Confirmed with Link: Damon Severson traded to Columbus for a 2023 3rd round pick (via CGY) (signs 8 years, 6.25 per extension)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The interesting thing is that I can't remember a time where prime Sevs was the #2 on the top line. When he was on the top pair, he was the guy. And he's not that guy.

So I think there's at least somewhat of a chance that he could be just fine since he won't be the primary on that pairing.

He ran into problems in new jersey because there were stretches where he'd just play so damn much. Like, two years ago there was a two month stretch where he played nearly 20 games and he played less than 23 minutes like once. So just don't let him be the guy you're leaning on like that.

I think this should be a really good rush defense pair for you and I think it'll be good on the break out. It'll run into problems when a team locks in possession in your zone and pushing back on dump and chase isn't his thing. So if these aren't strong points for Werenski that could get you into trouble.

Severson gets a little frazzled, I think. His brain can short circuit. You'll see him take bad penalties in crunch time, egregious pee wee level mistakes, etc. I think he's much better when he's not handling the bulk of the pressure from everything on the pair. If werenski can release some of that pressure for him, wouldn't shock me at all if he was a fine #2 on the top pair.
Thanks, always good to get actual insight.

Reactions: Forge

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
???? He was an RFA.

I'm sure there have been others pending UFA who had their rights traded but I can't specifically recall names.

He was an rfa

I don’t think so. I remember last year it was a biggish deal that tkachuk was the first and he was an rfa
One of these days I'll learn to not post without my glasses on, because I missed the UFA part.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Scouting the NJ thread (they're complimenting Columbus the city a lot btw, guess that's cool), this one was too good to not post:

Pretty funny. :D

Yeah I feel the same. 6M is not 10M or 11M. Karlsson makes what, 12M? I don't like the term either but retain 20-30% like the Flyers did on Provorov and it should be a movable contract when it becomes more problematic, if not bought out.

The money definitely isn’t rough for the player, he’d get that any day of the week on the open market. The term can end up biting Columbus a bit in the end. My guess is it will be seen similar to Gubranson contract

What fans need to remember is that the most wanted assets are top6 C’s and top4 RD’s in this league.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Enjoyed listening to them say no UFAs will come here days before we signed the biggest UFA on the market😂

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Enjoyed listening to them say no UFAs will come here days before we signed the biggest UFA on the market😂

They are truly terrible.

1st they cried how long can Jarmo have a job and Columbus be bad and then when they make moves to improve they are what the hell are they doing, ruining the culture, overpaying everyone!

As I said before can’t wait for the apology tour in 2 years time

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
They are truly terrible.

1st they cried how long can Jarmo have a job and Columbus be bad and then when they make moves to improve they are what the hell are they doing, ruining the culture, overpaying everyone!

As I said before can’t wait for the apology tour in 2 years time
Given what we've accomplished in the last 10 years with this braintrust, I think I'm safe. But I'll be the first in line to offer apologies if they are earned.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Given what we've accomplished in the last 10 years with this braintrust, I think I'm safe. But I'll be the first in line to offer apologies if they are earned.

Get ready :cool:

They’ll be a playoff team by year 2 & contenders by 3.

Next year I just want to see them in the WC hunt

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Let's hope this ages well and he doesn't turn into Severanceson!

That would of course be best, but the real price you pay (or the risk you take) signing vets is towards the end of their contract, you just hope between term, money & cap it doesn't ever get to a point where it becomes a real problem, or if it does, then you hope the good years were worth it :)

I don't know enough about Severson to even guess how he might age and that would be a guess anyway, but good D-men can often stay effective or at least usable until pretty late, so it's entirely possible he's a good player for the entire contract.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Who would outbid us at $6.2 million us for 7 years? Sort of like Johnny Hockey - we had the cap space and were willing to sign a long contract so we won the free agent prize.

Also, buy outs are stoopid. Claiming it is a good contract because it can be bought out doesn’t mean it is a good contract.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Which is why maybe you spelled stupid the way you did. What makes buyouts stupid? You wish to avoid them, yes, but they are legit tools that front offices can use. And if you structure contracts such that buyouts, if they need to happen, are less impactful, then yeah, that factor can contribute to making a contract a good contract.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Yeah, the people who are talking about "Jarmo's obviously desperate to save his job here" are seemingly just reacting to big splashes cause they don't want to get wet. The D, one of the biggest weaknesses on the team last year, just got a lot better with not a whole lot of capital given up, except for cap space. These are the kinds of moves that cap space is for.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
This just doesn't make any sense to me. Which is why maybe you spelled stupid the way you did. What makes buyouts stupid? You wish to avoid them, yes, but they are legit tools that front offices can use. And if you structure contracts such that buyouts, if they need to happen, are less impactful, then yeah, that factor can contribute to making a contract a good contract.
florida won the president's trophy last year and made the cup finals this year (and technically isn't dead yet!) with an enormous buyout of a bonus-heavy contract on their books. minnesota put up 103 points with like $15m of dead money from buyouts this year and still has them on the books for next year.

severson's contract (and even elvis if it comes to that) is far friendlier for a buyout than any of the deals those teams bought out.

as you said, it's a tool teams can use. as such, it is smart to structure your longer contracts to be more buyout-friendly, just in case. that's what they did with severson.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, the people who are talking about "Jarmo's obviously desperate to save his job here" are seemingly just reacting to big splashes cause they don't want to get wet. The D, one of the biggest weaknesses on the team last year, just got a lot better with not a whole lot of capital given up, except for cap space. These are the kinds of moves that cap space is for.
The defense sucked last year because Jarmo failed to address it last off-season.

My concern is that we are doing the traditional thing of adding the best avail. Best available does not mean it's the best fit.
Most teams especially if going thru a coaching change would let the coach come in. See who fits and who doesn't and then makes specific moves to address that.

I give Jarmo credit - he's either all in or all out (last off season he did nothing and this offseason hes going nuts). That is what most think teams should be doing - either trying to suck (to acquire high end draft picks) or go all in to try to win. I still think we're going too fast, but hopefully Jarmo proves me wrong and leads the CBJ to another 1st round playoff exit :)

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The defense sucked last year because Jarmo failed to address it last off-season.

My concern is that we are doing the traditional thing of adding the best avail. Best available does not mean it's the best fit.
Most teams especially if going thru a coaching change would let the coach come in. See who fits and who doesn't and then makes specific moves to address that.

I give Jarmo credit - he's either all in or all out (last off season he did nothing and this offseason hes going nuts). That is what most think teams should be doing - either trying to suck (to acquire high end draft picks) or go all in to try to win. I still think we're going too fast, but hopefully Jarmo proves me wrong and leads the CBJ to another 1st round playoff exit :)
I agree with the general sentiment that best available doesn't mean best fit. But I don't think it applies in this case. For one thing, looking for a best fit to the Jackets' D is an indulgence; solid, letter-wearing veterans are a better fit than the majority of guys who played D in Columbus last year. It's also easy to see the vision with these guys- good, puck-moving defensemen. I do get nervous about bad things happening in their own zone, and I'm cautiously hopeful that the vision of getting out of their own zone with alacrity will avoid too many such occasions. I'm nervous they might get walked quite a bit though.

Your last paragraph is what I'm talking about. Going too fast for what? And I really don't see how these moves constitute going "all-in". Also, last season, Jarmo signed Johnny Gudreau and extended Patrick Laine, how can you say he didn't do anything?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Can’t really say he completely failed to address it, they drafted Jiricek& Mateychuk and have a deep Dprospect pool because of it.

For where the rebuild is adding these types of players fit the timelime much better than they would have last year, it was a tire fire of a season but you got valuable info out of it, you need to upgrade Peeke/Boqvist/Blankenburgs in the top4, as well as upgrading the coaching and team defense with that.

Edit, and they tried to add players but they didn’t want to go to Columbus so now Jarmo was aggressive early on and made sure they’ll get their guys

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Can’t really say he completely failed to address it, they drafted Jiricek& Mateychuk and have a deep Dprospect pool because of it.
also the defensive core last year that we ended up with absolutely was not the one that they planned for.
  1. they tried to acquire chychrun at the draft (had a deal in place that ARI called off), and were also in on romanov (i.e. they wanted another LHD, but didn't want to overpay)
  2. werenski missed like 70 games, as did bean
  3. gavrikov had to be traded, and performed extremely well after that (good player!)
  4. boqvist also took big strides but missed time
  5. blankenburg also missed time
people saying that last year's defense is jarmo's fault are willfully excluding key context and making it seem like he actually wanted tim berni and erik gudbranson to be the top pair.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Severson turns 29 in two months.

Horrendous term.

Another desperation move by Jarmo, likely to try to salvage his job. Never a good way to operate.

This team is apparently deluded into thinking they are close to competing in the next 1-2 seasons.
This is what happens when a guy who should have been dumped years ago gets free rein while he should be on a short leash.

8 years is absolutely absurd for a player like this.

I wonder what John Davidson does for a living.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
This is what happens when a guy who should have been dumped years ago gets free rein while he should be on a short leash.

8 years is absolutely absurd for a player like this.
people are losing their minds over the term without even taking five seconds to look into the actual contract terms.

he was projected to get a six year deal. he has zero bonus money left on his contract after his sixth year. if he's ineffective by then (going into his age-35 season) they can buy him out, free up $3.4m for two years, then have $1.7m of dead money on the books for two years.

if the jackets treat his contract as a 6-year deal and buy him out in 2030 (which is far from a certainty anyway), they'll have essentially gotten six years of a top-four, two-way RHD in exchange for a third round pick and a little bit of cap space in the early 2030s. that's the worst case scenario!

meanwhile he immediately gives them a borderline top pair (he's a #3 who can play as a #2 with a good partner imo) two-way RHD with experience, physicality and the ability to move the puck (three things they lacked last year). he brings perhaps the best first pass in the league to a team that couldn't get out of their zone last year.

his AAV is perfectly fine for a de facto #3 defenseman (especially a righty) and will only look more favorable for the jackets as the cap goes up.

it's a good deal. there's nothing to complain about here, unless you are so opposed to the idea of having $1.7m of dead money on the books in 2032 that you think it's not worth the massive upgrade for the next five years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
also the defensive core last year that we ended up with absolutely was not the one that they planned for.
  1. they tried to acquire chychrun at the draft (had a deal in place that ARI called off), and were also in on romanov (i.e. they wanted another LHD, but didn't want to overpay)
  2. werenski missed like 70 games, as did bean
  3. gavrikov had to be traded, and performed extremely well after that (good player!)
  4. boqvist also took big strides but missed time
  5. blankenburg also missed time
people saying that last year's defense is jarmo's fault are willfully excluding key context and making it seem like he actually wanted tim berni and erik gudbranson to be the top pair.

Yeah no one would have thought they’ll hit the amount of injuries they did.
& it was so early in the rebuild and they had so many young NHL ready Dmen that you kind of had to/wantef to see what you have in them and had to have spots for them.

Now you have a better touch of what you have in defense and they went out and addressed it.

Also coaching really played a massive part on their defensive game

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Stoopid is intentionally misspelled as stoopid sometimes to emphasize just how stupid something is.

I have never seen a buyout that made sense to me. Minnesota might be the closest scenario to making sense, but those were awful contracts that everyone always knew would age badly. (And those bad contracts never got Minnesota anywhere.)

The NFL contract rules make so much more sense - you cut a guy and you deal with the cap hit immediately, not push it way off into the future. The NHL lets bad GMs make bad signings and then punishes a future GM by pushing the consequences of the bad signing and the reaction of the bad signing into the future.

I still have no idea why we bought out Hartnell. We are still paying Wennberg’s contract and this team could use a guy like Wennberg right now.

If you have an example of a buyout that made good long term sense for a team, please let me know what it is.

(BTW, I pay cash for cars and think anyone who finances a car is making a financial mistake. I think going into massive debt for a college degree is stupid. I went to a state school, worked when I was in school, and drove crappy cars for years. But now I am very comfortable. Pushing the cost of something you are consuming now into the future is a bad way to live your life, run a company, or manage a sports franchise.)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Stoopid is intentionally misspelled as stoopid sometimes to emphasize just how stupid something is.

I have never seen a buyout that made sense to me. Minnesota might be the closest scenario to making sense, but those were awful contracts that everyone always knew would age badly. (And those bad contracts never got Minnesota anywhere.)

The NFL contract rules make so much more sense - you cut a guy and you deal with the cap hit immediately, not push it way off into the future. The NHL lets bad GMs make bad signings and then punishes a future GM by pushing the consequences of the bad signing and the reaction of the bad signing into the future.

I still have no idea why we bought out Hartnell. We are still paying Wennberg’s contract and this team could use a guy like Wennberg right now.

If you have an example of a buyout that made good long term sense for a team, please let me know what it is.

(BTW, I pay cash for cars and think anyone who finances a car is making a financial mistake. I think going into massive debt for a college degree is stupid. I went to a state school, worked when I was in school, and drove crappy cars for years. But now I am very comfortable. Pushing the cost of something you are consuming now into the future is a bad way to live your life, run a company, or manage a sports franchise.)
This feels like an old person yelling at 20 year olds "when I was your age I was married with 2 kids, owned 2 cars and owned a home"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad