Dallas Eakins….He Was So Bad That He Actually Turned The Franchise Around

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oct 2013: "we're not looking to develop here anymore, it's time to win hockey games"
-Dallas Eakins

April 2015 "next year is another developmental year"
-MacT

talk about not having a clue what kind of hockey club you have...astounding they kept their jobs as long as they did :shakehead:help:

Lowe and MacT were signing the same tune as Eakins back in 2013. They seriously thought "success was coming" (MacT quote from 2013). Unfortunately, 2 years later they finally all realized they had no clue how to build a team and were scrambling to try to lower expectations and keep their jobs. Unfortunately, fans and likely Katz were no longer interested in low expectations. Lowe decided to throw MacT to the dogs and run away and hide again in the "business side" (like when he ran away from his GM failures to become POHO) probably never to be heard from again, thank goodness, and MacT with all his pride accepted a demotion. They have a million lives thanks to their friendship with Katz, but thank goodness we finally have some competent people in management.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Of course they were oblivious to how others saw them. Mactavish said in a press conference that other GM's were telling him he was on the right track and to stay the course. Other GM's who were in direct competition with him were telling him his last place team was on track and to stay the course.:laugh: :shakehead. Not only did the dumbest man in hockey buy this but he thought it was good ammunition to use on the fans in defense of his job. To quote Replacement, "you can't make this stuff up"

ha ha, no doubt. Some one soooooo has to write a book about the Lowe years. The market deserves to know what the heck really went on here. I might have to somehow get ahold of Laforge (wonder if he's on LinkedIn?); he should get together with Spec or McKinnon and write a book about this. I don't know him, but I know people who do. If anyone knows Laforge or Spec (or MacGregor), throw it buy em.

Man, the more I think about it, I should write this book. Just gotta find someone who will talk.

Lowe and MacT were signing the same tune as Eakins back in 2013. They seriously thought "success was coming" (MacT quote from 2013). Unfortunately, 2 years later they finally all realized they had no clue how to build a team and were scrambling to try to lower expectations and keep their jobs. Unfortunately, fans and likely Katz were no longer interested in low expectations. Lowe decided to throw MacT to the dogs and run away and hide again in the "business side" (like when he ran away from his GM failures to become POHO) probably never to be heard from again, thank goodness, and MacT with all his pride accepted a demotion. They have a million lives thanks to their friendship with Katz, but thank goodness we finally have some competent people in management.

Nailed it!!!! :yo::handclap:

I think that's exactly how it went down.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
ha ha, no doubt. Some one soooooo has to write a book about the Lowe years. The market deserves to know what the heck really went on here. I might have to somehow get ahold of Laforge (wonder if he's on LinkedIn?); he should get together with Spec or McKinnon and write a book about this. I don't know him, but I know people who do. If anyone knows Laforge or Spec (or MacGregor), throw it buy em.

Man, the more I think about it, I should write this book. Just gotta find someone who will talk.

Nailed it!!!! :yo::handclap:

I think that's exactly how it went down.
Lowe and MacT don't get along anymore.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Lowe and MacT don't get along anymore.

that could be.

man, how things changed for them. they thought they had all the answers. they thought the job was easy and anyone who had won cups could do it.

But, wait, if and when they ever win the cup, they'll both be in the dressing pouring Champaigne over each other, high-fiving and patting each other on the back. They'll be in the parade and they'll be in the team photo. And I don't mean the official, yearly photo, I mean the spontaneous photo on the ice after the victory laps. (if...IF.... they ever win it, of course)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As bad as Lowe is, and I've been calling for his removal from the organization since 2007, I think Mactavish is the guy that needs to be gone the most.

Agreed. Lowe is like a crazy uncle but he'll be there for us if there's ever a barn brawl! :naughty: As much **** as I've given him I have little doubt that the relationships that he's built with Nicholson and Chia helped lead to them coming here. He also seemed to have the sense that he should step down/step back while MacT seems to not want to own any of the stink here which is the ***** way of doing things IMO.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Agreed. Lowe is like a crazy uncle but he'll be there for us if there's ever a barn brawl! :naughty: As much **** as I've given him I have little doubt that the relationships that he's built with Nicholson and Chia helped lead to them coming here. He also seemed to have the sense that he should step down/step back while MacT seems to not want to own any of the stink here which is the ***** way of doing things IMO.

hmmm. yeah, I suppose.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would question Narnia on a lot of things, but Kevin Lowe isn't one of them. Not that she's ever said anything to me, just a hunch.

There's only one proven trustworthy poster on this forum and that's Speedyturtle. So unless there is a source, I'm not taking anyone's word for it. Regardless of the poster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There's only one proven trustworthy poster on this forum and that's Speedyturtle. So unless there is a source, I'm not taking anyone's word for it. Regardless of the poster.

There's more than one but Speedy is the only one that openly tosses out insider info to the open board.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's more than one but Speedy is the only one that openly tosses out insider info to the open board.

There's only one. Don't forget, I was a mod for a long time here too. This board doesn't have any insiders outside of Speedyturtle. And with no disrespect to Narnia, she most certainly is not one. I don't think she'd suggest she was in any regard.

Hence being curious why she has drawn the conclusion that MacT/Lowe don't get along.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There's only one. Don't forget, I was a mod for a long time here too. This board doesn't have any insiders outside of Speedyturtle. And with no disrespect to Narnia, she most certainly is not one. I don't think she'd suggest she was in any regard.

Hence being curious why she has drawn the conclusion that MacT/Lowe don't get along.

There's only one that you know about. I have met a lot of people over the years here from relatives and friends of players, people with specific sources and one other person with a broad range of sources. That said they are definitely few and far between. Just because only 1 poster decides to post inside info does not mean that there are no other people with knowledge beyond the normal fan base.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

There might be only one true insider, but there are alot of people who know an insider. And even more know someone in the media. Its not like 100% of all hearsay shared is 100% false. Probably 90 to 99%, but not 100%.

Problem is we just don't which info has some basis in fact.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There might be only one true insider, but there are alot of people who know an insider. And even more know someone in the media. Its not like 100% of all hearsay shared is 100% false. Probably 90 to 99%, but not 100%.

Problem is we just don't which info has some basis in fact.

It comes down to people proving that they have a source by having multiple things that they pass along come true. Anyone can throw darts at a board and hit the bullseye sooner or later, it's about a track record.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
p2kpqAv.jpg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I can totally see it playing out similar to what you say. Lowe starts realizing he will never figure it out as POHO. MacT starts to throw Lowe and everyone before him under the bus to try to make himself look better (of course it's totally fair for MacT to talk badly about Lowe and Tambo's running of the team, but he was no better himself), which starts to kill Lowe's loyalty to him. Lowe decides the best way for him to stay safe is to play the part of bringing in a new regime and he doesn't mind at all any more that MacT will be cast aside by it. Lowe gets to be one of the main architects in Katz's eyes of the new Chiarelli lead Hockey Ops. And Lowe gets to keep a cushy job with the very difficult task of selling hockey to a fan base that climbs over each other to see a 30th place team.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
How did MacT throw Lowe under the bus? He threw Tambellini under the bus and Lowe was more than on board with that... Considering he did it himself in the press conference announcing MacT as GM.

As for Lowe being against hiring Eakins... Even if we accept that as true, then it just goes to show that Lowe was more involved in hockey ops than they'd ever admit and, consequently, is personally responsible for the last nine years of dysfunction.

MacT was a bad GM but Lowe may go down as the worst executive in hockey history.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed. Lowe is like a crazy uncle but he'll be there for us if there's ever a barn brawl!

Sure, there's some value in that kind of passion and loyalty... But not when it comes completely unanchored from any kind of common sense or intelligence. Any time Lowe has come out guns blazing to defend the Oilers brand, he's been embarassing and cringe-worthy: extorting Comrie, slagging Bobby Ryan, 'I know a thing or two about winning'...

Lowe is the guy you need to keep an eye on in a barn brawl because he's just as likely to go outside and set the whole place on fire with you still in it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How did MacT throw Lowe under the bus? He threw Tambellini under the bus and Lowe was more than on board with that... Considering he did it himself in the press conference announcing MacT as GM.

As for Lowe being against hiring Eakins... Even if we accept that as true, then it just goes to show that Lowe was more involved in hockey ops than they'd ever admit and, consequently, is personally responsible for the last nine years of dysfunction.

MacT was a bad GM but Lowe may go down as the worst executive in hockey history.

Was MacT only talking about Tambo? I think his comments started to be about hockey ops as a whole. And MacT would know very well how involved Lowe was too. Lowe would know that any comment from MacT insulting how the team was handled before he joined would be an insult to Lowe as well as Tambo because Lowe has always been very involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad