TSN Radio Daly Announced 2016-2017 Cap will Remain Flat - How Does This Impact the Leafs?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This was just announced on the radio. - the Cap is officially not going up, it will remain flat.

How does this impact the Leafs plans this summer. [not just Stamkos, but in regards to everything else]
can we really make a move to some cap-strapped teams? there are some teams that are going to feel the crunch.

Wow. NHLPA didn't generate an escalator...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wait, so the Leafs are right against the cap too?

Yup

Leafs currently have the 5th highest cap committed for next year and the 5th less cap space as a result with $6,841,506 in free space currently.

Only Pens, Hawks, Blue Jackets and Kings have less cap space then us, while some teams still need to fill out rosters up to the roster max.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Dead weight contracts like Lupul $5.25 mil, Laich $4.5 mil, Michalek at $4 mil, Greening at $2.65 mil and $1.2 mil carrying Kessel for 6 more years are eating up a lot of cap, and that doesn't even include Horton at $5.3 mil and Robidas at $3 mil that allow for recapture is on LTIR.

A flat cap gives the Leafs little wiggle room, and very little opportunity to dump dead weight contracts.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
it really makes you wonder if Lou heard a whistle somewhere. cleared out all that space... now we can be aggressive for some teams and maybe snag a defenseman...

Pens too.

Doubt it. The writing on the wall was pretty clear.

I was talking with One of my best friends who owns a financial company that deals with exchanging currency. He is an expert on the CDN Dollar. He is on CNN, MSNBC, RT, etc. all the time as an expert, or just to give his opinion on the markets and the dollar.

He thinks our dollar will remain flat for at least 3-4 more years. Oil will remain stagnate, and the CDN economy will grow at slower rate than expected.

Does not sound good for the cap at all. I doubt the players will keep propping up.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Yup

Leafs currently have the 5th highest cap committed for next year and the 5th less cap space as a result with $6,841,506 in free space currently.

Only Pens, Hawks, Blue Jackets and Kings have less cap space then us, while some teams still need to fill out rosters up to the roster max.

Dead weight contracts like Lupul $5.25 mil, Laich $4.5 mil, Michalek at $4 mil, Greening at $2.65 mil and $1.2 mil carrying Kessel for 6 more years are eating up a lot of cap, and that doesn't even include Horton at $5.3 mil and Robidas at $3 mil that allow for recapture is on LTIR.

A flat cap gives the Leafs little wiggle room, and very little opportunity to dump dead weight contracts.

Well at least for the Leafs.... relief is coming sooner than later.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Yup

That includes Jared Cowen I believe, you can deduct his salary plus an extra $650K because of the loophole.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That includes Jared Cowen I believe, you can deduct his salary plus an extra $650K because of the loophole.

That is true his is still currently counting but Holland, Marincin, Corrado, Connor Carrick are all RFAs and unsigned and Leafs don't have a backup goalie included either as Sparks is a RFA also at present and all 3 not included in Leafs totals.

So buying out Cowan will create more space to get some RFAs under contract.

Auston Matthews and his $925k base and max bonuses also included shortly in the Leafs cap.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
It does include both Horton and robidas.

Yes, but they also have to be included to start the season.

Wish we had a 100% answer to this. I have posted it on the main forums about 6 months ago, but it just turned into people fighting, so I still don't fully understand how the LTIR works.

Every time I get an answer, someone disputes that person.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
That is true his is still currently counting but Holland, Marincin, Corrado, Connor Carrick are all RFAs and unsigned and Leafs don't have a backup goalie included either as Sparks is a RFA also at present and all 3 not included in Leafs totals.

Doubtful we keep Holland, now.

Doubtful we keep both of Marincin and Corrado.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Leafs have wayyyyy more room than it appears. We're talking over 20M cap space if we wanted it.

2016-17 Salary Cap: 71.4M + 5%(likely to raise only 5%) = 75M

2016-17 Leafs Current Cap Hit: 64.5M (Already have 10.5M to spare with a 20 man roster including Horton/Robidas/Cowen)

Now subtract Horton/Robidas/Cowen: 64.5M - 11.4M = 53.1M (21.9M to spare with a 17 man roster)

Leaving us other contracts such as:

Lupul - 5.25M
Laich - 4.5M
Michalek - 4M
Greening - 2.65M
Bernier - 4.15M

If anyone thinks we're in cap trouble, think again. Not. Even. Close.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

Wish we had a 100% answer to this. I have posted it on the main forums about 6 months ago, but it just turned into people fighting, so I still don't fully understand how the LTIR works.

they count against the cap until before the season starts. But the leafs can go 10% over the cap during the summer. My only concern is on Robidas as we didn't put Robidas on LTIR last year and he didn't play last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

They count in the offseason, but you are also allowed to exceed the cap ceiling by 10% in the offseason also to allow for LTIR situations.

Mad Brills*

Leafs have a good cap situation in 2017 and beyond. They "retained" salary on phaneuf by taking back those 3 deals.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

The point is someone moot, you can drop some waiver-exempt players I believe until LTIR players are placed.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

Auston Matthews and his $925k base and max bonuses also included shortly in the Leafs cap.

Is it me or does it appear they are adding Froese, Lindberg and Gauthier to the cap. They're around league minimums so if sent to the AHL which is likely, none of their cap hit should count??

I can never get a full handle on the calculations.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have a good cap situation in 2017 and beyond. They "retained" salary on phaneuf by taking back those 3 deals.

Michalek and Greening = almost $7 mil cap which is the same as having Dion at $7 mil. Luckily this is only a 1 year problem.

Leafs have to eat $4.5 mil of Laich for this year to get Connor Carrick and 2nd round pick.

Retained Salary on Kessel $1.2 and the buyout of Tim Gleason $1.33 also eating up $2.5 mil in dead cap space also.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is it me or does it appear they are adding Froese, Lindberg and Gauthier to the cap. They're around league minimums so if sent to the AHL which is likely, none of their cap hit should count??

I can never get a full handle on the calculations.

They do (because they were all on the Leafs roster when the season ended), but if you send those 3 down and replace them with Hyman, Soshnikov and Marner on the NHL roster then you increase your cap spending and reduce your cap space so its not really an advantage that they're currently counting as their roster replacements will count even more.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
They do but, if you send those 3 down and replace them with Hyman, Soshnikov and Marner on the NHL roster then you increase your cap spending and reduce your cap space so its not really an advantage that they're currently counting as their roster replacements will count even more.

Looks like they've included Nylanders cap hit but you're right on the other ones. Still adds a few $100K to the cap space they're listed.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
and if the Dats to KHL rumours are true - that's a lot of dead cap for the Wings that they can't move.

That could be good news for us (if we're not getting Stamkos). The draft pick for taking Dat's contract probably just climbed up a little bit today. Second rounder? Maybe, just maybe, first rounder? :yo:

Detroit's #16 would get us a very nice player. It would be a great consolation prize for not getting Stamkos.

I'll stop now.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Leafs have wayyyyy more room than it appears. We're talking over 20M cap space if we wanted it.

2016-17 Salary Cap: 71.4M + 5%(likely to raise only 5%) = 75M

2016-17 Leafs Current Cap Hit: 64.5M (Already have 10.5M to spare with a 20 man roster including Horton/Robidas/Cowen)

Now subtract Horton/Robidas/Cowen: 64.5M - 11.4M = 53.1M (21.9M to spare with a 17 man roster)

Leaving us other contracts such as:

Lupul - 5.25M
Laich - 4.5M
Michalek - 4M
Greening - 2.65M
Bernier - 4.15M

If anyone thinks we're in cap trouble, think again. Not. Even. Close.

Yea, but all signs point to 0%, the players are saying they aren't bumping it.

All those contracts you mention count until the season starts. So if I get this right, in the off season, we can go up 10%, which is roughly 7mil. So really, we only have our space + 7mil in the off season, and not until the season starts will we get that room back. So really, we cant even fully use it.

We also have positions to fill, so can't act like we are rich with a bunch of holes.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like they've included Nylanders cap hit but you're right on the other ones. Still adds a few $100K to the cap space they're listed.

Willy was on the Leafs when the season ended that is why he is included in this years numbers also why the 3 you mentioned are included as well for now.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Yea, but all signs point to 0%, the players are saying they aren't bumping it.

All those contracts you mention count until the season starts. So if I get this right, in the off season, we can go up 10%, which is roughly 7mil. So really, we only have our space + 7mil in the off season, and not until the season starts will we get that room back. So really, we cant even fully use it.

We also have positions to fill, so can't act like we are rich with a bunch of holes.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.....

We're actually in one of the best spots financially we've ever been in with our only real contracts going to Kadri, Rielly, JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Gardiner. That's it. Take any other player on our current roster making over a million dollars and we can bury them/buy them out/trade them/LTIR/Move to europe/etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad