• I’m indifferent

Votes: 15 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Not at all. I am pointing out that there’s no actual reason, historically speaking, to think a different AHL coach is the automatic “I win” button people are acting like it is. All the “all we need is ANY different coach and we are a playoff team” is not supported by the facts IMO.
It's quite possible the next guy won't be any good either, and won't be the guy for us long term. But we do know Eakins definitely isn't the guy. So I see no reason to extend this misery. If we have to fire the next guy a few years down the road, so be it.

I like the guy a lot, and hope he can find a job somewhere doing what he does best, even in this organization somewhere, But you simply can't just extend him because you're not sure if who comes next will be successful or not.

This is not an attack against you, but the only ‘intriguing’ options are AHL coaches with little experience? None of those options are particularly exciting

Just stick with him for another year, potentially draft Misa, and build from there (again)
Misa isn't eligible to be drafted until 2025.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well, of course, nothing is automatic. It's sports. Bad decisions are always going to be made. But this man has proven he has way too many warts to continue on with him. He's not taking these guys anywhere and if you don't keep marginal players, there's no reason to keep a marginal coach. It's a business. What have you done for me lately? In the case of Eakins it's what have you ever done in your career? Time to move on.

Our defense is infested with a lot of marginal players acquired by Verbeek: Vaaks, White, Klingberg, Kulikov, and Beaulieu. Strome and Vatrano brought offense, but they also brought a lack of defense with their -29 and -28 rating, respectively. Verbeek snatched up Leason and Megna off of waivers, but passed upon Tolvanen.
Ducks​
2021-22​
Games​
GM​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Games​
W​
L​
OTL​
Pts​
Point share​
All Games​
Total​
232​
271​
-39​
82​
31​
37​
14​
72​
0.439​
Gm 1 to 48​
Non-Verbeek​
141​
137​
4​
48​
23​
21​
9​
55​
0.573​
Gm 49 to 82​
Verbeek​
91​
134​
-43​
34​
8​
21​
5​
17​
0.250​

Verbeek surely knows how to takeaway talent and replace it with marginal talent. He didn't do a great job in the 2022 summer.

I see what Eakins has done when given a lot of healthy talent. But I don't believe many on here comprehend the beyond shit roster Verbeek has assembled for 2022-23 season. Anaheim should have the worst record by a long mile because we have the fewest RW (regulation wins), worst GA, and worst GD, but we're in the tank thread counting points to see if we might finish 4th worst record. Too many were scared we would win b/c Eakins' group doesn't give up. I've said this often throughout the season, we're a shit roster that overachieves.

We've seen teams quit on coaches often. Carlyle had players quit on him.

Eakins' tenure with the Ducks:
2019-20: Finished 5th worst. Year 1 of Murray rebuild. (TDL: lost Kase and Ritchie)
2020-21: Finished 2nd worst.
2021-22: Finished 10th worst. (see the splits table above for Non-Verbeek vs Verbeek) Reset rebuild.
2022-23: Finish bottom-3. Year 1 of Verbeek reset rebuild.

Players haven't quit on Eakins, as shared in Stephens article from old vets like Rico and Fowler to a rookie like McTavish.

People forget that when Verbeek took over the Ducks, Anaheim was 3rd in the Pacific.

====

Blashill's name comes up because of the Red Wings-Verbeek connection. Blashill was kept around until the team was ready to take the next step, which was three years later under GM Yzerman.

I think Verbeek has pegged Matt McIlvane to be his future NHL head coach. McIlvane isn't a retread of a former NHL/AHL coach. Yet, McIlvane still needs to prove himself at the AHL level first. Anaheim is waiting for its blueliners to develop, which is still two more years. In those two years, McIlvane will have two years worth of coaching in the AHL and a grasp on a lot of the Ducks young prospects. He can growth with them at the NHL level.

I know Terry, Z, McTavish, and Jones continued to progress despite having far fewer talent around them. Fowler hit his new career high in scoring for the second season in a row. Rico has been stellar after being waived two seasons ago. Benoit has incrementally improved his defensive game. Vatrano hit a new career high in scoring with the Ducks. The two youths who took steps backwards are Lundy (could be injury related) and Drysdale (injury related b/c he missed the season). That's most of our talented players, which means we're missing a whole helluva lot of talent on the team. You can't make lemonade with only lemons.

At least with the devil I know in Eakins, the talented players will keep producing and/or improving. Eakins will set up McIlvane perfectly in three years.

But if we're to replace Eakins, then it better be for a known product. I don't want to gamble on a "Bouchard" with our youths burgeoning onto the NHL ranks. What coach is willing to be plug coach? Eakins is an exception since he's grown with these players and org. I just don't want our players quitting on a coach next year as it could truly hamper our youths. I already seen what has happened for the past two seasons in the AHL.

Reactions: MCB

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Nice article/interview. It does sound like he understands his head coaching days here are likely over after tomorrow.
What's interesting: he says he'd be willing to take a different capacity as long as he can stay in this organisation. I think our owners and mgmt would welcome that too. That is so cool, I think most of us think highly of Eakins as a person and as someone around our young core, perhaps not as much for his coaching. If it comes to getting a new coach, I'd absolutely love to have Eakins stay at some role in the org. He's a great man, IMO. And it seems he still has a lot to give to this org.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Nice article/interview. It does sound like he understands his head coaching days here are likely over after tomorrow.
What's interesting: he says he'd be willing to take a different capacity as long as he can stay in this organisation. I think our owners and mgmt would welcome that too. That is so cool, I think most of us think highly of Eakins as a person and as someone around our young core, perhaps not as much for his coaching. If it comes to getting a new coach, I'd absolutely love to have Eakins stay at some role in the org. He's a great man, IMO. And it seems he still has a lot to give to this org.

Yeah it's certainly nothing personal when I say that I'd want the Ducks to go in a different direction. He seems like a great guy and I wish him all the best. I would be very happy if he landed back with the Gulls and continued to help develop young players for this organization. For his sake I hope there's an NHL job somewhere.

Reactions: Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I would love to have him around in a player development position but after a year like this we need someone different behind the bench

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I would love to have him around in a player development position but after a year like this we need someone different behind the bench

I'd love Eakins to be the director of player dev. Introduce all the draftees and touch base with all of them. Marchant was great at his job (dir of player dev) that Thrun had the Sharks as one of his trade destinations.

As for the year like this, I thought COVID season was just as bad. We were missing Lindholm and Manson a lot that year. Lindholm played 18 games and Manson played 23 games. They were on the ice together for only 2 games out of 56, iirc.

This is different such that we really were lacking defensive talent with our new talents at both the forwards (Strome -29, Vatrano -28, Leason -21) and defense (White -18, Klingberg -28, Kulikov -11, Beaulieu -23, and Vaaks -16). I can't put that on Eakins b/c pre-TDL 2021-22 happened. Remember, Lindholm was a +0 while his defensive partner, rookie Drysdale finished -26. Even Manson was a +0 last year.

19-year old rookie forward McTavish has a -19 rating while being fourth in scoring on the team is playing better defensively than many of the Verbeek new acquisitions. It's apparent, the team was supplied with enough better talent.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think he'd be good in some player development type role.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks just finished dead last in the standings for 1st time in franchise history with Eakins as coach :cry:
Ducks hold the record for most shots allowed in a season with Eakins as coach :cry:
Ducks hold the record for the worst power play ever in a season with Eakins as coach :cry:

I want Eakins gone want him far away from the Ducks franchise.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Ducks just finished dead last in the standings for 1st time in franchise history with Eakins as coach :cry:
Ducks hold the record for most shots allowed in a season with Eakins as coach :cry:
Ducks hold the record for the worst power play ever in a season with Eakins as coach :cry:

This alone is why he needs to go bye bye..

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

Add that they finished the season losing 13 straight.

Keeping him after 4 terrible years signals to the league, the fans, other players that the Ducks embrace mediocrity.

The dude has like a .418% in his 4 seasons with the Ducks. They haven’t sniffed the playoffs under him. The defense is the WORST in hockey.

I don’t care if he’s a nice guy or supposedly good at player development. These 4 years are some of the worst Ducks hockey in franchise history. He’s got to go and I’ll seriously question PV if he keeps him.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
He managed a 13 game losing streak to get us the best odds at Bedard. Fantastic job hopefully we give him a development role within the org

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Add that they finished the season losing 13 straight.

Keeping him after 4 terrible years signals to the league, the fans, other players that the Ducks embrace mediocrity.

The dude has like a .418% in his 4 seasons with the Ducks. They haven’t sniffed the playoffs under him. The defense is the WORST in hockey.

I don’t care if he’s a nice guy or supposedly good at player development. These 4 years are some of the worst Ducks hockey in franchise history. He’s got to go and I’ll seriously question PV if he keeps him.
These horrible seasons for the Ducks have come at some of the worst possible times for me don't have much that is bringing me happiness nowadays. If he keeps Eakins I will want PV gone.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
He's going to be fired this summer. The decision was made earlier this year. They're looking for a more authoritative figure for their youth. Don't believe me? I'll quote you when it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad