Dan Girardi or Marc Staal: who should we buy out this off-season?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
With their recent D signings (Berezgalov, Pionk) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers use their 1st round pick to entice another team into taking on one of Girardi or Staal. Then the other is bought out, so both are off the team by next year.

Adding the 1st rounder might be more palatable to the Rangers than having to deal with the cap hit of buying them both out, which would be very difficult to fit. Anyway, here's how it would shake out in my head:

Staal + 1st for a 2nd
Girardi bought out
Sign Smith
Sign Shattenkirk
Trade Klein for peanuts or pay Vegas to take him

Next year:

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Holden - Graves/Pionk/Berezgalov
One of Graves/Pionk/Berezgalov as the 7th

By my calculations, even with the Girardi buyout, that D would cost just as much as this year's D if not less.
So you lost a first round pick and managed to hit the cap for about $15m? Nice.

It is actually a little more incredulous than that. This farm system is in absolute taters and has not had a first round pick in 4 years. And now you want to bribe a team to take Staal by offering them another first round pick?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

It is actually a little more incredulous than that. This farm system is in absolute taters and has not had a first round pick in 4 years. And now you want to bribe a team to take Staal by offering them another first round pick?
Mmmmm taters

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The buy out is just a rumor though - my guess is nothing is set in stone yet until this playoffs is over.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The buy out is just a rumor though - my guess is nothing is set in stone yet until this playoffs is over.

Yeah, I don't think anything is being discussed until they have time after playoffs. Gotta focus on the Cup, even if they might not be contenders.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
SO much is based on whether we can get out from under those Staal and Girardi contracts. Especially Staal.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

From what I could tell the cap was even? But I'm not too great with cap stuff. Let me break it down by numbers:

Sign Shattenkirk: +6.5m
Difference between G current contract and buyout: -2m (it's more savings than that but I'm being conservative)
Trade Staal and Klein: -8m (roughly?)
Sign Smith: +2m as a raise (again, being conservative, I don't think Smith gets a 2m raise)

I don't see how I'm hitting the cap for 15m.. unless you're talking about the long term impact of the buyout for G. Which, idk, seems worth it?

Also with regard to swapping our 1st for a 2nd (hopefully an early 2nd if possible) to get Staal off the team:

1) I think we'd have to drug another GM in order to get them to accept that deal, so I have no idea why you think WE shouldn't do it
2) 100% worth it 8 days a week to get Staal away from AV

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'd rather just buyout both Staal and Girardi than give up assets to move either one them, especially a #1 pick. You still get savings with a buyout if you have players on ELC's replacing both of them.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd rather just buyout both Staal and Girardi than give up assets to move either one them, especially a #1 pick. You still get savings with a buyout if you have players on ELC's replacing both of them.

Can't buyout both, Well they can, but too much dead cap for several years. Would not be a smart move. I would think at this point, just keep one of them, and have that player sheltered on a bottom pairing with limited mins, and in their final year can buy them out. Unless they can find a trade partner for one of them, but like you said will cost them a pick or retained salary.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We should offer Gropp to Vegas for Staal or Girardi at 50 percent and then buy out the other.

I'd even be willing to add a 4th round pick to Gropp if that is what it takes to get it done.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We should offer Gropp to Vegas for Staal or Girardi at 50 percent and then buy out the other.

I'd even be willing to add a 4th round pick to Gropp if that is what it takes to get it done.

I'd go 5th rounder...

Gropp + 5th Rounder to VGK + condition that they accept one of Girardi or Staal at full salary assuming one of them waives their clauses

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I'd go 5th rounder...

Gropp + 5th Rounder to VGK + condition that they accept one of Girardi or Staal at full salary assuming one of them waives their clauses

I'd do this too but I don't think Vegas would.

Is my offer that includes a 1st round pick really that much worse? Essentially if we're getting a 2nd back from VGK it boils down to:

A mid-20s pick + Staal for pick #34

I think I'd prefer to do that over giving up Gropp, and I think it's more palatable for VGK.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Most of the Girardi, Staal, Glass contracts are dead cap space already. Just no one told the coach.

The trick would be avoiding more dead cap space, even in the form of over payment to who plays on the active roster. Something I'm not entirely sure they are capable of anyway.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'd do this too but I don't think Vegas would.

Is my offer that includes a 1st round pick really that much worse? Essentially if we're getting a 2nd back from VGK it boils down to:

A mid-20s pick + Staal for pick #34

I think I'd prefer to do that over giving up Gropp, and I think it's more palatable for VGK.

I'd prefer giving Gropp to a 1st and I think Vegas would too. An almost NHL ready young player is probably more attractive than the player they would get with our late-ish pick that is probably 2-4 years away from NHL play.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Most of the Girardi, Staal, Glass contracts are dead cap space already. Just no one told the coach.

The trick would be avoiding more dead cap space, even in the form of over payment to who plays on the active roster. Something I'm not entirely sure they are capable of anyway.

Trade Stepan to MIN for one of Tuch, Greenway or Eriksson Ek. A small add. I'd love Kaprizov or Kunin but that is probably a reach.

Trade Nash to SJS for Kevin Lebanc and a 1st.

That clears nearly $15 million in cap.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dont really care how they do it, but both Staal and G need to not be on this team next year.

Trade Stepan to MIN for one of Tuch, Greenway or Eriksson Ek. A small add. I'd love Kaprizov or Kunin but that is probably a reach.

Trade Nash to SJS for Kevin Lebanc and a 1st.

That clears nearly $15 million in cap.

Would need much more than just a small add.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I dont really care how they do it, but both Staal and G need to not be on this team next year.

Would need much more than just a small add.

A 2nd? Tuch and Eriksson Ek are going to be really good and would immediately become our top prospect.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trading Stepan for a good, not great prospect (and I like EE) and a 2nd would be the equivalent of giving Staal his current contract.

Unless we're getting an excellent NHL ready prospect (i.e Keller) I'm not really interested in moving Stepan. I suppose you could use him to land a stud defenseman, but even then I'd find another way to make that happen (looking at you Zucc.)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Trading Stepan for a good, not great prospect (and I like EE) and a 2nd would be the equivalent of giving Staal his current contract.

Unless we're getting an excellent NHL ready prospect (i.e Keller) I'm not really interested in moving Stepan. I suppose you could use him to land a stud defenseman, but even then I'd find another way to make that happen (looking at you Zucc.)

We're not getting a Keller level prospect for Stepan. And I don't think we're getting a stud defenseman for him either. Maybe a Dumba.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
From what I could tell the cap was even? But I'm not too great with cap stuff. Let me break it down by numbers:

Sign Shattenkirk: +6.5m
Difference between G current contract and buyout: -2m (it's more savings than that but I'm being conservative)
Trade Staal and Klein: -8m (roughly?)
Sign Smith: +2m as a raise (again, being conservative, I don't think Smith gets a 2m raise)

I don't see how I'm hitting the cap for 15m.. unless you're talking about the long term impact of the buyout for G. Which, idk, seems worth it?
I was using the total prices, not netting out the effects.

I think that the price for Shattenkirk will be no less than $7.5-8. Add on Smith signing for let's say $4.5 that gets you to 12.5. Take the dead cap space hit, and it becomes more, around $17.1. Now subtract Girardi Staal & Klein and you get $2.2 total dead cap space or the net effect. So you need to subtract that from somewhere on the roster. And that escalates by another million dollars the following year.
Also with regard to swapping our 1st for a 2nd (hopefully an early 2nd if possible) to get Staal off the team:

1) I think we'd have to drug another GM in order to get them to accept that deal, so I have no idea why you think WE shouldn't do it
2) 100% worth it 8 days a week to get Staal away from AV
The Rangers have one of the worst farm systems in the entire NHL. They are not in the position to offer #1 picks just so someone can take their players.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'd use Hayes as bait to get someone to take the full Staal or Girardi contract. I would not give up the first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad