Dan Bylsma Hot Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Just going to ask flat out...

Does anyone else think that "upper management" asked Disco to open things up? I really can't see any coach from peewee to a mutant league trying to win like the Pens did against the Flyers last year or Bruin in games 1 and 2.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Trick question. Its actually secret answer c: the fans. They clearly just don't understand how hard it is to coach and sometimes things like these happen. They will have a million yinzer callers on. Half to beat down and the other half will be mentally challenged.

This and Bylsma's "It was the goalie" crap is what breeds losing.

The goalie looked great because he could see the puck the entire series & he along with everyone in the building knew what we were going to do.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Part of me though wouldn't be surprised to see Shero give Bylsma next year....

I would to be honest; having your playoff motto as "All-In" means one thing. I don't think Pens fans on this board are on another level of hockey intelligence above Mario and Ray Shero. How could they not see and address these issues? I normally mute the television broadcast and listen to Lange and The 29er but I've read that commentators destroyed Bylsma with criticism and predicted he would be gone. Proof that others see it too.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I get the DB hate, but ppl really need to lay off. The pens scored 2 goals in 4 games, DB wasn't on the ice to score. He may be fired, but at some point the players have to be held accountable.
But maybe they would have scored more goals if he made some actual adjustments. His top line was totally shutdown but mostly kept intact anyway. He also refused to make any changes to his top PP despite it going 0 for the series. Trying Iginla on the top PP unit should have been done. He totally misused Iginla overall. I get Iggy isn't what he used to be but he could have done more here if used better.

I do think DB is a good coach and would get another job almost immediately after being fired but I think this group needs someone new. It is risky. I do think we could do worse than Bylsma as a head coach but we could do better. I think Tippett would be an upgrade but he may or may not become available and that is another part of the risk of letting DB go.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
2 goals all series and he just kept rolling out the same top 3 lines & PP over & over again. Like at some point they were just going to start working?

That & I don't think he once used a time out properly. He only uses them after icings. We really needed one when things were falling apart but never got one.

Then the match ups. Even when we had last change Crosby was always out there against Bergeron.

This was honestly one of the worst coached series I've ever seen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As much as I wish Shero would fire Bylsma ASAP, he'll probably give him next season and a short leash. I expect another year of entertaining regular season hockey and postseason failure, and another year wasted.

It's sort of a transition year anyway. Key guys due raises. Salary cap going down. Fleury may still be here.

I doubt we'd be able to ice a SC calibre roster next year. I suppose anything is possible.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
It's sort of a transition year anyway. Key guys due raises. Salary cap going down. Fleury may still be here.

I doubt we'd be able to ice a SC calibre roster next year. I suppose anything is possible.
As long as 87 and 71 are healthy, they have Stanley Cup aspirations.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
What about Shero says he's willing to sit a year and go "Maybe we'll get a cup this year"?

The guy knows just as much as we do that Crosby & Malkin are in their primes right now. The time is now.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
What about Shero says he's willing to sit a year and go "Maybe we'll get a cup this year"?

The guy knows just as much as we do that Crosby & Malkin are in their primes right now. The time is now.

Yeah I just can't fathom Shero sitting around for a year.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I just had a sad thought while in the Iggy thread....

Had Hossa stayed after our 2008 Cup loss, I wonder if HCDB would have grossly misused him in the way he screwed around with Iggy???

My money is sadly on yes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sure would be fun to play against Dan The Mastermind Bylsma if he coaches the Rangers.

Take away the stretch pass along the wall, and put your checking line against his scoring line and you're golden. Zero adjustments in both game plan and in terms of avoiding match ups for that guy.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sure would be fun to play against Dan The Mastermind Bylsma if he coaches the Rangers.

Take away the stretch pass along the wall, and put your checking line against his scoring line and you're golden. Zero adjustments in both game plan and in terms of avoiding match ups for that guy.

It would be interesting to see if our players could actually adjust to what the other team is doing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
A real blow to us would be if he got the axe, but then somehow/somewhere learned to adjust coaching wise and immediately begun doing so with his new team.
Especially if it gave him winning results.

Frankly, I could see him somehow making a lot smarter of coaching decisions with a team that's not ours. I dunno why...but yeah.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
A real blow to us would be if he got the axe, but then somehow/somewhere learned to adjust coaching wise and immediately begun doing so with his new team.
Especially if it gave him winning results.

Frankly, I could see him somehow making a lot smarter of coaching decisions with a team that's not ours. I dunno why...but yeah.

he'll do better wherever he goes because he won't be in a situation that involves as much thinking and ability to stand up to superstars

Slorp Train

Feb 26, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
i think a lot of people are completely missing the point on why this falls on db. Yes,the big names didnt produce, but why did he absolutely refuse to put kmn out there for a few shifts when everytime this post season they were making things happen? why not put crosby and iggy out and see if they can recapture the olympic magic? why keep throwing the same 0-15 pp on the ice when the other config was going at a 30% clip? Going in to game 4 with no offense and backs against the wall, why not give the 4th line some offensive flair, we certainly had the players sitting in the press box to make that happen. His refusal to do anything different is why this falls on him. Db made the choice he would rather be right than to win.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i think a lot of people are completely missing the point on why this falls on db. Yes,the big names didnt produce, but why did he absolutely refuse to put kmn out there for a few shifts when everytime this post season they were making things happen? why not put crosby and iggy out and see if they can recapture the olympic magic? why keep throwing the same 0-15 pp on the ice when the other config was going at a 30% clip? Going in to game 4 with no offense and backs against the wall, why not give the 4th line some offensive flair, we certainly had the players sitting in the press box to make that happen. His refusal to do anything different is why this falls on him. Db made the choice he would rather be right than to win.

please look up KMN's production this off-season. I'll hang up and listen.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
If Shero doesn't fire Bylsma, the owners should fire Shero then fire Bylsma. Shero is a great GM, but he cannot possibly think that after 4 years of play-off failure it is just bad luck and Tuuka Rask becoming one with the force?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If Shero doesn't fire Bylsma, the owners should fire Shero then fire Bylsma. Shero is a great GM, but he cannot possibly think that after 4 years of play-off failure it is just bad luck and Tuuka Rask becoming one with the force?

If the owners wanted DB fired, they would tell Shero to fire him, If Shero keeps DB you know the owners wanted to keep him as well.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If the owners wanted DB fired, they would tell Shero to fire him, If Shero keeps DB you know the owners wanted to keep him as well.

The owners let Shero maneuver with a great deal of autonomy. They will only step in if they REALLY feel he's screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad