted.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Interestingly, Lacroix was the Rangers' "eye on the sky", much like Jodoin is with us. Rarely seen behind the bench.

He was also one of Vigneault's first hires when he got the job in NY, apparently.

(All this according to the Rangers' board thread on his departure)

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Weaver, Gilbert, trading Gorges and trading Briere for PAP show that the Habs likely include advanced analytics in their decision-making process, I'd just like to see different perspectives in the room and Carriere seems the least important guy. Don't forget that they also signed Briere for 4 mil a year, as well as signing Murray and resigning Moen for 4 years. Anybody who understands advanced stats knew those deals wouldn't work out.

I think people are placing to much emphasis on "advanced statistics". Common sense from watching hockey tells me that Maholtra is a god defensive player, I don't need any stats to till me that. The only issue with him is his limited vision.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I won't be surprised if people here are sad our team is promoting goons.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What's lacroix's story? Will he run the PP, PK, defence, offense etc.

I know Gallant was in charge of the PP and Daignault for the PK so can we assume Lacroix will take over Gallant's duties. Was he any good in his previous roles?

So many questions!!??

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I think people are placing to much emphasis on "advanced statistics". Common sense from watching hockey tells me that Maholtra is a god defensive player, I don't need any stats to till me that. The only issue with him is his limited vision.

and that stats would point too him not having problems with his vision, that's the thing about stats you can use them to back up your opinion or change your opinion, no one should be saying they are the end all be all

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
What's lacroix's story? Will he run the PP, PK, defence, offense etc.

I know Gallant was in charge of the PP and Daignault for the PK so can we assume Lacroix will take over Gallant's duties. Was he any good in his previous roles?

So many questions!!??

from what i'm reading on twitter he is a penalty kill "guru"

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Dan Lacroix's Asst Coaching career consisting of 12 seasons, 5 yrs in the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats, the last season with Ted Nolan as head coach. Then 3 yrs. with the NYI's head coach Ted Nolan for two seasons and Al Arbour the 3rd season. In 2009-2010 with Hamilton and head coach Guy Boucher, followed by 3 seasons with Boucher in Tampa Bay. Then as Asst. Coach to Alain Vigneault for NYR's last year. Always Asst.Coach to coaches that instituted puck possession systems, I might add all four Head Coaches he worked with were very successful using these systems. Al Arbour a HOF coach, Ted Nolan, Guy Boucher & Alain Vigneault being great tacticians using the highly entertaining offensive systems while still maintaining solid numbers defensively.

Lacroix's vast experience (12 yrs) using varied puck possession games with these coaches, can only be advantageous to the Habs as they integrate the future star Dmen; Tinordi/Beaulieu/Nygren in their rookie seasons. The addition of PMD's Mike Weaver and Tom Gilbert to the Habs Markov & Subban giving the Habs very good mobility. Also Alexei Emelin will be on his natural side LD, where he's able to use his PMD abilities as he did in the KHL. The Habs offence will be huge, driven by the puck possession game and breakout seasons from Galchenyuk, Eller and newcomers PAP & Sekac. With veteran PWF's Pacioretty & Bourque should thrive also, the UFA signing of Sekac a natural LW can switch with Bourque a natural RW. Bourque showed his form during the playoffs with Eller, reminiscent of his scoring days in Calgary as a RW, PWF.

One cannot underestimate the importance of Lacroix to the Habs successful transition to being a puck possession driven team. As a lifelong Hab fan, I can barely stand the wait for the 2014-2015 season to begin. Hab hockey as it was played in the past, with PMD's, speedy highly skilled forwards forechecking the opposition into turning pucks over and quick strike scoring. Then the Franchise (Carey Price) shutting down the opposition with game winning goaltending. Stanley Cup Championship runs are their destiny within 3 seasons IMHO!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Dan Lacroix's Asst Coaching career ...
Lacroix's vast experience (12 yrs) using varied puck possession games with these coaches, can only be advantageous to the Habs as they integrate the future star Dmen; Tinordi/Beaulieu/Nygren in their rookie seasons. The addition of PMD's ...

I'm optimistic about this season, but you are on another level. Reminds me of my avatar during the Iraq War ;).

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The press release also mentions:

Based on how well he's done as head scout, I'd say he earned that promotion. :handclap:

EDIT: Someone might want to update the thread title to include Timmins name in it.

IIRC, Timmins almost got poached recently by another team, so this my explain it. A way to tell him how important we think he is for this organisation.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
What has Ramage been doing since his playing days? Wasn't he in trouble of some sort, I recall his name in a scandal?

Killed a guy while drunk driving. Spend some time in prison because of it. Check his wikipedia page for the full story.

I'm surprised by the lack of forced outrage. The habs just hired an ex-convict, you would expect some reactions from the lamers. Too obsessed over Subban I guess?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Killed a guy while drunk driving. Spend some time in prison because of it. Check his wikipedia page for the full story.

I'm surprised by the lack of forced outrage. The habs just hired an ex-convict, you would expect some reactions from the lamers. Too obsessed over Subban I guess?

Yeah.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Dan Lacroix's Asst Coaching career consisting of 12 seasons, 5 yrs in the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats, the last season with Ted Nolan as head coach. Then 3 yrs. with the NYI's head coach Ted Nolan for two seasons and Al Arbour the 3rd season. In 2009-2010 with Hamilton and head coach Guy Boucher, followed by 3 seasons with Boucher in Tampa Bay. Then as Asst. Coach to Alain Vigneault for NYR's last year. Always Asst.Coach to coaches that instituted puck possession systems, I might add all four Head Coaches he worked with were very successful using these systems. Al Arbour a HOF coach, Ted Nolan, Guy Boucher & Alain Vigneault being great tacticians using the highly entertaining offensive systems while still maintaining solid numbers def:

Wow, I didn't realize who he worked under, pretty impressive. I really like the hiring now. Who did NYR hire last week to replace him?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The Gilbert signing has Corsi written all over it

Personally, I think the habs use other stats than the ones available on the internet. It's no secret that teams have their own guys recording stats and they have their own stats.

I remember Therrien in a PC talking about quality of scoring chances when trying to describe a game. I think it's probably something they use, or maybe he was just trying to throw off the other team. Who knows..

Either way, the well known advanced stats don't explain some of the decision taken by the staff. So my conclusion is that they have their own stats and use different logic than what is out there.

There was an interesting article on La Presse today regarding advanced stats and there was this part :

Article said:
Motus et bouche cousue chez le CH
Chez le Canadien, le sujet des statistiques avancées n'est pas discuté publiquement, pour cause «d'avantage compétitif», a fait savoir Donald Beauchamp, vice-président principal aux communications du Tricolore.
Pas moyen, donc, de savoir qui parmi les dirigeants de l'équipe supervise cet aspect du jeu ou si le CH a embauché des consultants externes pour y parvenir. «Mais nos dirigeants sont à la page», assure M. Beauchamp.
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...=cyberpresse_B2_actualites_67133_section_POS2

For those who can't read French, they assure fans they're up to date on that stuff but refuse to divulge any information in that regard for "competitive edge" reasons.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Interestingly, Lacroix was the Rangers' "eye on the sky", much like Jodoin is with us. Rarely seen behind the bench.

He was also one of Vigneault's first hires when he got the job in NY, apparently.

(All this according to the Rangers' board thread on his departure)

It's really interesting that a lot of guys are moving sideways in their careers to come with us.

I held the notion that this was not something teams would often do ie let assets leave in sideway moves. You can't get in the way of a promotion but what if a guy wants to leave your team for the same position elsewhere...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Holidays, away from civilization, tv, news, people in general. So yeah I missed that. Too late to boo him a last time I guess.

:shakehead

Brisebois never deserved any booing whatsoever. Says a lot about the kind of person you are when you're still thinking about booing him.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dan Lacroix's Asst Coaching career consisting of 12 seasons, 5 yrs in the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats, the last season with Ted Nolan as head coach. Then 3 yrs. with the NYI's head coach Ted Nolan for two seasons and Al Arbour the 3rd season. In 2009-2010 with Hamilton and head coach Guy Boucher, followed by 3 seasons with Boucher in Tampa Bay. Then as Asst. Coach to Alain Vigneault for NYR's last year. Always Asst.Coach to coaches that instituted puck possession systems, I might add all four Head Coaches he worked with were very successful using these systems. Al Arbour a HOF coach, Ted Nolan, Guy Boucher & Alain Vigneault being great tacticians using the highly entertaining offensive systems while still maintaining solid numbers defensively.

Lacroix's vast experience (12 yrs) using varied puck possession games with these coaches, can only be advantageous to the Habs as they integrate the future star Dmen; Tinordi/Beaulieu/Nygren in their rookie seasons. The addition of PMD's Mike Weaver and Tom Gilbert to the Habs Markov & Subban giving the Habs very good mobility. Also Alexei Emelin will be on his natural side LD, where he's able to use his PMD abilities as he did in the KHL. The Habs offence will be huge, driven by the puck possession game and breakout seasons from Galchenyuk, Eller and newcomers PAP & Sekac. With veteran PWF's Pacioretty & Bourque should thrive also, the UFA signing of Sekac a natural LW can switch with Bourque a natural RW. Bourque showed his form during the playoffs with Eller, reminiscent of his scoring days in Calgary as a RW, PWF.

One cannot underestimate the importance of Lacroix to the Habs successful transition to being a puck possession driven team. As a lifelong Hab fan, I can barely stand the wait for the 2014-2015 season to begin. Hab hockey as it was played in the past, with PMD's, speedy highly skilled forwards forechecking the opposition into turning pucks over and quick strike scoring. Then the Franchise (Carey Price) shutting down the opposition with game winning goaltending. Stanley Cup Championship runs are their destiny within 3 seasons IMHO!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This is enthusiasm backed with arguments and I like it.

Good post. And I don't know if I share your enthusiasm quite as much, but I think you are on the right track with a lot of things you said, and so are the habs by extension.

I can't wait for the season to begin either.

I just wonder what changed in a year. Last summer at the same time we had made all the wrong moves and took a step back in puck possession and added players which were bad fit IMO. But this summer I feel really good about all of our moves. So I have to wonder about what happened last summer.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

I was outraged at first but then I thought maybe he will be running a beyond scared straight type of program for the young hab players

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
:shakehead

Brisebois never deserved any booing whatsoever. Says a lot about the kind of person you are when you're still thinking about booing him.

People didn't like it when he got Josh Gorges money. He became the figurehead for mismanagement and nepotism (and fake aggression). But I think he played a role bigger than what suited him and was great under the circumstances. Always gave his best. Just found out a couple weeks ago I played against him growing up. Didn't know that. He played for Les Norois in Montreal apparently.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
IIRC, Timmins almost got poached recently by another team, so this my explain it. A way to tell him how important we think he is for this organisation.

Can you please provide sources, or hints of where to start an investigation ? Because I have no such recollection. But I could have just missed it.

If true, I'd be glad that MB recognize the importance of Timmins. Regardless of if true or not, I think he does recognize it but I'd still like to know where you got that.

If someone near you had died to a drunk driver you wouldn't be so flippant about it.

That said, I have low moral standards when it comes to that stuff. If the guy is really good at what he does, then I'm glad we hired him regardless of his past. Also, if you make a mistake you deserve a second chance. So there's a moral argument for it probably. ;)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Oh yeah, I looked it up it was ex-Black Hawk Keith Magnuson who was killed not driver of other car. Hope Ramage got this job based on merit and not because he played with Bergevin somewhere along the way and they are buddies who he is trying to help out.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I always enjoy reading your posts. Very educational and positive.

Thank you.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad