Proposal: Dan Boyle anyone? | 6/18/14: Boyle won't sign with Isles; NYI shopping his rights

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Boyle isn't in some kind of magical decline. In fact I would state that he just ran into some really bad puck luck last year. SJ had a shooting percentage of 6% when he was on the ice. That's insanely low. His PP puck luck wasnt much better.

Boyle on TB would put up 40 points easily. No doubt in my mind. And give him relatively sheltered zone starts and minutes and he would be an upgrade on at least half of the current players we have now.

Not even mentioning the fact that he's a right handed defensemen.

2 years, 3.5M per (maybe upwards of 4M) could be much worse spent.

This isn't to say I don't think we should also be bringing in another top 2 defensemen as well.

Statistics would say he's in a decline, his TOI has dropped each of the past 3 years as has his point production. That's not just one year of bad luck it's a negative trend.

Could he put up 40 points for us, sure I guess but it definitely won't be easy. He probably wouldn't get top PP time as that would and should go to Hedman so that's gonna hurt his chances. He shouldn't be playing top 4 minutes so that'll hurt them too. I can see him being better then the likes of Aulie/Kostka/Barberio but nobody else.

Being a RD is great but so is Salo who's much better in his own zone, he just doesn't have the foot speed anymore. You could possibly shelter Boyle with Brewer who's strong in the D zone. But for the amount of money he'll want and get it's not worth it for a sheltered, bottom pair, 2nd PP unit player, we can use Barberio for that at a quarter of the price.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Statistics would say he's in a decline, his TOI has dropped each of the past 3 years as has his point production. That's not just one year of bad luck it's a negative trend.

Could he put up 40 points for us, sure I guess but it definitely won't be easy. He probably wouldn't get top PP time as that would and should go to Hedman so that's gonna hurt his chances. He shouldn't be playing top 4 minutes so that'll hurt them too. I can see him being better then the likes of Aulie/Kostka/Barberio but nobody else.

Being a RD is great but so is Salo who's much better in his own zone, he just doesn't have the foot speed anymore. You could possibly shelter Boyle with Brewer who's strong in the D zone. But for the amount of money he'll want and get it's not worth it for a sheltered, bottom pair, 2nd PP unit player, we can use Barberio for that at a quarter of the price.

Disagree 100 millionth percent.

I am kinda lost here. We do play 2 d on power play right?

Hedman I expect to break out decently in power play but he had what 14 points? 3 goals? Carle had 7 points with 1 goal. Salo had six points no goals barberio and gudas had a goal. No one else had any goals on D I believe?

So you saying boyle is not instantly our number one d guy on power play? I mean really?

I think your really out there on this one.

I hope don't go out and overpay but he is a huge upgrade even if he plays with brewer to our d corps. Even if we pay him 4.5 x 2 and he puts up 30 each year its a major plus. Getting 20 from him on power play would be HUGE.

Boyle improved stat wise big time as season went along is not something you can make up so when came to he is declining? His stats say otherwise after concussion on power play for points and assists. He was coming into his own at the end and his charts say that.

I spoke a lot but this is one I feel you are totally out in left field on. He is honestly better RH D for us power play wise than any other player available I know of unless we go get someone who is not an UFA like shattenkirk.

I think he can take over salo's minutes say 17 with no problem playing with brewer.

He will help us big time and hope myself it happens. Again dont want to over pay but fayne or others is not going to bring the same thing as boyle.

No one we can get in UFA is perfect boyle happens to be a guy we can plug in and upgrade to a certain level we could use another guy though for sure. Maybe do something around connolly and stone or killorn and stone. Shattenkirk is not ideal either cause his defense is weak. We cannot get bogosian without giving up a vital guy imho. Cant get shattenkirk either and his d is very questionable.

Boyle costs us malones money. He is worth more than malone.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We only played two D on the 2nd unit, we played Hedman and 4 forwards at the end of the year. Hedman should do better because he didn't start getting top line PP minutes till almost halfway through the year. Carle stopped getting PP time pretty much altogether when we moved Hedman to top unit and Salo to 2nd. Gudas and Barberio got occasional minutes throughout the year.

Would he boost out PP, sure but as I see it he'll probably be on the 2nd unit and I want to see Barberio back there to see what he can do. My top unit would be Palat-Johnson-Stamkos-Drouin-Hedman with a 2nd of Killorn/Callahan-Filppula-Kucherov/Connolly-Carle-Barberio/Boyle. If Callahan is signed he play's instead of Killorn, whichever one is hotter between Kucherov/Connolly and if we sign Boyle if not Barberio.

I just think we need to look for a younger RD, Gilbert/Stralman if we dip into free agency if not run with Sustr and Barberio getting bigger roles. The money isn't an issue, 4.5 isn't gonna hurt us but if we bring him in it'll cut minutes from Barberio and Sustr which could stagnate their development which I prefer we don't do.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
It's not rocket science to see that signing with the Islanders doesn't make a lot of sense for Boyle. They'd have to throw him ludicrous money and with likely a 2 year contract, it's going to be hard to out pay a contending team by that much.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
We only played two D on the 2nd unit, we played Hedman and 4 forwards at the end of the year. Hedman should do better because he didn't start getting top line PP minutes till almost halfway through the year. Carle stopped getting PP time pretty much altogether when we moved Hedman to top unit and Salo to 2nd. Gudas and Barberio got occasional minutes throughout the year.

Would he boost out PP, sure but as I see it he'll probably be on the 2nd unit and I want to see Barberio back there to see what he can do. My top unit would be Palat-Johnson-Stamkos-Drouin-Hedman with a 2nd of Killorn/Callahan-Filppula-Kucherov/Connolly-Carle-Barberio/Boyle. If Callahan is signed he play's instead of Killorn, whichever one is hotter between Kucherov/Connolly and if we sign Boyle if not Barberio.

I just think we need to look for a younger RD, Gilbert/Stralman if we dip into free agency if not run with Sustr and Barberio getting bigger roles. The money isn't an issue, 4.5 isn't gonna hurt us but if we bring him in it'll cut minutes from Barberio and Sustr which could stagnate their development which I prefer we don't do.

I think barberio is a bust myself. I dont care if he gets power play minutes he has major work to do and I think he is a 7th right now at best and Left hand D which doesnt help stamkos like we are looking for.

I do not think we will get gilbert and stralman would like that but can still sign boyle with no problem.

I say we need at least 2 day others say one I disagree. That is where everything comes from. If KoekKoek was up is another story he I think will help the power play he has a cannon. He seems consistent and puts it on net etc..

I am pretty much over barberio. I do not want gudas and brewer together so hoping we get a guy otherwise is primarily going to be sustr and hedman. I am ok with that not thrilled. Carle gudas to me boyle there is a good thing.

Stralman is ok and a few others yet think if niskanen stays in pitt his money goes up is not many options in UFA D wise even worth looking at and besides orpik is not a good two and for the money age etc.. he is not a good option imho.

I am not that high on barberio he might develop into something worthwhile but will take a few more years if he does. He makes too many mistakes pinches badly is not physical or large or fast enough to handle his mistakes.

Others can argue with that all they want but I saw what I saw. He is never imho going to be a number four defender with the game I saw last year. I think as have said he had one magical season in AHL on a SUPER MAGICAL TEAM. He was along for that ride and everything else he has done is primarily pedestrian level for an NHL player.

He was picked in 5th round six years ago if he was going to be an impact player he would have done a heck of a lot more last year just saying.

In advanced stats which say YES people can improve also can be issues with advanced stats his shooting though goes like this.

121 shots 54 got on net 46 got blocked 21 missed the net. Now is that the stats of a good power play quarterback?

Now hedman had those types of numbers a couple years ago so maybe Mark develops but is 24 I dont think we need to wait for him till is 27 or 28 myself.

Gudas actually has about the same stats and shoots way further out so the difference is somehow Mark moved around or jumped in closer to net for his shots. Not meaning he is excellent on power play. Sustr numbers are actually better than barberio's and he shoots almost as close as Mark did.

Mark has a high goal scoring percentage but I myself want a guy who RISES the puck a bit and allows guys at net to get goals more than I want a guy who can get me 10-12 goals a year.

I hope that makes sense. I will take a guy with a lower shooting percentage and more assists cause he is more consistent and hits the net more often.

I am not trying to be down on Mark Barberio just to me he is not that good at anything that makes me jump up and down in joy and I do not see him as ever being a reliable four I want to move forward with. So if is not a four unless he is a 45 point guy which I say he is not close to that YET maybe in future I go after other guys with much better more rounded games.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I think barberio is a bust myself. I dont care if he gets power play minutes he has major work to do and I think he is a 7th right now at best and Left hand D which doesnt help stamkos like we are looking for.

I do not think we will get gilbert and stralman would like that but can still sign boyle with no problem.

I say we need at least 2 day others say one I disagree. That is where everything comes from. If KoekKoek was up is another story he I think will help the power play he has a cannon. He seems consistent and puts it on net etc..

I am pretty much over barberio. I do not want gudas and brewer together so hoping we get a guy otherwise is primarily going to be sustr and hedman. I am ok with that not thrilled. Carle gudas to me boyle there is a good thing.

Stralman is ok and a few others yet think if niskanen stays in pitt his money goes up is not many options in UFA D wise even worth looking at and besides orpik is not a good two and for the money age etc.. he is not a good option imho.

I am not that high on barberio he might develop into something worthwhile but will take a few more years if he does. He makes too many mistakes pinches badly is not physical or large or fast enough to handle his mistakes.

Others can argue with that all they want but I saw what I saw. He is never imho going to be a number four defender with the game I saw last year. I think as have said he had one magical season in AHL on a SUPER MAGICAL TEAM. He was along for that ride and everything else he has done is primarily pedestrian level for an NHL player.

He was picked in 5th round six years ago if he was going to be an impact player he would have done a heck of a lot more last year just saying.

In advanced stats which say YES people can improve also can be issues with advanced stats his shooting though goes like this.

121 shots 54 got on net 46 got blocked 21 missed the net. Now is that the stats of a good power play quarterback?

Now hedman had those types of numbers a couple years ago so maybe Mark develops but is 24 I dont think we need to wait for him till is 27 or 28 myself.

Gudas actually has about the same stats and shoots way further out so the difference is somehow Mark moved around or jumped in closer to net for his shots. Not meaning he is excellent on power play. Sustr numbers are actually better than barberio's and he shoots almost as close as Mark did.

Mark has a high goal scoring percentage but I myself want a guy who RISES the puck a bit and allows guys at net to get goals more than I want a guy who can get me 10-12 goals a year.

I hope that makes sense. I will take a guy with a lower shooting percentage and more assists cause he is more consistent and hits the net more often.

I am not trying to be down on Mark Barberio just to me he is not that good at anything that makes me jump up and down in joy and I do not see him as ever being a reliable four I want to move forward with. So if is not a four unless he is a 45 point guy which I say he is not close to that YET maybe in future I go after other guys with much better more rounded games.

I agree about Barberio, I think he is awful
I don't think he will get much better either.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I agree about Barberio, I think he is awful
I don't think he will get much better either.

Well I dont think he is awful but he is not the top four guy he was projected to be. Maybe he can get there 2-3 years out yet he has many glaring issues and just cause he can shoot the puck at times in the goal doesnt mean he is good at hitting the goal all the time or not having shot blocked and his decisions (which in all fairness he was a rookie) are very questionable on when to pinch when not to etc.. At 24 and with his resume I expected a lot more from him maybe he makes a big jump this year but still think he will be manhandled and is not fast enough to play and be a difference maker in this league. Now can he become a number four on a bad team? Probably.

We are not going to be a bad team though. I still hope for him cause never hope bad for anyone but he is like lindback I aint willing to wait around with all we have imho on someone I dont see as core or who could be core in the next couple of years for cup runs. Lindback might also develop into a good goalie. Yet this is last evaluation year imho and we need a team that can compete for cup start of 2015-2016.

I expect that myself. So maybe he comes out strong and surprises I am just not going to hold breath he really disappointed me. Where guys like SUSTR? Shocked me at how well they understood the game and played. KoekKoek if didnt have injury I have ZERO belief he would not have taken barberio's minutes from day one of camp the difference between them is astronomical right now.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
If we could get Boyle and Stralman our defense would be infinitely better right away.

That's without trading a single asset either.

Hedman Stralman
Carle Gudas
Boyle Sustr

Ship Barberio as far away as possible. He's terrible in both ends of the ice.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we could get Boyle and Stralman our defense would be infinitely better right away.

That's without trading a single asset either.

Hedman Stralman
Carle Gudas
Boyle Sustr

Ship Barberio as far away as possible. He's terrible in both ends of the ice.

Where's Brewer?

If we get a Stralman or Gilbert we don't need Boyle too, I'd want Sustr on the bottom pair not Boyle.

I had my Barberio hate moments last year and then he had games where he looked like he could be a really good offensive defenseman. He was never projected as a top 4 defenseman, after his Eddie Shore winning season his projections and hype rose a bit too much. He makes a great first pass, has really good vision and can skate incredibly so the tools to succeed are there. He's still a project who's played less then a seasons worth of games, I'd rather not ship him off just yet.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Where's Brewer?

If we get a Stralman or Gilbert we don't need Boyle too, I'd want Sustr on the bottom pair not Boyle.

I had my Barberio hate moments last year and then he had games where he looked like he could be a really good offensive defenseman. He was never projected as a top 4 defenseman, after his Eddie Shore winning season his projections and hype rose a bit too much. He makes a great first pass, has really good vision and can skate incredibly so the tools to succeed are there. He's still a project who's played less then a seasons worth of games, I'd rather not ship him off just yet.

Hopefully bought compliance buy out or he can be the 7th to swap in and out when needed.

I've said before I want Stralman first and foremost. But Boyle is a good option if we don't get him and if we do get Stralman Boyle at the right price is still an upgrade on the bottom half of our defense.

And Barberio just doesn't think the game fast enough for the NHL level where just about everyone is as fast as him, which is how he was good in the AHL where they aren't.

EDIT: I think the plan might be (read: I hope it is) to go after Stralman first, don't get him get Boyle. Then make a trade with our forward assets and picks to bring in a young top 3 defenseman on the rise.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hopefully bought compliance buy out or he can be the 7th to swap in and out when needed.

I've said before I want Stralman first and foremost. But Boyle is a good option if we don't get him and if we do get Stralman Boyle at the right price is still an upgrade on the bottom half of our defense.

And Barberio just doesn't think the game fast enough for the NHL level where just about everyone is as fast as him, which is how he was good in the AHL where they aren't.

EDIT: I think the plan might be (read: I hope it is) to go after Stralman first, don't get him get Boyle. Then make a trade with our forward assets and picks to bring in a young top 3 defenseman on the rise.

Why would we buyout Brewer? He's more then good enough to still be in our top 6. He was probably out most consistent defender all year, I'd say he's probably our 3rd best right now. He's much better then Boyle.

I agree we should go after Stralman but if we get him I don't think we need to trade for another D. We just need one.

I don't think Stralman is good enough to be a top pair player but he would be better then anything we have on the right side so he'd be played there out of default. The cost to acquire a true top pair defender just seems too much.

If Boyle's asking price is 4.5 for 2 years idea much rather pay Niskanen 6 for 5. He's better and younger, he's not worth 6 but if that's what it takes to get something better then Boyle I'd pay it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Why would we buyout Brewer? He's more then good enough to still be in our top 6. He was probably out most consistent defender all year, I'd say he's probably our 3rd best right now. He's much better then Boyle.

I agree we should go after Stralman but if we get him I don't think we need to trade for another D. We just need one.

I don't think Stralman is good enough to be a top pair player but he would be better then anything we have on the right side so he'd be played there out of default. The cost to acquire a true top pair defender just seems too much.

If Boyle's asking price is 4.5 for 2 years idea much rather pay Niskanen 6 for 5. He's better and younger, he's not worth 6 but if that's what it takes to get something better then Boyle I'd pay it.

Niskanen is not better than boyle he has had one decent season in his life. Last year pitt would have traded him for a third round pick.

I mean we already got carle you know. I get the righty thing but think some things on this board are pure blindness.

Niskanen scored 46 and still was hated by most of pitt fan base. Also pitt has said they will try to keep him and I sure as hell dont want to pay him his asking price of 5 years at 33 million with a chance he does worse than carle and thats a HUGE chance.

He is that age where defenders come into own but think on another team like ours he is just another guy. He reverts to what was in past. Maybe pitt gets a couple good seasons out of him I aint holding breath for 5 and he aint gonna live up to a contract of 6 million plus per year in any sense of the imagination imho.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Anyone think Rangers may not re-sign Marc Staal next summer? He would be a nice partner for Hedman.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Niskanen is not better than boyle he has had one decent season in his life. Last year pitt would have traded him for a third round pick.

I mean we already got carle you know. I get the righty thing but think some things on this board are pure blindness.

Niskanen scored 46 and still was hated by most of pitt fan base. Also pitt has said they will try to keep him and I sure as hell dont want to pay him his asking price of 5 years at 33 million with a chance he does worse than carle and thats a HUGE chance.

He is that age where defenders come into own but think on another team like ours he is just another guy. He reverts to what was in past. Maybe pitt gets a couple good seasons out of him I aint holding breath for 5 and he aint gonna live up to a contract of 6 million plus per year in any sense of the imagination imho.

How is Boyle better then Niskanen? 2004 Boyle year but not 2014 Boyle, he's not the same player he was then or even 2 years ago. Niskanen has had been better then a one season wonder, Pitt just had Letang ahead of him doing all the things Niskanen can so Niskanen wasn't used properly till this year.

Carle has changed his game completely, we aren't using him in an offensive role like we did when we first got him. He's playing a much more defensive oriented game while still adding good offensive numbers. We don't have that true offensive player, Barberio isn't it yet so Niskanen would be a needed addition.

He'll get overpaid but so did Carle and our D would be a wreck without him. Niskanen wouldn't be my first choice but if I had to choose between him at 6mil for 5 years or Boyle 4.5 for 2 I take Niskanen every time. Niskanen would continue to grow with our team while Boyle is a bandaid till a Barberio or Koekkoek step up into an offensive role.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kinda shocked at people calling Barbs a bust. He has a lot of growth, but he has some pretty great offensive instincts. He could be a good third pairing O-Dman that could create some good mismatches, and if his defensive game solidifies, he could be really great.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Kinda shocked at people calling Barbs a bust. He has a lot of growth, but he has some pretty great offensive instincts. He could be a good third pairing O-Dman that could create some good mismatches, and if his defensive game solidifies, he could be really great.

Agree, in my book he got the skills to grow a lot, he got the skating, puck movement and vision, those are rare talents. I mean this was his first season in the NHL, I just remember that Hedman wasn't that impressive the first year (not comparing them as players), give him time to grow and im sure he can be an important part of our team.

It would be horrible to throw away a guy with that many skills just cause there isn't patience, sure he had his stupid moment but so had Gudas and Sustr, when Barbs got to play more you could see how his confidience grew and he played his best hockey, some parts of the season he was our second best d-man.

When he was tossed in and out and got less ice time he became more insecure and made more mistakes, thats natural for a young d-man.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Agree, in my book he got the skills to grow a lot, he got the skating, puck movement and vision, those are rare talents. I mean this was his first season in the NHL, I just remember that Hedman wasn't that impressive the first year (not comparing them as players), give him time to grow and im sure he can be an important part of our team.

It would be horrible to throw away a guy with that many skills just cause there isn't patience, sure he had his stupid moment but so had Gudas and Sustr, when Barbs got to play more you could see how his confidience grew and he played his best hockey, some parts of the season he was our second best d-man.

When he was tossed in and out and got less ice time he became more insecure and made more mistakes, thats natural for a young d-man.

Yep. Some guys get it right away or faster than others and with some guys it takes time. He had his fair share of mistakes, but the positive thing is that compared to where he was when the season began, he slowly got better and better. It was his first season, so we shouldn't be writing him off just yet. At best he might only be a #6/pp specialist, but I'd like to see what happens this year. Confidence and experience can do great things for a dman.

I think Boyle could be a great mentor for Barbs too. As a small, offensive minded, big point producing blueliner who had plenty of issues in his own zone I'm sure he could relate.

Last edited:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Here's the problem with that. He doesn't provide offense either. If you're an offensive dman and struggling with defense that's ok because the offense makes up for it.

He literally has no redeeming qualities at the NHL level. Again, it's not the physical attributes it's the mental. He might pan out to be another MAB. But I don't see much more from him. He's certainly not worth the trade off of playing him at this point.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Brewer is better than Boyle?

Alrighty then. Good talk.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Anyone think Rangers may not re-sign Marc Staal next summer? He would be a nice partner for Hedman.

woud love staal but think he winds up somehow with brothers. Says he wont but dont trust that at all myself.

To everyone else think your all crazy and one person just said he could be a third pairing d man. I get he has NHL skills. Yet do I think he can out play dotchin, koekkoek or blujus in a couple years NO.

So yeah I would move him. Right now he is not gonna pass hedman or carle much less brewer. I saw nothing in barberio's game that impressed me at all. He played very badly for a 24 year old defender. If was younger I can see this. Maybe you guys are used to losing too much?

I am detroit fan too and there are better guys than barberio I want on first train out.

I am just saying detroit has 3 guys right now I put over barberio probably four and the fifth is most gifted of the bunch.

I hate kindl and dislike lashoff a ton and really am not happy with smith even though everyone for detroit is like keep him he will play better for last two years blah blah blah and smith? Smith is way ahead of barberio right now.

Yet detroit has guys ouellet jensen and marchenko right now I think can take smith's spot with backman and sproul coming.

All five of those guys plus smith to me have a better game than ive seen from barberio.

There are a ton of guys who are better imho is why im not high on him to me he is one dimensional. You all are saying he skates well? Why is he chasing all the time than?

We should really tip our hats off to the job brewer is doing and im sure as hell not talking about one mistake last year with barberio. I know plenty of guys even smaller than barberio who play a style that works and they dont get owned on boards or in physical situations.

Barberio tries very hard I give him that but the rest to me at 24 I expected a lot more this year so am really disappointed. He will get another year hope he works on some things and comes back in with a swagger and what is needed not to just be someone we have to cover for.

He does have a great first pass when has time but if is rushed man his game is bad for a 24 year old. Maybe is more about me buying into his hype cause he did definitely get a ton of hype during that magic season?

So yes he gets another chance but also if can move him for a RH D hes gone.

Yep. Some guys get it right away or faster than others and with some guys it takes time. He had his fair share of mistakes, but the positive thing is that compared to where he was when the season began, he slowly got better and better. It was his first season, so we shouldn't be writing him off just yet. At best he might only be a #6/pp specialist, but I'd like to see what happens this year. Confidence and experience can do great things for a dman.

I think Boyle could be a great mentor for Barbs too. As a small, offensive minded, big point producing blueliner who had plenty of issues in his own zone I'm sure he could relate.

I dont see it as just confidence and yes he was beyond lost and terrible in playoffs so no he had some time off and he became a lot worse and dont expect that from someone who should be more mature. His speed does not make up for the NHL players is the problem and he relied on it too much in lower level imho.

Now he needs to play a full game cause he aint no faster than the guys he faces no more so if they are more physical he will always get beat.

So yes he has a shot but he has to step his game up a ton on what he tried to get away with last year.

I hope he has it in him. He will get his shot cooper loved him at one point am not sure how he feels now but am sure we are just not going to throw him away.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Brewer is better than Boyle?

Alrighty then. Good talk.

Did you watch Boyle last season? He wasn't good at all and was playing sheltered on the bottom pair. Brewer isn't exciting out there, except when he goes on his Orr like strolls, but he's reliable in all situations and zones which Boyle isn't anymore. Putting up points isn't everything.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Here's the problem with that. He doesn't provide offense either. If you're an offensive dman and struggling with defense that's ok because the offense makes up for it.

He literally has no redeeming qualities at the NHL level. Again, it's not the physical attributes it's the mental. He might pan out to be another MAB. But I don't see much more from him. He's certainly not worth the trade off of playing him at this point.

I Agree his offensive wasn't there last season and for someone offensive it was a bit disappointing. He wasn't given a whole lot of PP time for one but he did have the highest shooting % of any D. He also finished +10 which for someone who looked so bad at times defensively is pretty good.

The jury is still out if he's gonna be a quality defenseman but he's too young and brings an element we lack so we need to hold onto him.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Did you watch Boyle last season? He wasn't good at all and was playing sheltered on the bottom pair. Brewer isn't exciting out there, except when he goes on his Orr like strolls, but he's reliable in all situations and zones which Boyle isn't anymore. Putting up points isn't everything.

Boyle rushed back from a concussion last season. That attributes to most of his bad play. After a full summer off and having that time to recover he should, in theory, be much better than he was last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad