TSN Radio Daly Announced 2016-2017 Cap will Remain Flat - How Does This Impact the Leafs?

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Right now, the teams that look tightest if the cap stays flat for next year are Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Chicago.

Pittsburgh would have a full 22 man roster signed, but are about $2.5m over. Minnesota only has 15 signed and have about $7.5m in cap space. Chicago has 17 signed and about $4.4m in cap space.

I'm hoping we can take advantage of Chicago. We have players on who could come cheap and help fill out their roster (Holland for instance); we could send them Cowen to get them the 750k of extra cap space (I believe it's around there); and we could probably take a cap dump.

In terms of the Leafs:

The Leafs are in good shape cap-wise from what I can see. If we take the Cap Friendly numbers and simply swap Lindberg and Gauthier for Matthews and Marner (not including any bonuses) then we've got 12 forwards; add a million for Zaitsev on our D and we've got 5 defensemen but need to subtract Cowen.

So add a million for Zaitsev; a million for a back-up goalie; 1.5 million for Marincin; and a million for another defenseman = 4.5

Then take Horton and Cowen off the cap = 8.4

It leaves us with a difference of = 3.9 and a total of about 11 million in cap space

That assumes no one is traded or acquired.

edit: I don't know why anyone is talking about the Ducks -- they're a budget team. They're going to be trying to hover probably around 60 million this year. Like Chicago, they're another target for us to acquire talent from.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Cowen was already told last year that he would be bought out in the summer and to prepare himself. I believe he was even told not to bother reporting anywhere. It's pretty much a done deal. You don't need a buyer when you're buying out a player.

Notwithstanding Cowen's situation, the main point still stands. Forest versus trees ...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yea, but all signs point to 0%, the players are saying they aren't bumping it.

All those contracts you mention count until the season starts. So if I get this right, in the off season, we can go up 10%, which is roughly 7mil. So really, we only have our space + 7mil in the off season, and not until the season starts will we get that room back. So really, we cant even fully use it.

We also have positions to fill, so can't act like we are rich with a bunch of holes.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.....

i'm going to have to ask for source links for that claim

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
i'm going to have to ask for source links for that claim

With all complaints about escrow. You want a source for common sense?

Sorry of course you do.

Let's just go with facts. Here's what has happened.

The NHL has said the cap isn't going up based on the work of the accountant agreed to by both sides.

There is an option to artificially inflate it but that hasn't been exercised.

Cap isn't going up unless it is

End story.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
How does one go back on an official statement?

Well I guess if the NHL can lockout the players every time they hit the bargaining table, than they can use a scare tactic to FORCE the NHLPA into using the escalator even though the NHLPA has stated that it planned on holding off for this year and the NHL has put out an "official" statement saying the cap would remain flat from their end.

God I really hate Bettman and his cronies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Well I guess if the NHL can lockout the players every time they hit the bargaining table, than they can use a scare tactic to FORCE the NHLPA into using the escalator even though the NHLPA has stated that it planned on holding off for this year and the NHL has put out an "official" statement saying the cap would remain flat from their end.

Why? because they told the truth? It's not a scare tactic, it's the truth. if the NHLPA don't raise it up - it will drop or remain flat. the players don't have to raise it. in fact I hope they don't.

honestly, I think Bettman gets a lot of unnecessary hate.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

What I don't get is Bettman and his goons are really pushing this World Cup and how great it is for the sport.

Yet, they're predicting the cap to go down the year after they hold it? Will it not bring in hockey related revenue?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This probably means nothing, but if the Leafs are absolutely stellar, and viewership returns, won't that too affect the cap?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
What I don't get is Bettman and his goons are really pushing this World Cup and how great it is for the sport.

Yet, they're predicting the cap to go down the year after they hold it? Will it not bring in hockey related revenue?

the world cup goes towards hockey revenue. so it will go towards the cap.
it's also why they are doing a lot of outdoor games etc. it might be tedious, but it helps w/the increase of money.

but it's also tied into the Canadian dollar, so if our dollar keeps dropping - it will stay flat or go down.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
This probably means nothing, but if the Leafs are absolutely stellar, and viewership returns, won't that too affect the cap?

I believe broadcasting right are negotiated and a contract amount is drawn up which broadcasters pay to own the rights to broadcast. A dip in ratings really only hurts the broadcasting company.

The fluctuations in caps are ticket sales and other non-broadcasting revenues (merchandising, partnership/sponsorship, etc.)

If the Leafs were to make the playoffs, that would affect the cap because you are getting gate receipts from one of the highest-priced tickets in the NHL. The best scenario for the cap is all the highest-grossing teams make the playoffs and the poorly-attended teams see an increase in tickets. Phoenix starting to turn around will be pretty big. If Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton got going and became playoff teams that would be great too.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
the world cup goes towards hockey revenue. so it will go towards the cap.
it's also why they are doing a lot of outdoor games etc. it might be tedious, but it helps w/the increase of money.

but it's also tied into the Canadian dollar, so if our dollar keeps dropping - it will stay flat or go down.

They're predicting over $60M in profits (over $100M in revenues).

Not sure how that is negated by the Canadian Dollar, unless it turned into the peso this year.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They're predicting over $60M in profits (over $100M in revenues).

Not sure how that is negated by the Canadian Dollar, unless it turned into the peso this year.

someone explained it to me but i suck at this part. but basically....
the reason why people thought the cap would be higher - was based on the Strength of the Canadian dollar (which at the time was on Par with the USD). the reason why the cap fell - is because the Canadian dollar dropped.. better CDN dollar = higher cap.

(or a good portion of it anyway).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
someone explained it to me but i suck at this part. but basically....
the reason why people thought the cap would be higher - was based on the Strength of the Canadian dollar (which at the time was on Par with the USD). the reason why the cap fell - is because the Canadian dollar dropped.. better CDN dollar = higher cap.

(or a good portion of it anyway).

some estimate that when the Cad is close to par, the canadian teams are worth 40% of the leagues HRR

when 40% of HRR loses 20%/25% of it value due to a drop in the Cad , ya get what we see now

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
So would the revenue generated from the World Cup be used in the 2017-18 season cap projections? I know it technically starts and finishes before the regular season, but its basically part of the 16-17 season.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
THIS is official.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-gm-meetings-salary-cap-draft-lottery/c-279663424

The GM's have been informed. So why threaten a DROP in salary cap IF the NHLPA DOESN'T use the inflator now?

It's absolutely a low blow if it happens.

IMO drama is drama and right now the media is creating drama not fact.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the cap would stay flat at its current $71.4 million if the NHLPA opts not to trigger an escalator.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
So would the revenue generated from the World Cup be used in the 2017-18 season cap projections? I know it technically starts and finishes before the regular season, but its basically part of the 16-17 season.

That is my question. If it was you'd have a huge bump one year, then a decrease the next.

I wonder if they spread it out over the 4 years.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Yup. Sold the farm for a rental Ladd and are now going to have to replace Shaw with an AHLer. They are pretty much gonna be a 2 line, 2 pairing team at this point. I doubt they'll ever contend for another cup unless they pull a Pens and really catch lightning in a bottle with a ton of ELC callups that play amazing (Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl) and reclamation projects (Schultz, Hagelin) to go along with the stars rising up to the occasion (Kessel) and a hot goalie (Murray).

That's actually what the formula is and how they won their 2nd cup.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm hoping we can take advantage of Chicago. We have players on who could come cheap and help fill out their roster (Holland for instance); we could send them Cowen to get them the 750k of extra cap space (I believe it's around there); and we could probably take a cap dump.

In terms of the Leafs:

The Leafs are in good shape cap-wise from what I can see. If we take the Cap Friendly numbers and simply swap Lindberg and Gauthier for Matthews and Marner (not including any bonuses) then we've got 12 forwards; add a million for Zaitsev on our D and we've got 5 defensemen but need to subtract Cowen.

So add a million for Zaitsev; a million for a back-up goalie; 1.5 million for Marincin; and a million for another defenseman = 4.5

Then take Horton and Cowen off the cap = 8.4

It leaves us with a difference of = 3.9 and a total of about 11 million in cap space

That assumes no one is traded or acquired.

edit: I don't know why anyone is talking about the Ducks -- they're a budget team. They're going to be trying to hover probably around 60 million this year. Like Chicago, they're another target for us to acquire talent from.

Zaitsev is on a 1-yr ELC so his cap hit would be likely the ELC max. $2.85M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad