Confirmed with Link: Damon Severson traded to Columbus for a 2023 3rd round pick (via CGY) (signs 8 years, 6.25 per extension)

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Listening to his media availability and Rick Nash is an instrumental part of the FO, I hope he doesn't get poached as his eventual goal is to be a GM.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Monk

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Tangential, but was reading the thread on NJD board for more insight on Severson and a lot of them seem to really hate CBJ. Anyone know why? Is it just due to Gaudreau? Obviously we’re in the same division, but we’re not rivals / have never really battled for a playoff spot or played against each other in the playoffs.

I don’t mind it (it’s better to be hated than pitied/thought of indifferently), I just find it odd. :laugh:
They’ve got terminal Little Brother Syndrome thanks to the Rags (and Islanders to a lesser extent), and are defensive and insecure as a result. They only know lashing out.

And also Johnny Gaudreau.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Ironically I wouldn’t really call our defense heavy or deep.

It is better and has lots of bodies but we don’t hit hard, play physical, or have a lot of bodies that are really that good.
Ironically also still a defense Babcock would like, just for different reasons than stated

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
They’ve got terminal Little Brother Syndrome thanks to the Rags (and Islanders to a lesser extent), and are defensive and insecure as a result. They only know lashing out.

And also Johnny Gaudreau.
The Devils I'm pretty sure are secure in those Stanley Cups they have....

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I was following him last year, I think he was even scratched for a few games, the Devils fans comments weren’t too pretty, so I’m a bit concerned
He got a ton of hate on our board. Severson 90% of the time is very good. That 10% is usually a monumentally boneheaded mistake that ends up in your net. You take the good with the bad but he was a great guy for this club that played on some horrific Devils teams but was here to see us turning the page. Wish him well but as soon as Nemec was drafted and we traded for Marino the writing was on the wall. I was holding out hope they'd figure a way for him to stay but those two things sealed his fate with NJ long term. Best of luck to him though. Just not against us.

Reactions: RickS

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The only thing more frustrating than this forum is the mains. Avoid it to keep your sanity.
The mains were shit talking the Caps back in 2014 when they “overpaid” Orpik and Niskanen. It was a franchise altering offseason.

I like when teams aggressively try to fix their weaknesses, rather than hoping it works it self out.

I like these moves.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
I’m very happy with this move even though I really wanted a slightly more d-first minded guy.

I love the fact that our prospects can now stew until they are ready. Excluding Jiricek as he is a little further down the line, we have a bunch of guys who are not ready. Someone like Mateychuk can play NHL in two years but won’t be ready for solid top four roles for a couple of years more.

If (unlikely) they all pan out, we can trade Severson when his nmc changes with the return of a second pairing d on a good contract or we just roll three good pairs.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is one Devils fan/poster there who has had an irrational hatred of the CBJ for as long as I’ve been on these boards (20+ years). There must be some personal issue there to have that white hot of a rage for such a non-offensive team as us. Otherwise, I think it’s just the usual East Coast/NYC/NJ disdain for all things Midwest.
Cat from Jersey? Probably what he hates is our non-offensive-ness.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I was following him last year, I think he was even scratched for a few games, the Devils fans comments weren’t too pretty, so I’m a bit concerned
Severson was the Devils #1 D four years in a row until last season when he was their #2.

I honestly don’t remember Severson ever getting scratched last season. I know Siegenthaler got inexplicably scratched a few times so even if the one game Severson did miss was a healthy scratch, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

No, Severson wasn’t the #1 or #2 either of the last two years. He was actually 3rd pairing this past season which is why he kind of got squeezed out in NJ. He’s a good 2nd pairing D man that was a luxury NJ couldn’t afford on the 3rd pairing going forward with the other contracts they need to address

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I honestly don’t remember Severson ever getting scratched last season. I know Siegenthaler got inexplicably scratched a few times so even if the one game Severson did miss was a healthy scratch, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

No, Severson wasn’t the #1 or #2 either of the last two years. He was actually 3rd pairing this past season which is why he kind of got squeezed out in NJ. He’s a good 2nd pairing D man that was a luxury NJ couldn’t afford on the 3rd pairing going forward with the other contracts they need to address

He may not have been their #2, but only one player played more minutes than him all season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad