Rumor: Dan Bylsma reportedly wants to coach in Philadelphia

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Darryl Sutter was a dud in Chicago, San Jose and Calgary. Now he's considered one of the best coaches in the league

I wouldn't say Sutter was a dud in San Jose and Calgary. He brought Calgary out of the abyss before deciding he didn't feel like coaching. He increased his point total every season with the Sharks before he and Lombardi were both fired.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Never liked him as a coach. Over the last few seasons the Pens never adapted and were easily knocked off their game.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
One thing that makes me think twice about hiring Bylsma is the fact that he knows how to win without having an above average defense.

The Pens never had a dominant defenseman during his tenure and they were always struggling with injuries and yet they kept winning.
He must have done something right.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
One thing that makes me think twice about hiring Bylsma is the fact that he knows how to win without having an above average defense.

The Pens never had a dominant defenseman during his tenure and they were always struggling with injuries and yet they kept winning.

Agreed that's one reason I would consider him.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

Winning what?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Never liked him as a coach. Over the last few seasons the Pens never adapted and were easily knocked off their game.

Neither did Lavy. Look at him now. He's probably going to be coach of the year.

You can't condemn him as a bad coach for things that happened in Year 5. A lot of coaches don't even make it to Year 5. Especially in this organization, if you're in Year 5, Years 1-4 were likely very successful. And Year 5 for Bylsma was a Conference Final run, (a year after that series against the Flyers) which the Penguins hadn't seen since Year 1. Bylsma has credentials, with resumé, and is still a younger coach. He would be at the top of the list of guys who should be coaching this team next year.

Winning what?

Hmm, let's not forget 2011 when the Penguins almost ran down the Flyers for the division without both Crosby and Malkin.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think 1-4 is Julien's system. Boucher does the 1-3-1 IIRC. Forget these coaches and go after Babcock which will be a pipe dream.

Julien doesn't run a 1-4. He's actually one of the more aggressive coaches in the league. He relies on his players to play with lane discipline and account for each other all over the ice. Julien's teams look like they're running a bunch of flow drills all over the ice when everyone is clicking.

Boucher ran an 0-5 counter-attacking system. A lot of junior programs use it when they don't have the talent or speed to match other teams on a player to player basis. The media incorrectly labeled it the 1-3-1.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

I think 1-4 is Julien's system. Boucher does the 1-3-1 IIRC. Forget these coaches and go after Babcock which will be a pipe dream.

Boucher didn't even have a forechecker in his system. it was basically a 0-1-2-2 system

But I highly doubt he would still implement that system since it was a failure

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Boucher got away with it the first year. That team was legitimately good. Still though, I'd pass.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I'll pass.

However, it is pretty funny how Bylsma is a scapegoat for how badly some players underachieved on the Pens during his tenure. Also, I feel like the Penguins had their fair share of injuries over the last couple of years, and they still found a way to compete. Gotta give DB some credit.

I'll still pass.

And what the hell did he do wrong at the Olympics? He lost 1-0 to Canada and the Finland game IMO was all on the players.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I'll pass.

However, it is pretty funny how Bylsma is a scapegoat for how badly some players underachieved on the Pens during his tenure. Also, I feel like the Penguins had their fair share of injuries over the last couple of years, and they still found a way to compete. Gotta give DB some credit.

I'll still pass.

And what the hell did he do wrong at the Olympics? He lost 1-0 to Canada and the Finland game IMO was all on the players.

Agreed. Bylsma is a pretty good coach who can get the most out of his players. Those under-achieving Pens teams were a function of poor self control from Malkin, Neal, and Letang putting themselves ahead of the team and acting like idiots. Sure it's the coach's responsibility to control his team but those three divas likely don't listen to anybody.

Firehockey

Jul 2, 2013
I`ll keep berube, bylsma can stay the **** out of philly!

he is useless for this club

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
"Dan... over here... what is your opinion of tonight's loss?"

"I was impressed with our effort. We got to our game, got the puck in quickly, got to our forecheck. Credit to the other team, they played well in their own zone."

"So is that why you started the game with Umberger, Schenn, and Rinaldo on the line?"

"Yeah... Plus, we had been struggling to generate offence, or anything. So I thought I'd go with something different. Anything else?"

"Dan... the PK, especially with Grossman and MacDonald, has struggled for the past handful of games. Are you planning on making any changes to it?"

"...... No. Grossman and MacDonald are committed hockey players, they know their mistakes. We'll go over tape again tomorrow and hopefully they will be more successful. It's just little things, not getting that one pokecheck or whatever that is happening."

"You said you guys were creating opportunities but just not finishing. Do you think the lineup has anything to do with that?"

"What part of the lineup? Sorry."

"Like Matt Read being on the fourth line."

"No, the lines are clicking. Just sometimes the puck doesn't go in the net."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Boucher certainly used a 1-3-1 formation. He just often parked it far back, with the "point" standing at the offensive blueline instead of chasing the puck deep. Pretty much the definition of clogging the neutral zone, with 3 guys then across the red line and one man back by the defensive blue line.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Shero used a 1-4 against the Soviets and to protect leads late in games.

The majority of teams use a 1-2-2 if they're unable to make a deep forecheck or if protecting a lead (Berube included; Stevens was the same).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"Dan... over here... what is your opinion of tonight's loss?"

"I was impressed with our effort. We got to our game, got the puck in quickly, got to our forecheck. Credit to the other team, they played well in their own zone."

"So is that why you started the game with Umberger, Schenn, and Rinaldo on the line?"

"Yeah... Plus, we had been struggling to generate offence, or anything. So I thought I'd go with something different. Anything else?"

"Dan... the PK, especially with Grossman and MacDonald, has struggled for the past handful of games. Are you planning on making any changes to it?"

"...... No. Grossman and MacDonald are committed hockey players, they know their mistakes. We'll go over tape again tomorrow and hopefully they will be more successful. It's just little things, not getting that one pokecheck or whatever that is happening."

"You said you guys were creating opportunities but just not finishing. Do you think the lineup has anything to do with that?"

"What part of the lineup? Sorry."

"Like Matt Read being on the fourth line."

"No, the lines are clicking. Just sometimes the puck doesn't go in the net."

Translating his usual Pens post games presser into Flyerspeak hammers home how much we don't want him.

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
I don't want him regardless, but does it strike anyone as a bit slimy to be angling for somebody else's job? I know nobody likes Berube and I'm not his biggest fan, but isn't there some kind of code?

Also, why does he want to coach here? Does he have some tie to the organization that I'm forgetting? If it's just bitterness over Pittsburgh then double no thanks. Only thing worse than a mediocre coach is a mediocre coach with an agenda.

penguins2946*

I feel bad for you guys if you end up getting Bylsma. He refuses to change his system even when it's getting shut down, he makes terrible lineup decisions and he will overuse the hell out of your 4th line scrubs. He's not a good coach at all. The Flyers should go for the walrus if Berube gets fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad