Confirmed with Link: Dan Lacroix joins coaching staff, Rob Ramage replaces Brisebois, Mellanby promoted.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Interesting. I'd like it if they replaced a guy like Carriere with a numbers guy, but Lacroix is decent hire.

How do you know Carriere isn't a numbers guy? All teams use analytics; just because some teams are more ostentatious about it (i.e. the Leafs with their hiring of Dubas) doesn't mean they use them any more or will be more successful as a result. In fact if you look at the moves the Habs have made so far this summer, I think you could come to the conclusion that the Habs do use analytics in their decision making a fair bit.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Weird he leaves them after a cup run. Hopefully Lacroix didn't run that awful Rangers powerplay last season, though it would transition well with the Habs powerplay from last season that Gallant supposedly ran.

Rob Ramage is an interesting hire considering his criminal background.

Habs hired him within days of the end of his sentence, too. Weird. MB did play with him, I guess they're friends.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
How do you 'cultivate size'? :laugh:

I just think we have guys and will have guys who play a power game and that there must be tricks of the trade that a guy who has been in that role will know. Our lack of top 6 big men over the years has plagued us. And the big men we have don't ever play big. I have no problem with taking a hit to keep the puck, that's playing big too. But if you are going to beat the big possession teams, seems like you need to have a few guys willing to mix it up.

But you can't ask for more than Scott Mellanby, who was top 6 and a big man who could score. Lapointe too.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
How do you know Carriere isn't a numbers guy? All teams use analytics; just because some teams are more ostentatious about it (i.e. the Leafs with their hiring of Dubas) doesn't mean they use them any more or will be more successful as a result. In fact if you look at the moves the Habs have made so far this summer, I think you could come to the conclusion that the Habs do use analytics in their decision making a fair bit.

The Gilbert signing has Corsi written all over it

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003
Habs hired him within days of the end of his sentence, too. Weird. MB did play with him, I guess they're friends.

Ramage actually played with many current members of the Habs administration. As you said, he played with MB in TB (92-93). He also played with JJ Daigneault with the Habs (92-93, 93-94) and with Shane Churla with the North Stars (91-92)

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
As does Malhotra have advanced stats all over it. (zone starts) Coupled with adding a few skill guys to the blueline (Beaulieu and Gilbert), throwing Malhotra out there for a big draw could be a big deal over the course of a season.

I'm especially glad that we now have 3 solid two-way centers instead of 2 + 2 others that need sheltered minutes

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I completely agree, I just think Carriere is a bit superfluous in the organization.

His background is of a former player and pro scout, the same as Bergevin, Dudley and Mellanby. Bergevin runs the show, Dudley is his right hand guy and voice of experience. I'd just like to see a voice in the room that's different than the incredibly specific background of all the guys in management. Timmins is the only guy who isn't a former NHLer that then went on to scout/work in management.

Its not that I think Carriere is bad at his job, I just think you need different guys in the room that look at the game differently. Carriere might, but I don't think he's ever been described as a numbers guy, in Buffalo or here.

Weaver, Gilbert, trading Gorges and trading Briere for PAP show that the Habs likely include advanced analytics in their decision-making process, I'd just like to see different perspectives in the room and Carriere seems the least important guy. Don't forget that they also signed Briere for 4 mil a year, as well as signing Murray and resigning Moen for 4 years. Anybody who understands advanced stats knew those deals wouldn't work out.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Head Coach Michel Therrien
Asst. Coach Jean-Jacques Daigneault
Asst. Coach Daniel Lacroix
Asst. Coach Clément Jodoin
Goaltending Coach Stéphane Waite
General Manager Marc Bergevin
Asst. General Manager Larry Carrière
Asst. General Manager Scott Mellanby (Promotion), used to be Rick Dudley's job
Conditioning Coach Pierre Allard
Development Coach Rob Ramage
Dir. of Amateur Scouting Trevor Timmins
Dir. of Player Development Martin Lapointe
Dir. of Player Personnel Trevor Timmins (Promotion), used to be Scott Mellanby's job
Ex. VP of Hockey Operations Rick Dudley (Promotion), used to be Marc Bergevin's job
Ex. VP of Hockey Operations Kevin Gilmore

Bergevin continues too astound with all the upward moves and key top drawer signings in the Habs management team. The Ramage signing is truly IMHO a great move, he will complement Martin Lapointe as development coaches, both players exemplify the character type of players the Habs are drafting & recruiting. Prospects now have two coaches that were great teammates & leaders in every aspect as NHLers. The development team Bergevin has in place now, represents the best the Habs have had since Al MacNeil/Claude Ruel were in charge of the Nova Scotia Voyageurs and Sammy Pollock was the Habs GM. I'm absolutely thrilled with all of the moves made today, and Lacroix will surely bring a puck possession oriented team immediately with his background in coaching. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Next up PK Subban signing and Captaincy I hope, truly PK loves being a Hab, heart & soul, not long before the Habs bring home the Stanley Cup parades again!:nod:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I completely agree, I just think Carriere is a bit superfluous in the organization.

His background is of a former player and pro scout, the same as Bergevin, Dudley and Mellanby. Bergevin runs the show, Dudley is his right hand guy and voice of experience. I'd just like to see a voice in the room that's different than the incredibly specific background of all the guys in management. Timmins is the only guy who isn't a former NHLer that then went on to scout/work in management.

Its not that I think Carriere is bad at his job, I just think you need different guys in the room that look at the game differently. Carriere might, but I don't think he's ever been described as a numbers guy, in Buffalo or here.

Weaver, Gilbert, trading Gorges and trading Briere for PAP show that the Habs likely include advanced analytics in their decision-making process, I'd just like to see different perspectives in the room and Carriere seems the least important guy. Don't forget that they also signed Briere for 4 mil a year, as well as signing Murray and resigning Moen for 4 years. Anybody who understands advanced stats knew those deals wouldn't work out.

Briere was signed for his playoff magic, and he provided it. MT probably should have expanded his role in the playoffs, because he's a guy who catches fire, and you can't capture that on paper. It's not always about advanced stats. (same for guys like Bourque, Penner, etc.)

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So the Timmins promotion is basically a raise to keep him around. I'm good with that.

Also love giving people a second opportunity. Happy for Ramage. He was an underrated player.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Still would like to see them hire an old power forward to cultivate some size on this team.

Yeah. Somebody like Scott Mellanby or Martin Lapointe would be good.

I stand corrected.

I just think we have guys and will have guys who play a power game and that there must be tricks of the trade that a guy who has been in that role will know. Our lack of top 6 big men over the years has plagued us. And the big men we have don't ever play big. I have no problem with taking a hit to keep the puck, that's playing big too. But if you are going to beat the big possession teams, seems like you need to have a few guys willing to mix it up.

But you can't ask for more than Scott Mellanby, who was top 6 and a big man who could score. Lapointe too.

Let us not forget former Buffalo Sabres PWF Rick Dudley the newly appointed Vice President and former Asst.GM of the Habs. Bergevin's front office staff is the best in the NHL bar none, people worrying about the Habs big draft choices and free agent signings, weren't staying aware of the wealth of knowledge these players all have, IMHO. Trevor Timmins IMHO is the epitome of talent evaluating and with all of the scouts along with the guys at the top, no team can hope to match the Habs in evaluating talent. It's only a matter of time before their results are made in Stanley Cup Championships, and that's without having the benefits of 3 or 4 Top Ten draft choices. Since Bergevin has been GM the Habs went from last in the Eastern Division to two consecutive playoff teams and a Eastern Final the 2nd season.

When are fans going to start giving credit where credit is due, instead of constantly trying to minimize Bergevin's efforts? Wake up he's been in the voting for executive of the year both years he's been GM in Montreal, voted on by his peers (GM's of NHL teams):nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had forgotten how Dan Lacroix was one of the Rags' coaches who was attending a Habs' practise in NY during the playoffs and was asked to leave. Arpon Basu recounting the incident on 690.

Bottom line, next time the Habs are in NY ... at some point, Lacroix is going to have to leave the building yet again.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
When are fans going to start giving credit where credit is due, instead of constantly trying to minimize Bergevin's efforts? Wake up he's been in the voting for executive of the year both years he's been GM in Montreal, voted on by his peers (GM's of NHL teams):nod:

I think MB has strong support, people are just trying to play GM, which is fun to do.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Ramage actually played with many current members of the Habs administration. As you said, he played with MB in TB (92-93). He also played with JJ Daigneault with the Habs (92-93, 93-94) and with Shane Churla with the North Stars (91-92)

Ramage was a key signing for our last Stanley Cup, his play was integral to the win, also he was integral for the Calgary Flames Stanley Cup in 1989 over the Habs. Ramage was a former #1 OV in 1979 for then Colorado Rockies, always a remarkable teammate even in junior with London Knights. Rob Ramage, Rick Vaive and Mark Napier signed underage with the WHA Birmingham Bulls, the team's moniker the Baby Bulls was a result of those three signing there. As a leader he's been one of the best, mentioned with such leaders as Mark Messier & Jean Beliveau two of the greatest Captains All-Time in hockey annals. Great signing by Bergevin, and a huge positive for the development of Habs prospects.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Had forgotten how Dan Lacroix was one of the Rags' coaches who was attending a Habs' practise in NY during the playoffs and was asked to leave. Arpon Basu recounting the incident on 690.

Bottom line, next time the Habs are in NY ... at some point, Lacroix is going to have to leave the building yet again.

This is akin to adding Vigneault's brain to the team as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad