Dan Bylsma Hot Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF fan*

Is D.B still on the hot seat even though we made it to the conference finals? If we were to go out in 4 or 5, could he be fired? What do you all think?

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
I wouldn't just look at Dan, I would look at the entire core/team, we have been favs every year but have under achieved since 09. Probably easier to scapegoat Dan than to consider perhaps paying 10m for a few guys who can be shut down when it matters might not work (Just ask the caps). Makes you also think about how much you want to pay Letang / Geno coming up.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
No way finishing at worst 3rd-4th place puts him on the hot seat. The difference in winning when it's down to the last 4 is very small. Especially this year where these 4 teams are legitimately the best 4 teams in the league. Firing a coach who just got us this far no matter what the roster is would be a bold move.

People need to stop acting like we lost the series when we lost last night. It's going to be a long series for whom ever wins it.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't like a lot of decisions Dan makes. But now is not the time to be talking about this.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
That ship has sailed after he won the first two playoff series. He will be here and depending how long this playoff run continues will determine how much power he still has within the organization for the next couple of years.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He did nothing but coach a great Game 1. Just had to execute. I thought he coached a great game.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
My only real complaint with DB is Neal on the top PP unit over Iginla. I get that Neal has had big success on the PP the past few years and he also went into last game scorching hot with 5 goals in the final two games of the Ottawa series but Iginla's right-handed shot is more valuable to that first PP unit, imo.

I agree that the team coached and played pretty well in game one. The team just seemed a bit off or rusty when it came to finishing.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
As frustrating as he is to watch coach. He's learning and I think that he's saved himself with those two series victories. He'll be here next season but if we don't get to the SCF this year or next, then he could be on the hot seat.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know if he is on the hot seat, but I think he should be if Boston wins the series.

This team was "all in" even according to GM Shero. If the Pens lose this round, then that amounted to defeating two lower ranked teams (the 7th and 8th seeds), then bowing out to the first legitimate challenger they faced. IMO, that's grounds for dismissal.

If the Pens make it to the Cup finals and lose a close series, his job is probably secure. But I don't think beating two teams who they were supposed to beat should save Bylsma from the axe if the Bruins eliminate the Pens.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I've been a big DB critic at times. But I think it's highly unlikely he'll get fired if we lose this series, which is still very winnable right now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Would rather take AV than Torts. Although Torts would probably stop the team playing badly sometimes by ripping into them.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Would rather take AV than Torts. Although Torts would probably stop the team playing badly sometimes by ripping into them.

Honestly, I would take either one of them, they seem more emotionally involved in the game and players actually listen and both of them will let their players know how they feel.

AV is a better guy though...fits more with the team mentality

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Just as long as we don't replace him with somebody who's afraid to hold players accountable and isn't scared ****less to put in inexperienced younger players sometimes, then I'm down.

edit: Oh, and mancrushes on inferior hockey players should be another thing to add to that list.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would take him....
I would shoot myself in the face if the Pens ever hired that nimrod.

He has his short comings but I like Disco and think he's getting better every year, I actually think he's had his best year. People forget just how new he is to coaching. I like the way he handles himself and the team.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Anything less than the Cup should result in his termination. If nothing else, simply for how he completely mismanaged Iginla. Think about that. The most coveted deadline acquisition, who we gave up a pretty decent amount for, and Bylsma has him playing out of position, and on a 2nd PP (even though we were clicking around 35% when he was on the top PP). Brendan Morrow (who we also paid a lot for) has been turned into Tanner Glass.

If Bylsma has trouble motivating, isn't good with x's and o's, is hesitant to make adjustments, and can't even put players in their natural positions, what exactly does he do to help the team?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Sweet Jesus...

Coaching wasn't a problem yesterday. Far from it.

And wake up please when it comes to Iginla. He's Bill Guerin revisited.

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He did nothing but coach a great Game 1. Just had to execute. I thought he coached a great game.

I'm only a part time fan now that my team is out, but I thought they looked unprepared and undisciplined yesterday, and that's on the coach. It's way too early to draw any conclusions in this series though. If they continue to play like game 1, then I think you have to change the coach, but if they keep their cool and commit to their defensive responsibilities it should be a long and hard fought series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad