Dallas Eakins….He Was So Bad That He Actually Turned The Franchise Around

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
How did MacT throw Lowe under the bus? He threw Tambellini under the bus and Lowe was more than on board with that... Considering he did it himself in the press conference announcing MacT as GM.

As for Lowe being against hiring Eakins... Even if we accept that as true, then it just goes to show that Lowe was more involved in hockey ops than they'd ever admit and, consequently, is personally responsible for the last nine years of dysfunction.

MacT was a bad GM but Lowe may go down as the worst executive in hockey history.

Only one man is responsible....the one who said.."Folk's, I think it's time for a rebuild.."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sure, there's some value in that kind of passion and loyalty... But not when it comes completely unanchored from any kind of common sense or intelligence. Any time Lowe has come out guns blazing to defend the Oilers brand, he's been embarassing and cringe-worthy: extorting Comrie, slagging Bobby Ryan, 'I know a thing or two about winning'...

Lowe is the guy you need to keep an eye on in a barn brawl because he's just as likely to go outside and set the whole place on fire with you still in it.
I got the impression Mactavish was talking about more than Tambellini. That exchange happened when reporters were talking about his alleged involvement in the management decisions while he was still coaching. That's why he wanted to make it clear he was only involved in management for 18 or 19 or 20 months. To be honest I thought those comments were just as much about Lowe's days as GM as they were about Twmbellini's. The serious damage to the organization was done before Tambellini even got here. Tamby didn't fix anything while he was here but he certainly didn't create the mess.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
ha ha, no doubt. Some one soooooo has to write a book about the Lowe years. The market deserves to know what the heck really went on here. I might have to somehow get ahold of Laforge (wonder if he's on LinkedIn?); he should get together with Spec or McKinnon and write a book about this. I don't know him, but I know people who do. If anyone knows Laforge or Spec (or MacGregor), throw it buy em.

Man, the more I think about it, I should write this book. Just gotta find someone who will talk.

Nailed it!!!! :yo::handclap:

I think that's exactly how it went down.
I would buy that book the day it went on sale.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
As bad as Lowe is, and I've been calling for his removal from the organization since 2007, I think Mactavish is the guy that needs to be gone the most.

100% agree.

With people like MacT and Howson still around I bet it's more difficult for Chiarelli to make difficult but necessary moves like buying out Nikitin because you would constantly have the old regime defending their mistake in the hopes that he can show that he was worth his massive contract.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Howson is a underestimated cancer. I once served some pilots who flew for the Blue Jackets when they were in town. Those guys said Howson was an idiot and the team was so much better the second he was out the door.

Also said they (pilots) were party responsible for the NHL changing road trips from CGY>EDM>VAN to EDM>CAL>VAN which is why we seem to get primarily the first night of back to back games in Alberta rather than the second.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think Howson is a underestimated cancer. I once served some pilots who flew for the Blue Jackets when they were in town. Those guys said Howson was an idiot and the team was so much better the second he was out the door.

Also said they (pilots) were party responsible for the NHL changing road trips from CGY>EDM>VAN to EDM>CAL>VAN which is why we seem to get primarily the first night of back to back games in Alberta rather than the second.
2015-16 season says hi. This season Oilers have more games when the other team plays the 2nd in a row.

I find it really interesting how other teams bash the person they fired as being the bad guy. Howson actually did good things in Columbus but isn't getting credit for it.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
Maybe after a season ruining the Duck's farm team, we can trade for Gibson :naughty:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
We know they're going to have some really boring practices!!

the one thing people never mention which is the obvious of why a guy can be successful as a coach in the AHL vs NHL.

Job security and pay in the Ahl is low, and your fighting for a job with the potential to make money in the Nhl and have all the perks and benefits.

in the nhl you have vets and people who may have there own personal motivation but you don't have players that will sacrifice and do everything if they don't respect you, and if they don't believe in what your saying

Eakins was good as an AHL coach cause players are already motivated and willing to do whatever. If i am in the NHL and i see some of the stuff Eakins does and says i just laugh how beyond ridiculous it is (his motivation and technical knowledge).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad