Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anchor Town*

Which would be more valuable for the team? 3rd overall or OEL?

I'd trade 1st and Mantha+ for OEL honestly.

Arizona would only trade OEL for a top 2 pick so you can gauge his value to them pretty easily. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Zach Werenski :handclap:

There's no way Holland makes that trade. If he was gonna give up that much, it would have been for Yandle or Myers. Someone with a more cap-friendly contract.

You are speaking my language with Warenski. I've been beating the drum to obtain him before he even suited up for UM.

I feel like Phaneuf may be off the table with Babs helping call the shots in T'ranna. Time to look at someone else.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Yes to Werenski if that is at all possible. He and Larkin together could be cornerstone players. It'd be like having top 10 picks in back to back years and quickly adding elite prospects. Not to mention the fact that they are best friends.

Last edited:

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I hope we do this, and we get to pick somewhere 10-13 range. Would love to draft Werenski or Provorov.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I love how this rumor has snowballed into the new head coach not liking a player at all. :laugh:

That was assuming the rumor is true, which in all likelyhood it isnt. Letting Jimmy d bash the guy publicly wasn't smart if they plan to trade him. As stated it's not like his play got worse after the td. So if it's true one of two things likely happened. Blash told Kenny that he doesn't think mantha is special or someone really good hit the market. I'm hoping it's the later and someone worth mantha and or our 1st is available.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Huh. CBC just said that Wings looking to deal. 1st pick and Mantha are available. They weren't last year or up to the trade deadline.

Im done if he trades Mantha + 1st for Phanuef, I only wanted/want Phanuef if we can/could fleece Toronto. or Do a deal that makes sense, Maybe like a Abdelkader/Helm type player.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
we better not be getting Phanuef, Hes not worth a Mantha + whoever falls at the draft to us as a dman (if anyone drops)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Package around Mantha & 1st for Dion, depends if there's more to it, like salary dumping Weiss.

I'd hold on to Mantha for now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Which would be more valuable for the team? 3rd overall or OEL?

I'd trade 1st and Mantha+ for OEL honestly.

Umm... OEL is more valuable, Hes a proven dman that can score/help score alot of points

#3 Has the potential to be a 6th dman in the ECHL. He could be better then OEL, But it would take a while and he might not even be better then OEL

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sounds like Blash isn't very high on Mantha if we are suddenly willing to deal. With that said I'd easily give up both the 1st and Mantha if it got us a young number 1 dman. Mantha is a great prospect but we have Jurco. Nyquist, Tatar, Pulu, A2 all as guys that project as too much wingers. Yeah big Wingers like Mantha are a harder find but it's not like he is a PF. At best we probably get a Carter or Nash type player.

Yep, Mantha is more of Babcock-type player. I don't remember who's in charge at Toronto now...

I think Dustin Byfuglien will be traded 100% sure if not this summer, at next summer. We should go after him. Gives us a Top-pair righty.

Last edited:

Thrace

Feb 21, 2012
Going to echo others' sentiments: if both those pieces are moved, it better be for a young, top-pairing, two-way defenceman.

Using them to get anything else - particularly a 30-year-old Phaneuf - would be awful asset management.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
use those two assets to move up in the draft makes a ton of sense espescially if you're hoping to land a key free agent dman

in fact that would restore hollands credability as a brilliant GM

on the other hand, using those two key assets to acquire dion phaneuf equals being among the bottom 5 GM's in the league as it would easily be among the worst trades the past decade

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Not really sure if it's just a knee-jerk reaction after that first season. As considering it being disappointing isn't the whole story. Expectations were way too high anyways. Personally, I'd give him another full season to prove what he's capable of. At the same time, should be about time to risk something for a guy that may be a good d-man later on. But what are the odds?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm not sure what to think. Phaneuf is probably better than anyone available in free agency. At least now we'll have some anticipation again for something that will never happen.

no he's not. i'd rank him behind sekera, martin and error at least.

While I'm thrilled that Holland is willing to CONSIDER moving valuable assets FOR THE RIGHT PLAYER, that player is definitely not Dion Phaneuf and his bloated contract.

Be bold, but be smart.

this.

Maybe we trade for Hamilton or Seabrook?

seabrook could be done (if hawks are willing to move him which i do consider unlikely), hamilton, no, no, no way.

Yep, Mantha is more of Babcock-type player. I don't remember who's in charge at Toronto now...

I think Dustin Byfuglien will be traded 100% sure if not this summer, at next summer. We should go after him. Gives us a Top-pair righty.

byfuglien is also a guy i'd like to go after. take him over phaneuf 10/10. cost is around the same, i'd think, neither is going to be good in 5 years but at least byfuglien is top pairing guy now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
no he's not. i'd rank him behind sekera, martin and error at least.

this.

seabrook could be done (if hawks are willing to move him which i do consider unlikely), hamilton, no, no, no way.

byfuglien is also a guy i'd like to go after. take him over phaneuf 10/10. cost is around the same, i'd think, neither is going to be good in 5 years but at least byfuglien is top pairing guy now.

You have something against the guy who carried Da Broooooins

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
if you mean hamilton, i mean that he's so good that there's no way they trade him to us for any reasonable package. they hang up immediately for something like mantha + 1st.

Ah, Lol id give up alot of our F prospects for Hamilton, Maybe even Larkin..

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
The only D name they've been really talking is Phaneuf, and I wouldn't even want to give up either of those pieces for him, please stay away Holland, you're terrible at trades.

Only way I'm ok with this is if its for a young D with high end potential, in hindsight the Wings probably should have gave up Mantha + for Myers at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad