Post-Game Talk: Dallas Week: not-Redskins @ not-Cowboys, 8pm EST, non-Jerry World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Our OT goal, I have never seen a clearer more obvious goal not called. Could it get any worse. That referee should be drug tested.

People on ludes should not drive. Name the actor who said that.

spa.gif

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Well, the thing I liked the most? One shift of Connolly (around 12:40 left in the 3rd) where he gets the puck 1 against 3, calmly gets into the zone, makes some moves, keeps the puck and waits for his teammates and then they make a play with 2 passes and a shot on goal. So nice to see, I mean - NO ****ING DUMP.

3rd line is working very nice right now.
How about his pass to Schmidt on the doorstep? Connolly is playing some legit good hockey these days. He's more than just an opportunistic finisher.

Curious if he keeps this up whether they just stand pat. At the very least he's beginning to show the sort of scoring-line confidence to where he may figure into their RW plans beyond this season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How about his pass to Schmidt on the doorstep? Connolly is playing some legit good hockey these days. He's more than just an opportunistic finisher.

Curious if he keeps this up whether they just stand pat. At the very least he's beginning to show the sort of scoring-line confidence to where he may figure into their RW plans beyond this season.

He's been money. Very good shot, he's skilled and can skate. Looking like a great pickup today.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Trading Holts is a really dumb idea.

Goalies that perform consistently well over several years is exceedingly rare. Every team has a backup that has potential... don't overlook what we have. Revisit it in 2-3 more years when Holtby's contract is up...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's just such a stupid idea that no real brain cells should be put to use in telling you why it's stupid. Snarkiness is probably more than the proposal deserves, so be thankful you're getting a response at all.

Except it's not, hence you being unable to articulate why and dropping yet more snark that you think is witty for some reason instead. It's a really transparent preteen tactic, just make sure to roll your eyes and say "omg I can't even I just can't" for maximum effect.

Grubauer is pacing just like Murray and Jones, who were both good enough for cup final berths. Caps are facing a cap crunch and hard decisions, Holtby has a high cap hit, high trade value and hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs. Grubauer can provide close to the same level of play, probably even better if he's given a freaking chance to start consistently. If they don't win this year then they need to start making those kinds of high risk high reward moves or it's just a slow burn into oblivion like the Vancouver Canucks.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Let's not trade Holtby.

Would be open to it in the offseason to someplace like Winnipeg for a ransom+one of their goalies for the expansion draft IF we win the cup.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One aspect of the discussion, is Mitch Korn. Shouldn't we expect he has been working a TON with Grubs, slowly improving his play to a level that will eventually start to approach Holtby? I know he cannot be expected to work miracles, but he is widely respected as a stud G coach.

At the root of any debate is not Holtby, its Grubby. What do we have here? Is he the best backup goalie in the league? If so, is it being a good GM to watch George pluck him?

I will entertain Holtby trade talk more enthusiastically if he somehow manages to get out dueled again.

Jun 15, 2007
I'll humour you.

Provided we 1) Win the cup this season 2) Some team offers ridiculous overpayment

then yes, I would be open to trading Holtby.

The reality with goalies is, unless you're Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy, goalies are remarkably inconsistent from season to season. Tim Thomas wasn't an NHL starter until age 32 and he won 2 Vezinas. Our very own Jim Carey went from Vezina winner to nothing overnight. Cam Ward peaked winning a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe his rookie season and has been mediocre ever since. Dwayne Roloson was a career backup until his magical playoffs with Edmonton and returned to backup status until another magical run with the Lightning 6 years later.

Carey Price was an average starter for most of his career until 2014. Now he's back to being an average starter.

My point is, the history of the NHL is littered with inconsistent goalies. Holtby may yet prove to be one. So there is merit to the idea of trading Holtby. That doesn't mean jettisoning him for scraps.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I'll humour you.

Provided we 1) Win the cup this season 2) Some team offers ridiculous overpayment

then yes, I would be open to trading Holtby.

The reality with goalies is, unless you're Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy, goalies are remarkably inconsistent from season to season. Tim Thomas wasn't an NHL starter until age 32 and he won 2 Vezinas. Our very own Jim Carey went from Vezina winner to nothing overnight. Cam Ward peaked winning a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe his rookie season and has been mediocre ever since. Dwayne Roloson was a career backup until his magical playoffs with Edmonton and returned to backup status until another magical run with the Lightning 6 years later.

Carey Price was an average starter for most of his career until 2014. Now he's back to being an average starter.

My point is, the history of the NHL is littered with inconsistent goalies. Holtby may yet prove to be one. So there is merit to the idea of trading Holtby. That doesn't mean jettisoning him for scraps.

I know you are just conversing here, but the bolded statement is exactly why hanging onto Holtby for now makes all kinds of sense. He's not on a ridiculously high priced or long deal. He's playing consistently good hockey. All those together are rare.

However, I agree that no one is off the table. I just depends on what kind of offer they throw our way. Also, if we win the cup this year, AND Grubby ends up playing some in the playoffs, looking good.... then sure, who knows...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Except it's not, hence you being unable to articulate why and dropping yet more snark that you think is witty for some reason instead. It's a really transparent preteen tactic, just make sure to roll your eyes and say "omg I can't even I just can't" for maximum effect.

Grubauer is pacing just like Murray and Jones, who were both good enough for cup final berths. Caps are facing a cap crunch and hard decisions, Holtby has a high cap hit, high trade value and hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs. Grubauer can provide close to the same level of play, probably even better if he's given a freaking chance to start consistently. If they don't win this year then they need to start making those kinds of high risk high reward moves or it's just a slow burn into oblivion like the Vancouver Canucks.

Here we go again. You have been consistently shown that Holtby has been one of the best playoff performers yet you keep repeating this nonsense about his playoff abilities. And his cap hit is 6th in the league among goaltenders although one can argue he's delivering at a #1 level yet again, thus outperforming his contract.

Meanwhile, you want to gamble and see if Grubauer can step right into a workhorse starting role with experience in just 54 NHL games including one appearance in the playoffs. On a team trying to win the Cup now. As opposed to a Vezina goaltender with about 6 times as much NHL experience including 46 playoff games in which he has a .937 save% and a GAA of 1.87.

It's a ridiculous idea and IMO it just derails these threads because it's so outside of the realm of possibility or reason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Phillip Grubauer has not started 2 games in a row in 3 years. He also has not started more than 1 game in any 3-day stretch since that. In a league filled with 4-game week schedules, is that really the guy you want as your starting goalie? Recently his only (even a 2-game stretch) in short amount of time is when he blanked Philly and then played 25 minutes in relief of Holtby against Penguins. .727 SV% there. That being said, Grubauer is a good backup.

Not many guys in the league i'd do that trade for. Off the top of my head to even start considering this it'd take either Oliver Ekman-Larsson or TJ Brodie + Sam Bennett.

Neither of those teams are crazy enough to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad