Dallas Visit

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
Hi,

I’m flying out to Dallas on 28th Feb from the UK to go to attend the Stars games against Jets and Sharks. I’ve been a Stars fan for over 20 years and I’m very excited to finally get to see the Stars in person.

Having never been to Dallas before I’m looking for a few tips if possible, both for what to expect at the game and about the city itself.

Ahead of the games, where is the best place to head to meet other Stars fans, and any recommendations for when to get to the arena etc? I’m in block 107 for the Jets game and 108 for the Sharks game. I already know all the words to Friends in Low Places, and know when I need to shout ‘Stars’ in the national anthem!

I’m staying in Downtown Dallas I’d like to know what bars/restaurants etc are worth a visit. Are there any places/areas to avoid? I’ve heard contrasting views about Deep Ellum, is it worth heading there to some of the bars?

Also, if there are any particular attractions that are worth a visit I’d appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
perot is nice, so is the dallas aquarium. 6th floor museum is good if you're interested in the jfk assassination.
I’m staying near the aquarium so it was one that is on the list!

If you want the whole classic Texas experience go to the stockyards in Fort Worth and see some amateur bull riding at Billy Bob’s. It’ll be what you want to tell your friends about when you get home
This is a must for me. Cant travel 5000 miles and not get that experience.

Reactions: LokiDog

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If you're staying near the Aquarium everything will be generally walkable (excepting Fort Worth of course).

I'd recommend on one of the days if you have time taking a detour north and walking toward the Arts district. The DMA and Nasher are both top notch museums and the area is just nice even if you don't pay admission to go inside. Then cross over Woodall Rogers at Klyde Warren Park; there's a Mi Cocina there and various food trucks around the border. If the weather's nice you could just hang out there for a while. You'll find Stars fans at Happiest Hour, Katy Trail Ice House, and El Fenix just to name a few over on the Uptown/Victory Park side as you make your way toward the AAC. If you're outgoing/willing to break the ice I'm sure anyone wearing green will be fascinated by a visiting English Stars fan and take you under their wing.

I would indeed carve out time to go to Deep Ellum if you want to see some of Dallas' actual history and character beyond all of the modern shiny stuff. Don't walk that though, grab an uber. Also I wouldn't stay super late until bars close, can get a little sketchy the longer you stretch it, depends on the day of the week too.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Assuming you've not been to Dallas or Texas before, alternating Tex-Mex and barbecue should be the meal priorities. Probably a steak or burger as well because our beef is special. You will shave a couple of years off of your life, but it's worth it. For sure, make sure to find some good breakfast tacos one day to fully understand what happiness is.

Dallas is a strange place for tourism because we have no natural beauty to show off. Our one bit of history to show anyone is the site where a president finally got it through his head we didn't like him. We have good museums, but when you're coming from Europe, I'd not spend much time with museums.

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
If you're staying near the Aquarium everything will be generally walkable (excepting Fort Worth of course).

I'd recommend on one of the days if you have time taking a detour north and walking toward the Arts district. The DMA and Nasher are both top notch museums and the area is just nice even if you don't pay admission to go inside. Then cross over Woodall Rogers at Klyde Warren Park; there's a Mi Cocina there and various food trucks around the border. If the weather's nice you could just hang out there for a while. You'll find Stars fans at Happiest Hour, Katy Trail Ice House, and El Fenix just to name a few over on the Uptown/Victory Park side as you make your way toward the AAC. If you're outgoing/willing to break the ice I'm sure anyone wearing green will be fascinated by a visiting English Stars fan and take you under their wing.

I would indeed carve out time to go to Deep Ellum if you want to see some of Dallas' actual history and character beyond all of the modern shiny stuff. Don't walk that though, grab an uber. Also I wouldn't stay super late until bars close, can get a little sketchy the longer you stretch it, depends on the day of the week too.
That’s super helpful, thank you! Katy Ice Trail has peaked my intrigue. The wife is called Katy, so a souvenir from there may go down a treat.

Last edited:

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
Assuming you've not been to Dallas or Texas before, alternating Tex-Mex and barbecue should be the meal priorities. Probably a steak or burger as well because our beef is special. You will shave a couple of years off of your life, but it's worth it. For sure, make sure to find some good breakfast tacos one day to fully understand what happiness is.

Dallas is a strange place for tourism because we have no natural beauty to show off. Our one bit of history to show anyone is the site where a president finally got it through his head we didn't like him. We have good museums, but when you're coming from Europe, I'd not spend much time with museums.
Definitely need to get to a steakhouse while I’m around!

As I’m staying in Downtown I’m not a million miles from the JFK site, so I’ll take a stroll down there, but I won’t bother with the museum for that.

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
Also, random question, are Victor E Green teddies a thing? My daughter is fascinated with him and is desperate for me to bring her a teddy home. I can’t see them listed on The Hanger site, so wasn’t sure if they were a thing or not.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
If you want the whole classic Texas experience go to the stockyards in Fort Worth and see some amateur bull riding at Billy Bob’s. It’ll be what you want to tell your friends about when you get home
And then stop at Rodeo Goat while you're out there

Reactions: Gazmundo

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, random question, are Victor E Green teddies a thing? My daughter is fascinated with him and is desperate for me to bring her a teddy home. I can’t see them listed on The Hanger site, so wasn’t sure if they were a thing or not.

They sell them on Amazon as well.

It is a bit odd this isn't available via The Hangar or the official NHL shop.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
One place you must go to for dinner … Terry’s Blacks BBQ. Definitely our favourite place to eat in Dallas whenever we go down.

I know someone mentioned it already, but definitely go visit Stockyards for the day. I believe it’s up in Forth Worth, about a 45 minute drive (from what I can recall) from downtown Dallas.

A tradition i’ve adapted over the years is going to El Fenix before the game. A lot of Stars fans tend to do the same so you get a nice little crowd of Victory Green going on in the restaurant, plus the food is not bad. Another good thing is if you have a car, parking just out front of El Fenix is probably the cheapest & closest spot to park while being walking distance from the AAC. Super cheap lmao.

Lastly, I would keep an eye out for the Stars practice schedule on their website. You can go catch the Stars practice up close and it’s a perfect opportunity to maybe even make a sign stating you’re from the UK and have been a fan for over 20 years. You never know. At the practice facility they also have a pretty big souvenir shop, and they sell game used gear from the players.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Like others, I'd recommend the Stockyards (Billy Bob's is one stop that is a must) for a day trip.

From Downtown Dallas, you can take the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) all the way to downtown Fort Worth and then catch a very quick Uber to the stockyards. Going to be much cheaper than ubering from Dallas.

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK

They sell them on Amazon as well.

It is a bit odd this isn't available via The Hangar or the official NHL shop.
Fab, thank you! Will pick one up from the link.

One place you must go to for dinner … Terry’s Blacks BBQ. Definitely our favourite place to eat in Dallas whenever we go down.

I know someone mentioned it already, but definitely go visit Stockyards for the day. I believe it’s up in Forth Worth, about a 45 minute drive (from what I can recall) from downtown Dallas.

A tradition i’ve adapted over the years is going to El Fenix before the game. A lot of Stars fans tend to do the same so you get a nice little crowd of Victory Green going on in the restaurant, plus the food is not bad. Another good thing is if you have a car, parking just out front of El Fenix is probably the cheapest & closest spot to park while being walking distance from the AAC. Super cheap lmao.

Lastly, I would keep an eye out for the Stars practice schedule on their website. You can go catch the Stars practice up close and it’s a perfect opportunity to maybe even make a sign stating you’re from the UK and have been a fan for over 20 years. You never know. At the practice facility they also have a pretty big souvenir shop, and they sell game used gear from the players.
Was hoping that we would have a day where I could get to a practice if possible. How far in advance do they usually release the schedule?

Like others, I'd recommend the Stockyards (Billy Bob's is one stop that is a must) for a day trip.

From Downtown Dallas, you can take the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) all the way to downtown Fort Worth and then catch a very quick Uber to the stockyards. Going to be much cheaper than ubering from Dallas.
That’s super helpful, thank you. Will definitely take that route.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Was hoping that we would have a day where I could get to a practice if possible. How far in advance do they usually release the schedule?

They usually release it the week of. You will definitely be able to catch one practice for the stretch of days you’ll be there for. Possibly even two if you wanted. I’d assume they’d have a practice on 28th and the 1st of March.

Gazmundo

Feb 11, 2024
Wrexham, UK
They usually release it the week of. You will definitely be able to catch one practice for the stretch of days you’ll be there for. Possibly even two if you wanted. I’d assume they’d have a practice on 28th and the 1st of March.
Brilliant. I will likely miss 28th practice as I don’t land at DFW until 2pm, but hoping there will be a practice on 1st March!

Reactions: MBTendy

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Brilliant. I will likely miss 28th practice as I don’t land at DFW until 2pm, but hoping there will be a practice on 1st March!
Enjoy man! Dallas is a great city.

I remember my first time visiting Dallas and attending a Stars game after being a fan for over 15 years. I had goosebumps the entire trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad