Proposal: Dallas Re-tool

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I saw someone calling for a fire sale, and thought of an alternative --- what do you guys think?

Dallas trades their 1st and Heiskanen to Montreal for Montreal's 2019 1st, Max Pacioretty, (50% retained), Andrew Shaw (20% retained - 3.1m), Paul Byron, Charlie Lindgren and a second round pick.

Dallas can choose to keep Shaw, or move him for another second round + pick. Byron, for his cost, is a no-brainer.

Trade Spezza to anyone who will take him for draft picks.

With the moving of Spezza, and the UFA release of Hamhuis, Roussel and Lehtonen, the Stars would have close to 18.5m to play with, not accounting for new deals for Elie, Janmark and Smith.

Trade your 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd, and 2019 3rd to Calgary for Brodie.

Sign Kovalchuk to a 5x2

Sign Neal to 5x5

Get Nuke to come back from Russia

Benn/Seguin/Neal
Pacioretty/Hanzal/Radulov (They have chemistry from Montreal)
Kovalchuk/Faksa/Nuke
Byron/Janmark/Shaw

Methot/Klingberg
Brodie/Honka
Lindell/Pateryn.

Bishop
Lindgren

Methot and Pacioretty expire at the same time, same with Seguin who is due for a large raise. Presumably, they let Methot walk and re-sign Max and Seguin giving them an insanely strong top 6.

That roster can easily contend for a cup, has a great top 6, and a super flexible cap with cheap goaltending, Klingberg locked up on a sweetheart deal (expiring at the same time as Radulov), and Kovalchuk expiring in 2, Hanzal in 3.

They get to fix their weakest point (secondary scoring) with the additions of Pacioretty, Kovalchuk, Nuke and Neal, and they also get a solid LD.

They get one second round pick this year, and two firsts next year. Moving Shaw, Shore and Pitlick would also bring in some more picks to help restock the cupboards while contending for a few seasons.

Thoughts?

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
As a Habs fan whose western team is the Stars I do not want to see Vanisheretty or Shawful on the Stars. Vanisheretty doesn’t turn up in the PO (and hardly at all during this season) and Shaw has had a lot of concussions who potentially shouldn’t come back this season. Only one from the Habs I’d be happy to trade to the Stars is Gallagher but I just love him as I like players who put effort in

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Shame on you

Montreal reject this trade
Garbage proposal
I love people overhyping prospects
people make it sound like Heiskanen is a future Macdavid
lmfao

He's probably the best D-prospect right now outside the NHL and 2nd in potential behind Dahlin.

The guy's playing 26mins in a pro league and a total game changer.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Dallas is in such limbo IMO. They have a lot of good young pieces but a lot of pieces that if they wait a few years, it's really bad diminishing returns. Spezza is getting old, they still don't have a solution in net, Benn likely declines in two years before they are ready to win anything , Seguin will need a huge raise, the defense still isn't solidified.

Not saying Benn or seguin should be traded but they should definitely clear spezza if they can for a max return, maybe even radulov, because he holds no near term value to them over what he can return in a trade. Hell, even he turns 32 this summer

Reactions: haveandare

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Montreal trade is a ****ing joke. Absolutely delusional.

I also can't figure out why Habs fans are so certain Andrew Shaw is some kind of hot commodity. Just because you guys overpaid for him--in the trade with Chicago, and then with his extension--doesn't mean he holds significant value. Jesus.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Two 2nd's and a 3rd? I think we'll keep Brodie around the C of red, I think Dallas holds onto Miro, he's a dynamite d prospect, as a Flames fan who wants to keep Valimaki, I'd think Dallas wants to keep Miro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad