• I’m indifferent

Votes: 15 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This year sounds like Eakins was set up to fail via the roster. People forget that Verbeek reset the rebuild in the 2021-22 TDL.
Nope. He was set up to have a weak team. But not to fail to the extent that he has. It takes a "special" coach to have a team play as badly as the Ducks have done this year.

He has failed, badly, with two NHL teams. While they may have been bad teams, they were not as bad as the finishes that they had. I certainly didn't feel sorry when Randy moved on, and I don't feel sorry when he moves on. This is a case of out with the old, regardless of the new.

My conclusion is that he is not an NHL quality coach. There is nothing wrong with that in the general scheme of life. Not everyone is, and not every coach will be successful at the NHL level. That doesn't make him a bad person. It just makes him suitable for another occupation in life. It is time for him to take the money he has hopefully saved and move on in his life.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He has now coached a team that holds the NHL record for most shots allowed in a season. I wish he was gone earlier in the season and this makes me want him gone so much more.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If it's not another year of stringing him along with us, it should probably be his last game ever. Should be an AHL or an assistant coach specifically for integrating young players on a team with a real coach.

I think he can land a NHL gig somewhere down the road. A rebuilding team looking for player development. He has done pretty well with that.

The roster has been a big issue with our lack of scoring, and the PP coaching. Verbeek has not helped him with those two areas. I don’t like his system but the lack of depth on D has been one of the main reasons for our woes this season.

Can tell you this , if David Quinn was able to land another gig, so can Eakins.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
I think he can land a NHL gig somewhere down the road. A rebuilding team looking for player development. He has done pretty well with that.

The roster has been a big issue with our lack of scoring, and the PP coaching. Verbeek has not helped him with those two areas. I don’t like his system but the lack of depth on D has been one of the main reasons for our woes this season.

Can tell you this , if David Quinn was able to land another gig, so can Eakins.
He doesn't deserve it and whoever hires him can do better but I wouldn't be shocked if he got hired and coached a .500 team 3-5 years from now. I'm of the opinion we're paying for a nice AHL coaches' retirement fund in exchange for being a tank commander/placeholder.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don’t need someone with NHL championship pedigree at this point. We need to just try someone else and I think that will be done this offseason

It seems like there are some strong candidates out there. Brunette I'd think would have to be considered by any team with a HC opening right now. Carberry, Leach and Warsofsky sound pretty intriguing.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
So the big question, will tomorrow’s game be Eakins last?

I think so. If I am PV, how to I sell tickets to fans if I'm keeping a coach whose contact is up and his team defensively is one of the worst in history?

The Ducks have most of their young core after this draft. It's time to start pushing for .500 hockey next season and playoffs the year after with a new coach and system.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So the big question, will tomorrow’s game be Eakins last?
I sure hope so. He needs to go. You shouldn't (cant?) be allowed to continue to coach what is by all accounts a complete dumpster fire. He has set two non sought after records during his tenure with the Ducks as well as watching the team be one of the worst in hockey. And this is after his terrible tenure with the Oil. Dudes got to go.

If PV brings him back, PV is saying he is ok with tanking or worse mediocrity.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

It seems like there are some strong candidates out there. Brunette I'd think would have to be considered by any team with a HC opening right now. Carberry, Leach and Warsofsky sound pretty intriguing.
No mention of Madden for GM openings. Good news.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nope. He was set up to have a weak team. But not to fail to the extent that he has. It takes a "special" coach to have a team play as badly as the Ducks have done this year.

He has failed, badly, with two NHL teams. While they may have been bad teams, they were not as bad as the finishes that they had. I certainly didn't feel sorry when Randy moved on, and I don't feel sorry when he moves on. This is a case of out with the old, regardless of the new.

My conclusion is that he is not an NHL quality coach. There is nothing wrong with that in the general scheme of life. Not everyone is, and not every coach will be successful at the NHL level. That doesn't make him a bad person. It just makes him suitable for another occupation in life. It is time for him to take the money he has hopefully saved and move on in his life.

Let's begin by me stating, once again, I'm indifferent if we keep or lose Eakins b/c he's just a placeholder for new GM Verbeek.

Unfortunately, I've been tracking the Ducks in-depth for the past few years. Just because you couldn't imagine this team being this bad doesn't mean that the team could be doing better.

This reminds me of watching THN's first quarter review of the Ducks between two broadcasters. One of them started citing the acquisitions of "Strome, Vatrano, Klingberg, and Kulikov" to believe the Ducks would be a playoff team this year. The other guy said the team was in a rebuild and didn't believe in Klingberg, iirc.

I just keep hearing surface, narrative reasonings for many bashing Eakins. Eakins was tapped to be the head coach for two rebuilding teams... technically, three rebuilding teams since Verbeek reset the rebuild. But here's where narrative fails...

2020-21: Finished 2nd.​
2021 Summer: No outside talent added.​
2021-22, Verbeek was hired: The Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific at All-Star break, a playoff position. (48GP, 23-16-9, 55 pts)​
2021-22, Finished: After TDL, finished 10th. not a playoffs position. (34GP, 8-21-5, 21 pts)​
2022 Summer: Added D White, RW Vatrano, C Strome, D Klingberg, D Kulikov, D Beaulieu​
2022-23: Finish in the bottom-3.​

How do you explain 2021-22 season? That dispels your narrative that Eakins can't engineer a potential playoff push.

Ducks2021-22
GamesGMGFGAGDGamesWLOTLPtsPoint share
All GamesTotal
232​
271​
-39​
82​
31​
37​
14​
72​
0.439​
Gm 49 to 82Verbeek
91​
134​
-43​
34​
8​
21​
5​
17​
0.250​
Gm 1 to 48Non-Verbeek
141​
137​
4​
48​
23​
16​
9​
55​
0.573​

It's not Eakins' fault that new GM Verbeek couldn't find proper defensive replacements for Lindholm and Manson as well as lose the physicality of Des. Verbeek could have kept Milano, but didn't. Verbeek picked up waivers Leason and Megna, but didn't try to pick up Tolvanen off of waivers?

I'm not advocating on keeping or getting rid of Eakins. I'm just putting down the narrative fires and giving Eakins credit. Randy got fired b/c he lost the team. Eakins has yet to lose the team. A poster keeps bringing up the worst PP% (COVID season), but the PP is not Eakins' responsibility and GM Murray took responsibility for that since those assistant coaches were from Randy's regime. Can Eakins lead a team to the playoffs? Sure, if he has top talent and talent depth, which 2021-22 season start proved. Verbeek sat on his hands knowing Manson was on IR for a long while, not helping the NHL club when Verbeek became the GM.

At last year's TDL, I wasn't expecting Eakins to return. When Eakins returned to coach, then he's just a placeholder to me. Now, I'm in the minority that predicted it'll take a few years before we can begin to compete for the playoffs b/c we're building through the draft defensively. We know that McIlvane, a head coach from Germany, is set to become a coach for San Diego next season, maybe head coach as well. Welp, this feels like Bouchard-Eakins situation again where Bouchard gets a season or two in the AHL before replacing Eakins. That didn't pan out for Bouchard.

If McIlvane is Verbeek's preferred coach of the future, then Eakins would be a good enough placeholder. I like the reporting on McIlvane's coaching, which is similar to Eakins', but maybe McIlvane could take it to another level. We just don't know if he'll pan out just like we didn't know about Bouchard. Bouchard's situation should have us being skeptical.

Reactions: Rybread86
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

This is not an attack against you, but the only ‘intriguing’ options are AHL coaches with little experience? None of those options are particularly exciting

Just stick with him for another year, potentially draft Misa, and build from there (again)

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This is not an attack against you, but the only ‘intriguing’ options are AHL coaches with little experience? None of those options are particularly exciting

Just stick with him for another year, potentially draft Misa, and build from there (again)
That’s what I’ve been saying for some time. The coach you’ll get for a team like this is very likely the next Eakins or Green. Most rookie AHL coaches wind up very quickly being assistants/AHL coaches again.

That’s not necessarily saying Eakins is the answer, but…there are worse coaches than Eakins. Plenty of them have taken much better rosters and done not significantly better.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I'd be really interested to see how well Eakins could coach a talented team. Like, any team... not just the Ducks.

He really seems to be a pretty smart guy when I hear him talk, and yeah, he seems well liked by most players. I also think he's learned a lot in the last few years.

I doubt we will ever know, as his history/record doesn't invoke confidence in him ever being hired a in the NHL as a head coach in the future.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

Another year of a terrible PP? Another year of a terrible PK? Another year of a team that looks absolutely LOST on defense? Another year of giving up 40+ shots a game(Maybe he can beat his own record se this year)? Another year of low scoring, boring games where the Ducks get blown out in the end? Another year of watching the Ducks play soft?

No thanks. Keeping him not only doesn't improve the team or at least fakes like PV is trying to improve the team, it makes things worse. His swarm system either sucks and doesn't work in the NHL or he sucks at teaching it and cant get players to play it. Either way, that is bad news for the Ducks.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That’s what I’ve been saying for some time. The coach you’ll get for a team like this is very likely the next Eakins or Green. Most rookie AHL coaches wind up very quickly being assistants/AHL coaches again.

That’s not necessarily saying Eakins is the answer, but…there are worse coaches than Eakins. Plenty of them have taken much better rosters and done not significantly better.
Please tell me you're not afraid to move on from Eakins because the next guy may not be any better? The future is always a crap shoot but if you aren't going to express any confidence in your new GM to hire a good coach then I'm not sure what to say. We just cannot repeat the disaster of this season going forward.

My belief is we would do better with some fresh blood rather than a retread, but it's wrong (IMO) to think we have to keep a shit coach until we find the next Scotty Bowman. That's just kicking the can down the road with zero guarantee you will get any better a coach then.

We have hit rock bottom. If we make no effort to start climbing out now (next season), when will we?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Please tell me you're not afraid to move on from Eakins because the next guy may not be any better? The future is always a crap shoot but if you aren't going to express any confidence in your new GM to hire a good coach then I'm not sure what to say. We just cannot repeat the disaster of this season going forward.

My belief is we would do better with some fresh blood rather than a retread, but it's wrong (IMO) to think we have to keep a shit coach until we find the next Scotty Bowman. That's just kicking the can down the road with zero guarantee you will get any better a coach then.

We have hit rock bottom. If we make no effort to start climbing out now (next season), when will we?
Not at all. I am pointing out that there’s no actual reason, historically speaking, to think a different AHL coach is the automatic “I win” button people are acting like it is. All the “all we need is ANY different coach and we are a playoff team” is not supported by the facts IMO.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think if Eakins delivers us #32 on Thursday, you let him stay for half the summer as an attaboy! Passed that, he has to go? Letting him stay slides into "definition of insanity" territory.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Not at all. I am pointing out that there’s no actual reason, historically speaking, to think a different AHL coach is the automatic “I win” button people are acting like it is. All the “all we need is ANY different coach and we are a playoff team” is not supported by the facts IMO.
Well, of course, nothing is automatic. It's sports. Bad decisions are always going to be made. But this man has proven he has way too many warts to continue on with him. He's not taking these guys anywhere and if you don't keep marginal players, there's no reason to keep a marginal coach. It's a business. What have you done for me lately? In the case of Eakins it's what have you ever done in your career? Time to move on.

Reactions: KelVarnsen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad