• Do not extend him, find a new head coach

Votes: 91 83.5%
  • I’m indifferent

Votes: 15 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now with 6 games left in another historically bad season, I was curious what everyone thought about Eakins future. There are so many discussions about the draft, free agency, the roster, and etc. Let’s address one of the elephants in the room. Dallas Eakins.

Do you feel it’s time to move on, extend him and get him a better roster, or have you not decided yet.

Just try and keep it civil and respectful, I know emotions are high, but like to get a nice discussion with this.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We have to start trending upward and I'm not sure if he's the right man for the job. However, I would love to keep him in the org in some capacity but not sure if that's all that possible...

He had a shitty balanced roster this year to he fair. I will be woting for change but again, I think he's a really good personality for our franchise, just in some other role.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Earlier in the season, I was indifferent, now I want to move on from him. Yeah some of our kids have progressed he has not been bad with that, but feel they can be doing even better.

Roster sucks I get it but Eakins has to get some of the blame also, as well as the assistants. Our PP and defensive system is just terrible, even if we do have only one Top 4D. But let’s be honest even when we had Lindholm and Manson we were still an up and down team. Just not bottom of the barrel.

If next year is going to be a transition year from bad to a decent team it’s time to make changes all around. Roster and coaching.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
No it’s not but we have to start trending up at least.
Do we? You buy a boat with 10 huge holes in the hull, you spend all summer refurbishing it, new motor, new paint, new upholstery, and you patch up 7 of the holes. Fall comes around and you put that thing in the water, it's going to sink just about as fast as before.

When going from bad to decent is a really long walk, you can put a lot of effort on the journey and still be bad.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Even the best of coaches would have a hard time getting more than middling results from this roster, but I don't think that completely excuses how utterly dreadful the defensive coverage and special teams have been most nights. If we are to build a more competitive environment, you have to bring in a coach who has proven he can maximize players potential, even if just to make the team more respectable while these young players continue to grow.

That first period last night was an example of what you would expect or at least hope to see from a young rebuilding team. Ended up trailing by a goal based on some teachable mistakes but they were competing hard at both ends, created some great chances and could easily say the score could be reversed with a bit of luck. The problem is that we haven't seen nearly enough of those periods put together over the course of the year. A team could easily have the same win loss record but get there in a much less pathetic manner - competing far more often like they did last night for 20 mins but still coming up short most of the time due to talent and experience.

I don't think it's fair to put the blame squarely on coaching, but I also don't have any faith that this coaching is going to cut it either.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It doesn’t matter how well the young players have progressed. He has one of the worst records in NHL history. You can’t bring a coach back like that after 2 bottom 3 finishes in 3 years.
Jeff Blashill finished 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 1st, 6th worst in the league before getting fired. The difference between those years being a bottom 3 finish was 14, 3, 2, 3, 0, 9 - in essence a total of 4 wins away from 4 straight bottom 3 seasons.

Verbeek has been part of a management team that wholeheartedly disagrees with you. Whether or not he feels that way about Eakins is likely tied to whether he feels the team has quit on Eakins or just come to terms with reality.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jeff Blashill finished 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 1st, 6th worst in the league before getting fired. The difference between those years being a bottom 3 finish was 14, 3, 2, 3, 0, 9 - in essence a total of 4 wins away from 4 straight bottom 3 seasons.

Verbeek has been part of a management team that wholeheartedly disagrees with you. Whether or not he feels that way about Eakins is likely tied to whether he feels the team has quit on Eakins or just come to terms with reality.

Not sure what will happen but it’s going to be interesting at least what happens. The draft, free agency, training camp. So many questions.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Could be the personnel we have on D, but i can't stand how passive they are in the offensive and especially neutral zones. I just don't know if Eakins has the vision to implement a dynamic O zone flow like you see with other teams.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I feel like we have much bigger things to address than a new head coach, like putting players on this team that can competently play at the nhl level. You can come up with all the "systems" you want, but career AHL caliber players are only capable of so much.

I still don't think the majority of this shit show is on the coach, however I'm generally
Indifferent to what we do with him after the end of the season. Until PV pulls his head out of his ass and really starts building a team, it won't matter who's behind the bench.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I wouldn't have wanted him to be our coach this season already, but at least his one competence is being a tank commander of the highest order. I just hope we end up with Bedard, Fantili, Carlsson or Michkov after this absolute stinker of a season to have at least some consolation. Move on from the whole coaching staff directly from the exit interviews on and get someone who actually has a track record of progressing a team.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He’s got to go. Players who have played hockey their entire lives cant figure out his D “system.” A couple of cross ice passes and the entire team is lost in the D zone. How many tap in back door goals have the Ducks given up this season? A lot.

Either he really sucks at coaching his “system” or it’s so difficult to play the entire group of players are so dumb they can’t figure it out.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's interesting to think about when exactly this team will need more of what Eakins is weak in, tactics, vs. what he is strong in, prospect development and relationship building. Burrito is probably right, next year is likely not that time.

In a perfect world Eakins improves his tactics, but a lot of that might rest on the assistants in his employ who have failed miserably this season.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Eakins is a good person, players like him, they generally don't quit, and he helps develop prospects. I think when Ward left and the obvious change in the way the team played after illustrates the issue. Eakins is not able to provide structure to the team.

Yes, players are developing but they need to learn successful systems as well. They are only getting half currently. It's time for wholesale changes imo. I would replace every coach. Status quo is not enough regardless of what roster changes PV makes this summer.

Reactions: Static

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
After a season like this, someone has to take responsibility. It isn't going to be Verbeek, no matter how much he deserves some of the blame, since he just got here. So it has to be Eakins and the rest of the coaching staff. If you bring Eakins back you are telling the players to give up before the season starts since you expect next season to be just as awful.

I don't expect the Ducks to make the playoffs next year, but I do expect that they will be better. That will require better coaching than they are getting, and better coaching will require a complete new coaching staff.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i also wish eakins would remain with the org in some capacity, but that won't happen if he's fired. he's a shit NHL coach but there's no denying he's good at helping develop young talent. stand up human being as well

Reactions: Boo Boo

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I'm not saying I know what PV will do. But in fairness, there's a whole lot to digest in the Blashill situation. I don't follow the Wings and have no idea but I'm curious what kind of contract situations went on there. How many times was he renewed? For how long? What type of history did Blashill have with the Wings or with Stevie Y? What were the Wings doing while turning in such awful performances? What was Stevie telling the fans each year? Was he perhaps actually committed at first to Blashill before deciding to change?

And while I'm sure PV is a solid disciple of Stevie, it doesn't mean he couldn't have disagreed at times. Then there's the fact that maybe in hindsight PV and Stevie would agree they made a mistake keeping him that long?

Lastly, I wonder if PV told Henry he would be content to have the team rot for 6 years before expecting to see improvement. And Henry was OK with that?

For sure there is a lot to digest about that history but unfortunately we are left without any real answers as to what went on and why. So, I don't think it's a given that it's a slam dunk model that will be followed...unless of course it is. :laugh:

I guess I would be surprised to see Eakins back, but I've learned, it's only sports. Que sera sera.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I think at the very least, no matter what PV's plan is, every member of the coaching staff beyond Eakins and Stothers has to go.
I am 100% on board with keeping Stothers as part of the org, even if it's just a cushy consultant gig where he doesn't do have to do anything.

But do we like him as an actual coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad