Dalton Prout

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
"Sestito threw off his gloves and went after Dubinsky, prompting Blue Jackets defenseman Dalton Prout – who is more Sestito’s size – to step in front of Dubinsky."

This is why Prout will be in the line up. Who's going to protect all are skilled guy's? You want Boll off the team. I know it's a Saad situation but Calvert can't protect everyone!

You can't have your defenseman as a fighter only. If prout is only going to be used in a protection role then he has no role. Can't have a defenseman sitting in the box for 5 minutes constantly.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
You can't have your defenseman as a fighter only. If prout is only going to be used in a protection role then he has no role. Can't have a defenseman sitting in the box for 5 minutes constantly.

And a player like Boll playing 5-6 minutes won't be on the ice to step in front of Dubinsky when it happens. A player like that just yells insults from the bench and waits to ambush the offender later in the game, which doesn't protect the skill players. They need someone to protect them that can actually be on the ice at the same time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Prout having a hearing for his actions in yesterday's game.

Is it just me or has he become a goon in the past 10 games or so?

He never used to be an "instigator" of physical stuff but lately he seems to me to do so.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They need someone to protect them that can actually be on the ice at the same time.

Ok, then not Prout. He isn't good enough to play enough.

The Jackets are already very fortunate to have guys who can dish it out throughout the lineup, who are also good hockey players. This is a non problem.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Prout having a hearing for his actions in yesterday's game.

Is it just me or has he become a goon in the past 10 games or so?

He never used to be an "instigator" of physical stuff but lately he seems to me to do so.

My assumption -- his contract is up and he knows this is his niche, if it makes a difference. So he's reinforcing it, if not to the CBJ then to whomever.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
For the record, I still like Prout and would be ok if they resigned him as a low cost 6/7 dman.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Fighting aside. Prout is a frustrating guy to watch. He'll make a good pass. He'll stop a player.
Then he'll look lost and out of position and unable to stop anyone

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone who thinks we should retain Prout needs to go back and watch games from the start of the year.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Like most enforcers why not have Prout as the 7th d-man and just dress him when you're playing against another enforcer.
I get it that d-men are too valuable to have in the box 5 minutes a night but at least he's good at that part of his job.
I further get than enforcers are not needed every night but I'd be happy with Prout as 7th d-man.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I hope that the team re-signs just so the main board goes nuts. Is he is starting to venture into dangerous territory though.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The guy is useless, and is doing anything he can to try and increase his value to the team. Problem is you don't waste a D spot on a guy just because he can fight.

I notice Prout every game. IN A BAD WAY!!

He needs to go.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I'm torn. On one side I want him suspended because he is a horrible player. On the other side, I don't want him suspended so I get to hear pens fan whine some more.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I'm torn. On one side I want him suspended because he is a horrible player. On the other side, I don't want him suspended so I get to hear pens fan whine some more.

Even if he still gets suspended, some will still complain about how he could have faced litigious action for dragging Rust out of the crease or he should be kicked out of the league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Even if he still gets suspended, some will still complain about how he could have faced litigious action for dragging Rust out of the crease or he should be kicked out of the league.

Interesting thing is the only reason Rust was in there was Prout knocked him in.

If he is suspended that means we'll have to call someone up. Paliotta could help the draft even more than Prout-or at least not hurt it. Seriously if we need someone I'd like to see Heatherington.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There has been a very definite change in Prout's behavior since he knocked two guys out of the game against Anaheim last month. He definitely is in full thug mode now. And he is pretty darn effective in that role. He definitely throws a punch that can hurt you. Now is that valuable? I guess Torts and Jarmo will have to decide that in the off-season. I have also noticed that he is shooting at the net a lot more than he used to do trying to create rebounds. So I could see him hanging around as a 7-8 d-man who is used in games where the opponent is putting a thug on the ice too.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
There has been a very definite change in Prout's behavior since he knocked two guys out of the game against Anaheim last month. He definitely is in full thug mode now. And he is pretty darn effective in that role. He definitely throws a punch that can hurt you. Now is that valuable? I guess Torts and Jarmo will have to decide that in the off-season. I have also noticed that he is shooting at the net a lot more than he used to do trying to create rebounds. So I could see him hanging around as a 7-8 d-man who is used in games where the opponent is putting a thug on the ice too.

I think this is where I stand as well. You can be sure management sees the same thing everyone else does in regards to his play. You can bet going into the offseason it'll be addressed. I can see them qualifying him for another year, or selling him at the draft if someone offers a mid round pick possibly.

If Prout could tighten his game up even marginally he's a serviceable bottom pairing dman. He seems the type to be willing to put in the work. If Boll is gone next year, he's the CBJ's only heavyweight. If he can play a little defense and not be awful, then he's worth it.

For as much of a goon as he apparently has become, this will be his first suspension. I don't have that much of an issue with what he did either. His Captain was being tag teamed, and he quickly put an end to it.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Interesting thing is the only reason Rust was in there was Prout knocked him in.

If he is suspended that means we'll have to call someone up. Paliotta could help the draft even more than Prout-or at least not hurt it. Seriously if we need someone I'd like to see Heatherington.

Prout: he brought you into this crease, he'll take you out of this crease

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you want to win, you don't play Prout. He's great to watch now, but I hope we can go through all of next year without having a game where we put him out there just for fun like we are now.

He can't "tighten up" his game to improve it, because he doesn't have the hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad