Speculation: Damien Cox on CBC: Wings willing to move 1st round pick and/or Mantha at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He could just be including the Toronto stuff for hits. Or trying to create a reference point.

Toronto and Phaneuf stuff is for hits and honestly it's the low hanging fruit. Trade came close at the TDL and teams said that dialogue might resume after the season. Something comes out about Mantha (the piece that broke the deal) becoming available? You'd be crazy not to make the connection... particularly when it involves the biggest team in hockey and you're a national hockey guy.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Of course those assets are available if the trade makes sense. I don't see either being moved for Phaneuf. People need to stop posting garbage seen on Twitter.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Maybe he wants to move up into the top ten to draft a defenseman?
Zach Werenski :handclap:

if holland traded mantha and/or the 19th overall pick for phaneuf he should be fired on the spot as he would be in mike milbury territory
There's no way Holland makes that trade. If he was gonna give up that much, it would have been for Yandle or Myers. Someone with a more cap-friendly contract.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
While I'm thrilled that Holland is willing to CONSIDER moving valuable assets FOR THE RIGHT PLAYER, that player is definitely not Dion Phaneuf and his bloated contract.

Be bold, but be smart.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If any of these assets are moving for Dion, it's going to be with significant retention of salary.

But I'm glad to hear they are budging on moving an asset or two of value. The idea that you're going to get anything good dangling Smith and Weiss... yeah.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It's gotta be for someone bigger than Phaneuf and if I keep telling myself that it will come true! Maybe if Hanifin falls to #5...

Sounds like Blash isn't very high on Mantha if we are suddenly willing to deal. With that said I'd easily give up both the 1st and Mantha if it got us a young number 1 dman. Mantha is a great prospect but we have Jurco. Nyquist, Tatar, Pulu, A2 all as guys that project as too much wingers. Yeah big Wingers like Mantha are a harder find but it's not like he is a PF. At best we probably get a Carter or Nash type player. You can without those players, you can't win without a number 1 dman, and I don't see one in the system.

If Holland deals those assets for Phanuef, I hope we all riot. He is not a number 1 and he is signed until he retires. If you can get me a oel, buf, enstrom, myers. Even then I'd be a little leary to give up both, but you have to give to get. Get us a young number 1 d and this team isn't far from competing.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Sounds like Blash isn't very high on Mantha if we are suddenly willing to deal. With that said I'd easily give up both the 1st and Mantha if it got us a young number 1 dman. Mantha is a great prospect but we have Jurco. Nyquist, Tatar, Pulu, A2 all as guys that project as too much wingers. Yeah big Wingers like Mantha are a harder find but it's not like he is a PF. At best we probably get a Carter or Nash type player. You can without those players, you can't win without a number 1 dman, and I don't see one in the system.

If Holland deals those assets for Phanuef, I hope we all riot. He is not a number 1 and he is signed until he retires. If you can get me a oel, buf, enstrom, myers. Even then I'd be a little leary to give up both, but you have to give to get. Get us a young number 1 d and this team isn't far from competing.

Exactly what I thought, or maybe Babcock was the one unwilling to part with Mantha.

IIRC a few teams have said they're willing to move their picks this year, Arizona being the most notable one.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Exactly what I thought, or maybe Babcock was the one unwilling to part with Mantha.

IIRC a few teams have said they're willing to move their picks this year, Arizona being the most notable one.

If we were able to somehow trade for the Coyotes pick, we'd absolutely have to take Hanifin, and laugh all the way to the bank. I do not think that'll happen though.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Blash must not be high on Mantha and told Holland that he shouldn't be an untouchable.

So, sounds like it would be Weiss, Smith and Mantha for Dion.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
If we were able to somehow trade for the Coyotes pick, we'd absolutely have to take Hanifin, and laugh all the way to the bank. I do not think that'll happen though.

Nor do I. This is definitely an interesting development if the information is accurate. This guy always seemed like a hack whenever I saw him on HNIC. How reliable of a source is he? Specifically when reporting rumors that don't involve the Leafs.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I've always found Cox to be a bit of a clickbait troll so I'm not putting too much stock in these rumors.

Anchor Town*

My honest guess is that he's looking at someone like OEL and is going to strike out on it.

Lol, get real, not even close. Not even if you add Larkin and Nyquist/Tatar. Arizona wouldn't do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad