Rumor: Dan Bylsma reportedly wants to coach in Philadelphia

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I am not his biggest fan by any means but Berube just has to go as a head coach. To even consider Blysma just shows how Flyer fans view Berube as a head coach of this team.

I don't know who actually would consider him. I want no part of Bylsma. He couldn't win with the best two players in the world, aside from the year he came in halfway through of course.

I have to believe the Pens did as well as they did in spite of Bylsma.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't know who actually would consider him. I want no part of Bylsma. He couldn't win with the best two players in the world, aside from the year he came in halfway through of course.

I have to believe the Pens did as well as they did in spite of Bylsma.

The Penguins won with Bylsma using Therrien's system...everything after that was his system.

Really that Penguins team could have won with a broomstick coaching, they just needed someone that wasn't yelling at them after every mistake that year. Unfortunately once he actually started coaching things went downhill really fast.

His one positive is he can get a depleted roster to play winning hockey, but you don't win the Cup in December and no matter how good your coach is a roster full of plugs is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
But does Hexy and company want him? I doubt it. At least I hope not. He's just as big a turd as Berube, his record just looks better as a result of Crosby and Malkin. If he was a good coach, he would have won multiple cups with those Pitt teams.

And dont think for a minute he wouldn't play Rinaldo just as much as Berube does. The guy was in love with Craig Adams, who is one of the worst players in the league.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I hope to jeebus not. I desperately want Berube gone, but don't continue the merry-go-round of coaching. Stop with all retreads and in-house hires too.

Once they make the switch hire somebody who at least looks promising, not another coach guaranteed to suck sooner then later.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
If he came in and said he wants to stick it to the Penguins I'd hire him with a short leash this season.

RJ8812*

people trash him, but whatever

coaches always get fired and come back with a different attitude/mentality

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
We do not have the personnel to win with Berube or Bylsma.

However, the fact that anybody is entertaining the thought of Blysma is insane. What was the Penguins biggest issue when he coached there? Defense. What is the Flyers issue? Defense.

I doubt Berube goes anywhere. He will at least get a part of next season to show what he can do with his system with (hopefully) better players.

It will be interesting to see how much better we are without guys like Lecavalier. Morin and Ghost will probably make the team next year - which should add some speed and tenacity to our D for sure.

Really, this is all apart of the process which Hextall has set out to accomplish. No, that is not just losing, but mainly patience. You can't just say "Oh we suck, we need a new coach". No, we do not need a new coach. We need better players! Hopefully, we can draft some gems over the next couple years, maybe land a solid FA here or there and hope to compete for a cup when Giroux is approaching age 30.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn't put much stock into what Ryan Wilson says. He writes mostly about analytics and things of that nature relating to the Pens, but I'd be floored if he had any real "sources" close to Bylsma.

But as it's been said, if this is true, you guys can do better. Nothing would bring me more satisfaction at this point than for him to never get an NHL HC job again.

EDIT: You guy seem to have a good thing going with Giroux and Voracek. If he coaches PHI, he'll just do to them what he did with sid and geno and waste the best years of their careers.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
people trash him, but whatever

coaches always get fired and come back with a different attitude/mentality

It's very true. Darry Sutter is a genius now. In San Jose and Calgary his teams always choked.

We do not have the personnel to win with Berube or Bylsma.

However, the fact that anybody is entertaining the thought of Blysma is insane. What was the Penguins biggest issue when he coached there? Defense. What is the Flyers issue? Defense.

Their biggest issue was keeping their composure in the playoffs.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He also makes silly lineup decisions similar to Berube does and I can't take more of that.

There's something to be said for continuity in coaching. It's bad for development and the team as well as looks bad to hire a crappy coach fully well knowing it's just to lose the original crappy coach. Plus if you a hire a new coach that means either giving him a fair shake at the job which would mean the rest of what is looking like a lost season plus however long of next season then being in the same situation again next year. Or it means hiring someone with the intent of firing them after half a season. Either way it's silly and stupid.

Unless you think Bylsma is a good coach, in which case I'd disagree but at least it's just a difference of opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad