Dan Girardi or Marc Staal: who should we buy out this off-season?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I cannot hate on players who bust their ass and play to their fullest capability. Girardi and Staal right now are coaching issues, not player issues.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Girardi's only been on the ice for 4 scoring chances at Even Strength in this series so far despite being on the ice for the most shot attempts of any skater. For comparison, Smith has been on the ice for 7 scoring chances while playing signicantly fewer minutes.

Shot and chance quality obviously exist. I'd easily take Girardi over both Staal and Holden even if the team gives up more shots with him out there.

Girardi is honestly the best option for the top pair. Firmly believe it. I am not saying he isn't a problem and isn't holding the team back but I would not trust any of the other 4 on their off-side playing those heavy minutes with Mc.

And certainly would not take him out for clendenning, klein or kampfer

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Girardi's only been on the ice for 4 scoring chances at Even Strength in this series so far despite being on the ice for the most shot attempts of any skater. For comparison, Smith has been on the ice for 7 scoring chances while playing signicantly fewer minutes.

Shot and chance quality obviously exist. I'd easily take Girardi over both Staal and Holden even if the team gives up more shots with him out there.

Girardi is honestly the best option for the top pair. Firmly believe it. I am not saying he isn't a problem and isn't holding the team back but I would not trust any of the other 4 on their off-side playing those heavy minutes with Mc.

Okay...

He was also directly responsible for the turnover that led to the 1st goal (passing the puck to no one when he had an open lane and a simple pass in front of him) and left pageau uncovered for the tying goal in the 3rd.

What mistakes has smith made that are as egregious as those 2? Staal and Holden have been a ****ing abomination the entire post season, but that doesn't mean G is worthy of playing the minutes hes playing.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Girardi does not likely have magic scoring chance suppressing abilities. It's small sample size noise. If you bleed shot attempts like he does you will also bleed scoring chances over any significant stretch of games.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Okay...

He was also directly responsible for the turnover that led to the 1st goal (passing the puck to no one when he had an open lane and a simple pass in front of him) and left pageau uncovered for the tying goal in the 3rd.

What mistakes has smith made that are as egregious as those 2? Staal and Holden have been a ****ing abomination the entire post season, but that doesn't mean G is worthy of playing the minutes hes playing.

Read what I wrote. I said he's the best option (in my opinion), not that he's doing a good job.

Smith does dumb **** like this. That's just off the top of my head. But this isn't an anomaly in decision making in his game.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Okay...

He had a MUCH better 1st series...

He's come back (drastically) since then to what we are sadly used to seeing from him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Read what I wrote. I said he's the best option (in my opinion), not that he's doing a good job.

Smith does dumb **** like this. That's just off the top of my head. But this isn't an anomaly in decision making in his game.

Thats not nearly as bad as the 2 examples I gave :laugh:

He's not the best option, not even close to it. Hes the worst option on the right side and the 2nd worst if you want to throw Staal there.

Also, Girardi was on ice for a team high 5 High Danger chances against last game.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Thats not nearly as bad as the 2 examples I gave :laugh:

He's not the best option, not even close to it. Hes the worst option on the right side and the 2nd worst if you want to throw Staal there.

Also, Girardi was on ice for a team high 5 High Danger chances against last game.

That's an all situation stat, not a 5v5 stat. Girardi is a top PKer and the team took a ridiculous amount of penalties so obviously that is going to be the case...

Also, yes, what Smith did was far more dangerous. Are you kidding? Standing up at the blue line flat footed on a penalty kill resulting in an odd man rush. That was incredibly stupid.

Pageau's goal was a perimeter shot than Hank needed to stop. Still a dumbass play by Girardi but Smiths mental error led to a much more dangerous chance so youre wrong.

Girardi does not likely have magic scoring chance suppressing abilities. It's small sample size noise. If you bleed shot attempts like he does you will also bleed scoring chances over any significant stretch of games.

A 7 game series is not a siginifcant stretch of games.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's an all situation stat, not a 5v5 stat. Girardi is a top PKer and the team took a ridiculous amount of penalties so obviously that is going to be the case...

Also, yes, what Smith did was far more dangerous. Are you kidding? Standing up at the blue line flat footed on a penalty kill resulting in an odd man rush. That was incredibly stupid.

Pageau's goal was a perimeter shot than Hank needed to stop. Still a dumbass play by Girardi but Smiths mental error led to a much more dangerous chance so youre wrong.

A 7 game series is not a siginifcant stretch of games.

No those numbers are 5v5, not all situation.

And Im sorry, Passing the puck to NO ONE and leaving pageau uncovered is a billion times worse than stepping up and whiffing. At least there is a chance that he could make the play there. That doesn't mean that it was the right play, but again it's better than passing the puck to nobody when you have an easy pass right in front of you. Placing the blame on hank for letting in a shot he should have stopped (which he should have) would be like absolving smith since that puck didn't go in.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
There HAS to be a cap-floor tanking team. Does that still happen? I'd gladly move Girardi and a high pick, as long as they were putting G's money towards a bonafide top pairing D. I'm not ready for a full rebuild until Hank retires.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Staal is so bad he has actually been making Girardi look good these playoffs. Staal MUST GO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad