Dan Bylsma: Most coaching wins in Penguins history

Michael8771*

As a REGULAR season coach very few can match this man's accomplishments. Coach disco winning 233 in style tonight! Say goodnight lucy!

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Congrats to him. He has his warts. I think he's too tough on younger players sometimes while not taking his veterans to task enough for their bad play. His lineup decisions can often be maddening too but all in all he's a good coach.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Congrats to DB on the accomplishment. I may bust on him constantly, but at the very least he's doing his job and putting the Pens in position to get into the postseason and make a Cup run.

Now his playoff coaching......

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
This thread has barely any action but the thread about what member of the team you hate the most is blowing up...so stupid

Congrats on a terrific accomplishment, Disco!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Congrats to Disco. I know he isn't the most popular around here but this season with all the injuries we've suffered and the young players coming up he has done an absolutely great job. Hopefully this will keep going until June

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Congrats to Disco indeed. He may not the sharpest knife in the drawer at playoff times, but year after year Penguins face a lot of injury-related adversity in the regular season and I really like how he can find those small pieces that help the team get job done, finishing on top spots of the conference. He's obviously stuck to his own habits, but that takes nothing away from the accomplishment whatsoever.

It's actually a bit amazing that Pens end up at top playoff seeds every season and I happily take it. So, congrats to Disco where congrats are due.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This thread has barely any action but the thread about what member of the team you hate the most is blowing up...so stupid

Congrats on a terrific accomplishment, Disco!

what would people be saying if this was a thread congratulating Marc-Andre Fleury for a wins record?

The same applies here.

Bylsma is not a good coach. Team wins are team wins.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
what would people be saying if this was a thread congratulating Marc-Andre Fleury for a wins record?

The same applies here.

Bylsma is not a good coach. Team wins are team wins.
He is a good coach. You can't discredit him and call him a bad coach just because you don't like certain things he does. I don't like him much either for certain lineup decisions etc. But the guy wins games despite having to deal with an insane amount of injuries almost every year. That is good coaching. You can't take that away from him. He needs to be better in the playoffs but a lot of coaches go through stretches where they don't win much in the playoffs.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Let me know when his ROW gets to this number.

I know I sound like one of those cranky old guys who say the shootout shouldn't exist, but I'm ok with it.

But comparing win records with pre-shootout numbers is misleading at best, pointless at worst.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He is a good coach. You can't discredit him and call him a bad coach just because you don't like certain things he does. I don't like him much either for certain lineup decisions etc. But the guy wins games despite having to deal with an insane amount of injuries almost every year. That is good coaching. You can't take that away from him. He needs to be better in the playoffs but a lot of coaches go through stretches where they don't win much in the playoffs.

Absolutely. We always talk about the Bruins but Julien would have been fired if his team didn't beat the Habs in round 1 the year they won the Cup. They struggled as well and after winning it all they lost to the Caps in the 1st round. **** happens, Disco needs to adjust better in the playoffs but other then that we can't complain much

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I actually can call him a bad coach.

The Penguins score 2 goals in 16 seconds to tie a game they should lose. The Pens are almost certainly guaranteed a point.

Bylsma sends out his pets (read: Glass and company) and the only chance for the Penguins to lose that point plays out as the Pens are unable to get the puck out of their own end for the remainder of the game.

This is just a snapshot that is representative of the entire Bylsma picture.

Because the Canucks failed to capitalize doesn't mean Bylsma made the right/correct decision.

His inability to recognize who is and is not good is the most infuriating, maddening, DAMNING thing going on here.

For the record: this isn't about Simon Despres, just so we can get that strawman out of the way.

Even if Despres was in the AHL, Bylsma would still fail to make the correct lineup decisions.

His piss-poor handling of young players v vets, his in-game decision making, his timeout usage, his reliance of the 4th-line as a shutdown unit, line matching, refusal to hold vets accountable for the same mistakes over and over and over, believing that Orpik - Engelland (or Orpik - AnyOneNotNamedMartin) is a shutdown pair, etc...

If the guy doesn't win a cup in his first half season in the NHL, his supporters would be few and far between. This isn't some guy with a long pedigree. He didn't prove himself at multiple coaching gigs. He was the AHL coach who was hired to finish out the year, and happened to be around when taking the reigns off of one of the most explosive young teams in the league paid off in a cup win.

You can go through any game and point out 5+ indefensible coaching decisions. That's not a great coach.

He's a bad coach. (See, not only CAN I say it, I just did it again!)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Congrats to a coach that has the luxury of coaching just about every game with the 2 best players in the league in his lineup.....and he balances this by also having the 2 worst players consistently in his lineup with Adams and Glass. Bylsma also has by far the best coaching assistant staff in the league.

Bylsma would've been fired about 4 times so far on rebuilding teams. He has no clue how to handle developing players or eroding veterans.

Does anyone think he's dressed our best possible lineup at any time or has squeezed every last drop of goal differential out of this team ever?

He's given a Ferrari to race against Dodges and is congratulated when he wins despite spinning it twice. We all know where he finishes when he has to race other Ferraris.:help:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Let me know when his ROW gets to this number.

I know I sound like one of those cranky old guys who say the shootout shouldn't exist, but I'm ok with it.

But comparing win records with pre-shootout numbers is misleading at best, pointless at worst.

I think that's just shy of 40 wins away. It won't be long then.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

tumblr_m12qm6g7SS1r1ov0uo1_400.gif

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Congrats to coach DB.

Coaches are judged by wins and losses and nobody is better then DB.

How great would it be to see DB get a Jack Adams Gold Medal and Cup in the same year, its unlikely to happen but he gotta a chance to win all 3 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad