Dalton Prout

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Leafs fan here in peace. Just wanted to know what you guys think of him (scouting report, etc). Would you say he's similar to an Adam McQuaid type of player. Is there any chance your team would trade him, and if so what would his value be?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There's always a price tag on players, and certainly for Prout. Prout made John Moore, who has looked good for the Rangers, expendable all by himself. Sure, you can say Goloubef, Savard, and Murray knocking on the door helped, and it did. But Prout is the main reason in my eyes. It would take alot to get him. He's a great skating, hard hitting ox with a decent first pass out of the zone. Sure, he has some hiccups and his offensive game is non-existent. But he is a prototypical shutdown guy in the league. He improved the play of whoever was his partner. Our price would likely be a top 6 young guy (around the same age) who can score goals. Our guys here at the Dispatch compare him to Shea Weber without the shot, for what its worth. IDK if he's that good or will be that good, but he's a real good player.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
There's always a price tag on players, and certainly for Prout. Prout made John Moore, who has looked good for the Rangers, expendable all by himself. Sure, you can say Goloubef, Savard, and Murray knocking on the door helped, and it did. But Prout is the main reason in my eyes. It would take alot to get him. He's a great skating, hard hitting ox with a decent first pass out of the zone. Sure, he has some hiccups and his offensive game is non-existent. But he is a prototypical shutdown guy in the league. He improved the play of whoever was his partner. Our price would likely be a top 6 young guy (around the same age) who can score goals. Our guys here at the Dispatch compare him to Shea Weber without the shot, for what its worth. IDK if he's that good or will be that good, but he's a real good player.

Yeah, I like him. I saw Don Cherry raving about him and so I paid attention to him the rest of the season. I like what he brings. I also like Savard as well, and we really need a solid another right d in our top 6. As far a young top 6 players, we don't really have a lot of established guys after Kadri. Guys like Kulemin and JVR, though young are sort of vets by now.

I'd say our best young offensive prospects close to the NHL would be Matt Frattin and Joe Colbourne

Matt Frattin, RW/LW, 6'0 200
(Age) 25
(NHL) 25gp 7g 6a 13pts +6 4pim
(Playoffs) 2gp 0g 2a 2pts Even 0pim

Frattin is a young power forward prospect with a great shot, who's solid defensively. He's short but built like a tank. Started off the season well, but got injured and wasn't very good when he came back. He's playing pretty well right now in the playoffs though against the Bruins, using his size and speed to win a lot of puck battles.

Joe Colbourne, C, 6'5 213
(Age) 23
(AHL) 65gp 14g 28a 42pts 53pim +13

Colbourne is a big skilled center who can skate, but doesn't use his size enough to dominate. Solid defensively and he's got a good release, and vision. His release was weak earlier in the year, due to an injury that almost cost him his hand or something, it was pretty scary. But once he regained strength he was shooting it great and got really hot. Has to be less passive though.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I like him. I saw Don Cherry raving about him and so I paid attention to him the rest of the season. I like what he brings. I also like Savard as well, and we really need a solid another right d in our top 6. I know you guys value him quite a bit, but what would a realistic offer from us look like. I know you guys are looking for offensive prospects (as per the main trade board), or do you think they'd move him for picks?

Maybe Savard, not Prout

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

according to Don Cherry hes going to be a force in this league and should have been a boston :laugh:

around the 5min mark.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, I like him. I saw Don Cherry raving about him and so I paid attention to him the rest of the season. I like what he brings. I also like Savard as well, and we really need a solid another right d in our top 6. As far a young top 6 players, we don't really have a lot of established guys after Kadri. Matt Frattin and Joe Colbourne are probably the best of our current bunch. Frattin is a young power forward prospect with a great shot, who's solid defensively. He's short but built like a tank. Started off the season well, but got injured and wasn't very good when he came back. He's playing pretty well right now in the playoffs though against the Bruins, using his size and speed to win a lot of puck battles. Colbourne is a big skilled center who can skate, but doesn't use his size enough to dominate. They're both still young and can develop.

Savard for Frattin might do. Frattin can go on tears sometimes, I don't know why the Leafs would move him. And none of the Leafs forward prospects are going to fetch Prout, I hope not. I don't know what a realistic offer would be, but I'd be opposed to trading him unless it was something like Frattin + a 1st rounder.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Savard for Frattin might do. Frattin can go on tears sometimes, I don't know why the Leafs would move him. And none of the Leafs forward prospects are going to fetch Prout, I hope not. I don't know what a realistic offer would be, but I'd be opposed to trading him unless it was something like Frattin + a 1st rounder.

I think it might hinge on if we get David Clarkson or not. We really do have a lot of wingers and need a right d in the worst way. I really like Frattin to be honest, but you have to give to get, and next to Kadri, he's the only young forward we have with any tangible value.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Kulemin Kadri Lupul
Komarov Grabo ?Clarkson?

Tell me about Savard. I've read good things on him. How's his play in his own end coming along? Is he ready to make the jump full time next year?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I guess you could say he's like McQuaid in the fact he is basically all defense and can be pretty physical. I really hope he can continue to play as he has and get better, so far he has looked much smarter then a guy like McQuaid and skates incredibly well for a guy that size. I'm hoping when he gets a little more confidence he can be more like a better skating Matt Greene. As for trading i wouldn't really like that, he's the type of guy we need on the back end and if he's moved we would eventually be looking for the same type of guy. Savard for Frattin i'd do it a heartbeat, probably have to add a 2nd or atleast a 3rd which i'm not to sure how many people would go for it. Wouldn't hurt my feeling because i can't really picture a scenario where he gets into the lineup so i'm sure there will be a point in time where he is going to be traded and i don't really think he would fetch a ton.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think it might hinge on if we get David Clarkson or not. We really do have a lot of wingers and need a right d in the worst way. I really like Frattin to be honest, but you have to give to get, and next to Kadri, he's the only young forward we have with any tangible value.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Kulemin Kadri Lupul
Komarov Grabo ?Clarkson?

Tell me about Savard. I've read good things on him. How's his play in his own end coming along? Is he ready to make the jump full time next year?

Savard's had a rough year, and in the little chance he had with Columbus this year looked slow and nervous. He's been good in the AHL playoffs so far, though.

If you want him for next year, he'd be most useful as a powerplay guy, but I don't know if his defence would cut it. Savard's not making an upgrade on Kostka and Fraser when it comes to defence, at least not next year. His footspeed is a serious issue, although maybe a trade is exactly what he needs to actually prompt him to work on it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Savard's had a rough year, and in the little chance he had with Columbus this year looked slow and nervous. He's been good in the AHL playoffs so far, though.

If you want him for next year, he'd be most useful as a powerplay guy, but I don't know if his defence would cut it. Savard's not making an upgrade on Kostka and Fraser when it comes to defence, at least not next year. His footspeed is a serious issue, although maybe a trade is exactly what he needs to actually prompt him to work on it.

Thanks for the info. I love Fraser (kind of been our Dalton Prout this year) but Kotska is horriawuful (that's horrible and awful to quote Shaq.)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Leafs fan here in peace. Just wanted to know what you guys think of him (scouting report, etc). Would you say he's similar to an Adam McQuaid type of player. Is there any chance your team would trade him, and if so what would his value be?

It would take a lot to get us to trade Prout, because he brings something to our defense that our other defenders don't. He is big and plays physical.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
I would certainly consider trading Savard to the Leafs, depending on what the potential return was. I'm guessing that more draft picks in return would be weakening us in the short term...unless it was part of a package to trade up draft picks significantly.

Who do you think Toronto would put on the block realistically?

Oh, and in my world Dalton Prout is going nowhere

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't see Dalton Prout going anywhere, anytime soon, personally. He's exactly the type of defenseman that we don't have enough of - the stay at home, no-nonsense, shot blocking type. And he plays on the right side ... this guy, if paired with Ryan Murray, gives the Jackets as good a shutdown pair as they have ever had ... and they are both still very young.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I don't see Dalton Prout going anywhere, anytime soon, personally. He's exactly the type of defenseman that we don't have enough of - the stay at home, no-nonsense, shot blocking type. And he plays on the right side ... this guy, if paired with Ryan Murray, gives the Jackets as good a shutdown pair as they have ever had ... and they are both still very young.
**agree 100%**

thebus2288*

Prouts play is pretty much what we thought we were getting when we signed Commodore to that contract. The only real issue I have with him is sometimes he gets too impatient by the net and decides to chase guys in the corners which can leave a man open out front.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Prouts play is pretty much what we thought we were getting when we signed Commodore to that contract. The only real issue I have with him is sometimes he gets too impatient by the net and decides to chase guys in the corners which can leave a man open out front.

For a 1st year defensemen in the nhl and as a prospect not many people thought would turn into and everyday nhlerand to have that as his only real weakness so far? Seems like a keeper to me

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Prout and Calvert, 2 huge surprises for me this season. I knew these were guys that could play when needed, I had no idea they could be integral parts of a 19-5-5 run.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
is prout gonna be a career 6/7 guy, or could he be a 5/4 guy and play regularly?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Depends on who you talk to. In 2013 he looked lIke he had real potential to be 4 or 5 guy at worst. Last season...well not so much. So if he can focus on hockey and no so much fighting (taking boxing lessons when he should be focusing on getting better in his own end) he could be a solid 4/5. BUT it's more likely he'll be a 5/6 and a solid #7.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Depends on who you talk to. In 2013 he looked lIke he had real potential to be 4 or 5 guy at worst. Last season...well not so much. So if he can focus on hockey and no so much fighting (taking boxing lessons when he should be focusing on getting better in his own end) he could be a solid 4/5. BUT it's more likely he'll be a 5/6 and a solid #7.

:yo: Never seen that description before. :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Consider this Exhibit N of why you need to be really, really patient with young d-men.

Thank god we didn't trade him for Frattin.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
:yo: Never seen that description before. :laugh:

Hahaha one of those guys who could play as a number 6...but in all reality there's better options out there haha. If he can reignite the smart physical play from his rookie season I think he could be good, but he's gonna have to work on it. There's a lot of competition for those final 2 spots on the roster.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
"Sestito threw off his gloves and went after Dubinsky, prompting Blue Jackets defenseman Dalton Prout – who is more Sestito’s size – to step in front of Dubinsky."

This is why Prout will be in the line up. Who's going to protect all are skilled guy's? You want Boll off the team. I know it's a Saad situation but Calvert can't protect everyone!

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
"Sestito threw off his gloves and went after Dubinsky, prompting Blue Jackets defenseman Dalton Prout – who is more Sestito’s size – to step in front of Dubinsky."

This is why Prout will be in the line up. Who's going to protect all are skilled guy's? You want Boll off the team. I know it's a Saad situation but Calvert can't protect everyone!

Dubinsky, Hartnell, and Clarkson all have a history of doing what Prout did in that game. Prout is on this team to be a physical, crease-clearing defenseman, not a deterrent. In fact, I'd say dirty players (Raffi Torres, Chris Pronger, etc.) are more effective than traditional enforcers when it comes to influencing on-ice behavior.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Dubinsky, Hartnell, and Clarkson all have a history of doing what Prout did in that game. Prout is on this team to be a physical, crease-clearing defenseman, not a deterrent. In fact, I'd say dirty players (Raffi Torres, Chris Pronger, etc.) are more effective than traditional enforcers when it comes to influencing on-ice behavior.

I think he can be all of what you listed and he can be effective when he drops the gloves as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad